Their back!!!

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Their back!!!

Postby ohio mike » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:43 pm

Lots of divers (Hoodies,Bluebills,Coots,and Ruddies)to name a few.Mallards and a few Woodies too.A few geese are already setting.If you like hunting with a camera now is the time to throw out a few decoys.Me I'm going fishing this weekend.And a good time will be had by all!
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Re: Their back!!!

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:52 pm

I'll be home from school in a couple days and hope to catch up with some friends and do some fishing too. Hopefully we will get to see some birds moving around while we are out.
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:03 pm

Wife caught this Northern Shoveler the other evening - we were setup with some dekes but the light was getting low. Assumedly travelling back north with his hen. I don't see many of these.

Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Botiz630 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:04 pm

Yeah, I have only seen one shoveler in this part of Ohio. Thanks for posting the pic, I think they are pretty ducks. Oh and that one I saw, he came home with me :yes:
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:51 am

Botiz630 wrote:Yeah, I have only seen one shoveler in this part of Ohio. Thanks for posting the pic, I think they are pretty ducks. Oh and that one I saw, he came home with me :yes:

lololol...well the pair that came in would sure have been a double (easier than I ever get when holding a gun). :yes: I doubt my Mallard Hen Hail call brought 'em in - I think they just wanted to land. :lol3:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ohio mike » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:53 pm

Nice! Just have one question.Do you shoot all your ducks on the water?
ohio mike
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:42 am

ohio mike wrote:Nice! Just have one question.Do you shoot all your ducks on the water?

lololol...NEVER with the gun and wife tries not to with the camera. Unfortunately the light was low such that the winged shots had too much blur worth editing.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby sc83 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:14 pm

Seen several dozen blue wing teal at Caesars creek the other day.
sc83
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:38 pm

Saw something really strange Monday at Indian Lake.A hen mallard has set up residence in the top of a broken off tree about 20 ft off the ground,she got ticked because we were around and flew over and landed on the peak of the cottage on the little island she's on.The goofey thing thinks she's a Woodie.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:00 pm

sc83 wrote:Seen several dozen blue wing teal at Caesars creek the other day.

If there is one thing I have never seen at CC it is teal of any kind. Must have been cool to see.
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:39 am

ohio mike wrote:Saw something really strange Monday at Indian Lake.A hen mallard has set up residence in the top of a broken off tree about 20 ft off the ground,she got ticked because we were around and flew over and landed on the peak of the cottage on the little island she's on.The goofey thing thinks she's a Woodie.

lol...Mike I honestly wonder sometimes what they are thinkin'. :yes: So how does a duckling get back up that tree at night? Funny part is though - they probably find a way and I am too dumb to figure it out. :bow:

It'd be interesting to see a breakdown of the mortality rate on chicks and gosslings. Saw a farmer spraying his summer field the other day with a big ole tractor while a few dozen geese watched on - - supposedly pissed off he was tracking through their nesting ground.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby sc83 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:03 pm

Botiz630 wrote:
sc83 wrote:Seen several dozen blue wing teal at Caesars creek the other day.

If there is one thing I have never seen at CC it is teal of any kind. Must have been cool to see.

Yeah, they are neat to see. See them by the dozen in the spring. There's lots of them on the little ponds in the north half of the wildlife area. See pinnies and shovelers every now and then too. Never see them during season back there.
sc83
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:47 pm

sc83 wrote: Never see them during season back there.

Haha, ain't that the way it always goes?
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting