OFF TOPIC/DEER HUNTING QUESTION

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, cartervj, jsa

OFF TOPIC/DEER HUNTING QUESTION

Postby CHSAPKS » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:05 am

Have any of you duck hunters deer hunted on public lands in Muskingum County? Particularly Tri-Valley Wildlife area, and Woodbury wildlife area. I am heading out their in late November so any insight would be much appreciated, I know their will be the orange army every where but if their is anyone that could give me an idea on how to avoid this some what on public land I would be very grateful.

Thanks to anyone that can help a fellow hunter out!!!
CHSAPKS
hunter

Re: OFF TOPIC/DEER HUNTING QUESTION

Postby sc83 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:51 pm

Never hunted that area myself, but best advice would be get some maps and try and find the farthest spots from any roads and hunt there. Good luck,
sc83
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:00 pm

I hunt and fish them both. I assume you're talking the deer gun season?

Yes - you can absolutely expect an Orange Army - big time. You're arriving to the best deer counties in Ohio - they draw from all over the state. Ohio's deer gun season is only slightly longer than a week. 500,000 hunters.

10,000's of thousands of acres on the two areas you mentioned - can't really help with location - after the first hour deer will be were they weren't before and visa versa.

I would just get there a few days early and look around. Know where you are - reclaimed strip land all looks the same.

Good luck - you can have fun but it will be crowded.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby CHSAPKS » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:59 pm

Yes, it will be during the gun season. We are staying at the Dillon state park, and will be arriving one day early prior to the opening day. We plan on scouting hard that day and looking for some area were we can get away from the crowds, I will walk two miles if need be. Is one area better than the other, or are they equal in hunting pressure. One question I have is it seams that their is allot of open country in the Tri Valley area, is the Woodbury area the same??? I plan on getting a topo book of Ohio so I can look at the area a little better.

Thanks!!!!!!!!
CHSAPKS
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:46 pm

I'd Google Earth both. Woodbury is more grown up. You'll have to walk at least two miles - and of course...that far out with a deer if you get one. Lots of pressure everywhere. I am not a fan of posting much information on the web...sorry. Lots of land, lots of deer, lots of people. Both areas have advantages and disadvantages...showing up and not knowing the area your best bet is luck anyway.

Have fun.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby andrew_kirby » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:40 am

All ill tell you is goodluck if you arent from around the area you already at a major disadvantage then you ad in the idea that a good majority of the serious hunters know what way to walk the 2 miles like your planning to get away from everybody. Every piece of public land in ohio becomes a warzone in during that time. Thats why i stick to the private land surrounding it which is a little easier to do to the north than down there.
andrew_kirby
State Moderator

Postby birddog1148 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:06 pm

I lived real close in Perry co (next co sw of muskingum co) the last 10 years, them boys there start driving on opening day. They dont sit, but not sure of the exact area you are going to.
will hunt for food.
birddog1148
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting