Duck Hunting Forum banner

Hunting Legality Question

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  alanwebfoot 
#1 ·
I'm trying to find the exact rules on where it is legal or not to hunt. Here is my question. Is it legal to be hunting on water anywhere, so long as your outside the city limits? I know that water ways like rivers and lakes are not owned by any individual even if the river passes through someones back yard. But is it legal to hunt on the water, not on the bank, on any public body of water not in the city limts? I have a river that I want to hunt but have no way of doing it other than boating out of the city limits and then plopping my boat up against some reeds. Let me know if you have any insight.

#2 ·
Per the other post...keep in mind every body of water is owned by somebody, including the Fed, State, City, County, Metro, Private, etc.

It's probably best to separate your question and carve out stream/river from lake/pond. For instance - floating moving water, (aside from the touching bottom on private land issue) or (securing our boat to their shoreline) you have to factor in bridges, roads, township limits, etc. Some of those may restrict 'shooting' but not navigating through. You also have entry points to consider.

Public State Park lakes have area restrictions a you know. Ponds less so as long as they are in wildlife areas. Private water is just that so permission would have to be granted.

Long story short there is no one big answer to your question - even online. Your best bet is identify the water you are interested in and check specifically around your opportunity to use them.

#4 ·
Heres what I found by calling game warden, city police, conservancey and county sherriff. You have to find out who is in charge of that water way. For instance there is a river by my house that it is legal to hunt on the north side but, not the south side due to the agiencies that are incharge of it. I am not talking about from the bank. They will actually get you from hunting the water. So just make sure you call everyone and be specific.

#5 ·
you can ''legally'' float a river without tying off to a bank owned by a private individual,which I/d like to do,, my backyard is the Scioto ,here's the downside it's really not too neighborly like in the duck hunting world to float past a spread of decoys and mess up a hunt for someone else ,land leases pose a whole new problem banks of creeks rivers bordering the lease ,best bet is do your homework ,like someone else said you'll work harder for a bad day duck hunting than anything else going but we come back and do it again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.