GSM

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

GSM

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:58 pm

Boys - what a tragedy at Grand Lake St Mary's. Sounds like it's been coming on for years but whoa...sounds pretty bad.

What's the latest from those who hunt it or have hunted it?
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Re: GSM

Postby ohio mike » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:32 pm

Its in horrible shape,stinks and is dying on the vine.The price of real estate is wayyyy down.This lake used to be rated in the top five for the entire country for Crappie.I know a guy who closed his bait shop and moved it to Indian Lake.He still lives at Grand,but won't fish it at all.The duck hunting used to be good,and I hear it still is,but I wouldn't put a dog in it.At least not while its still warm.They had a few die last year from drinking the water!Its almost entirely caused by livestock run off.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby sc83 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:33 pm

Local news ran a peice on it a few weeks back. Not doing to well from reports. News said a algae bloom occured adn turned a portion of the lake blue/green with a thick green slime floating on the surface.
sc83
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:54 pm

What a shame!

Mike - I did not know it used to be a such a good Crappie lake.

Yea...that Blue Algae will kill a dog for sure. Looks like I might pass on my $3.00 chance of a blind Draw there this year.

Are there a bunch of Chicken or Dairy Farms out that way?
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ohio mike » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:13 pm

Yep and hog farms too,does the term Megafarm ring a bell.By the way I worked with guys that grew up there,they said at one time the pike would spawn in the shallows in the spring like carp.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:30 am

Holy Smokes - So I hear that despite serious warnings about even going to the lake, not touching the water and certainly not eating the fish...the City Council (or something to that effect) have blessed a hydro-boat race on the lake?

Now this is a guess but I believe the State ODNR would have to issue a permit for this use.

Isn't someone asking for a huge lawsuit somewhere?

Reminds me of the Jaws episode where the Mayor keeps the beach open for revenue...and of course...GULP!!

I feel for the area...just hard to figure the boat race in at this point? I must be missing something.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ohio mike » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:58 am

According to the Lima News Grand Lake advocates now have a facebook page. www.facebook.com/LakeImprovement for anybody that wants to check it out.I haven't yet.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:12 pm

Thanks Mike - I drilled into some of it. Sounds like some ideas going on. I don't FaceBook but could still see some stuff. :thumbsup:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ohio mike » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:02 pm

Talked to the owner of Mikes Bait Shop at Indian Lake today,he's from ST Marys and lives a hundred yards from the lake.Was telling me the neighbors Lab went into the lake and despite a bath right away and a trip to the Vet it died.Heres the real kicker the Dad of the family is the one who gave it the bath and he's in the hospital in rough shape.My guess the chances of getting a blind draw there this year would be good. :mad:
ohio mike
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:26 am

ohio mike wrote:Talked to the owner of Mikes Bait Shop at Indian Lake today,he's from ST Marys and lives a hundred yards from the lake.Was telling me the neighbors Lab went into the lake and despite a bath right away and a trip to the Vet it died.Heres the real kicker the Dad of the family is the one who gave it the bath and he's in the hospital in rough shape.My guess the chances of getting a blind draw there this year would be good. :mad:

Ouch...how in earth can they hold a boat race then?
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby jsa » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:43 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
ohio mike wrote:Talked to the owner of Mikes Bait Shop at Indian Lake today,he's from ST Marys and lives a hundred yards from the lake.Was telling me the neighbors Lab went into the lake and despite a bath right away and a trip to the Vet it died.Heres the real kicker the Dad of the family is the one who gave it the bath and he's in the hospital in rough shape.My guess the chances of getting a blind draw there this year would be good. :mad:

Ouch...how in earth can they hold a boat race then?

Depending the type of boats, no one on those teams touches the water. A lot of boats are lifted from their trailer by crane and set in the water, the driver is usually wearing a fire suit so there's no skin exposed. The only concern would be if there were an accident and the driver went in.

Still a lot of risk there if the water is that toxic. Nasty
jsa
State Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:57 pm

Good point....I was as much thinking about little Johnny whose Mommy brought him to the lake to watch a boat race. Not like those boats don't throw a rooster tail up into the air/wind, right? Maybe they'll put razor ribbon up around the lake.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby jsa » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:58 pm

just imagine a tunnel hull making a 40mph turn throwing a big rooster tail with a strong wind on a sunny day. You know someone would think that mist just feels great!
jsa
State Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:43 pm

Didn't read it or confirm it but heard the Governor finally governed something and cancelled the permit for the boat race.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ohio mike » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:28 am

Yep,finally gonna get their heads outta their *** the way it sounds .New strict rules about manure,and their talking dredging the lake and making some islands with the material to get the nutrients out of the lake.About time some of the folks down there have been warning about this for years!
ohio mike
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:26 am

ohio mike wrote:Yep,finally gonna get their heads outta their *** the way it sounds .New strict rules about manure,and their talking dredging the lake and making some islands with the material to get the nutrients out of the lake.About time some of the folks down there have been warning about this for years!

That's amazing Mike. Stuff like this doesn't happen in a year - seen plenty of drier, algae laden summers than this one.

It's a blood-boiler to think the State, County, District, (whoever) is that asleep at the wheel on this. :rolleyes:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ohio mike » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:43 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
ohio mike wrote:Yep,finally gonna get their heads outta their *** the way it sounds .New strict rules about manure,and their talking dredging the lake and making some islands with the material to get the nutrients out of the lake.About time some of the folks down there have been warning about this for years!

That's amazing Mike. Stuff like this doesn't happen in a year - seen plenty of drier, algae laden summers than this one.

It's a blood-boiler to think the State, County, District, (whoever) is that asleep at the wheel on this. :rolleyes:

Don't forget the Feds.The farm lobby has a lot of pull in this area and we'll end up paying millons in subsidies to clean this up!
ohio mike
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:34 pm

Just announced today there will be a blind drawing at Grand Lake,HOWEVER the the permits will be held until and if the lake is deemed safe.At the present time its unsafe for dog or human to be in the water or to touch any bird or other animal thats been in the water.IT COULD KILL YOU.At the present time hunting and fishing is off limits at Grand Lake.Also raises the question.What if a duck leaves Grand Lake and goes to say the Scioto or Ohio river and still has that crap on it?Maybe even Delaware or Alum Creek.Thats a short nonstop flight for a duck or goose.Kinda scarey isn't it?
ohio mike
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting