Controlled Hunts

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Controlled Hunts

Postby amsrc11 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:30 am

i just wanted to put this up to see if anyone drew a controlled hunt. if i remember correctley they don't announce the winners untill september. Good luck to all!
amsrc11
hunter

Re: Controlled Hunts

Postby jsa » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:00 am

hoping to get a spot for the dove opener at Fallsville, does that count?
jsa
State Moderator

Postby tstroud05 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:08 am

I'll be there too JSA.
Hey there 'lil fella', ready to meet your maker?
tstroud05
hunter

Postby amsrc11 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:14 am

yes that counts....i put in for ottawa and magee.
amsrc11
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:39 pm

I put in magee and ottawa as well. Seems they usually post ahead of their anticipated mid-september date so I look every few days.

If drawn - hope the weather cooperates with the dates. :thumbsup:
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby sc83 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:18 pm

I put in for the duck hunts and for the NASA and Ravenna deer hunts. Hoping to get at least one of them. I'll be going to Spring Valley for the dove hunts. Hopefully will get drawn for those as well.
sc83
hunter

Postby sc83 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:26 pm

Just checked and me and my two brothers went a combined 1-16. Oldest brother got a Mercer on 1-5.
sc83
hunter

Postby jsa » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:59 pm

3 out of our 5 went to Fallsville today and pulled 2 spots for Wed. I think 2 of will head to Paint Creek.
jsa
State Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:46 pm

No draw for me this year - I only entered Ottawa and Magee -kinda relieved. They can be super hunts or they can be complete duds with a supporting cast of sky busters. It is a good experience if you've never been regardless of the days bag but after that...it's a fair drive and an over nighter you want weather in your favor to make it worth while.

Good luck guys - haul someones trash out of those dove spots...one of these days I think the State boys will have had enough!
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby amsrc11 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:48 pm

got lucky drawed magee on oct. 27. first time up there. hope it goes good. any info that anyone has about the location and what to expect would be much appreciated.
amsrc11
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:53 pm

amsrc11 wrote:got lucky drawed magee on oct. 27. first time up there. hope it goes good. any info that anyone has about the location and what to expect would be much appreciated.

Do you have a good dog?
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby tstroud05 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:43 pm

Yea, me and my buddy didn't get drawn for the dove hunt. (I'm jealous JSA!) May just hunt at dad's place. Don't know. Will probably go up Thursday to Fallsville.
Hey there 'lil fella', ready to meet your maker?
tstroud05
hunter

Postby sc83 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:27 pm

amsrc11 wrote:got lucky drawed magee on oct. 27. first time up there. hope it goes good. any info that anyone has about the location and what to expect would be much appreciated.

That early in the season should be decent. Hope for some wind to get the birds up off the lake and into the marsh. You have to be at the check station around 330 I believe, they check you in, you draw a ball out a bucket to determine which blind you will have for the day. They then will give you a little talk and tell you to get all your gear ready. This is by far the best part- they then tow you out in a chain of about 6 boats and will unhook you when you get to your zone of the marsh. It is then up to you to navigate in the dark to your blind and have a good day duck hunting. You can row back early if you want(you'll only make that mistake one time) or wait till noon when they will come back around to pick you up. As already stated it's all up to the weather with these duck hunts. Been to magee 3 times adn killed birds every trip, been to Ottawa twice and rotted in the blind both times.
Good luck and congrats.
sc83
hunter

Postby amsrc11 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:38 pm

thanks for the info!!! it really helps. im very excited to go on this hunt. i mostly am a field goose hunter. i started out duck hunting. hope we have some good duck weather on that day.
amsrc11
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:13 pm

sc83 wrote:

That early in the season should be decent. Hope for some wind to get the birds up off the lake and into the marsh. You have to be at the check station around 330 I believe, they check you in, you draw a ball out a bucket to determine which blind you will have for the day. They then will give you a little talk and tell you to get all your gear ready. This is by far the best part- they then tow you out in a chain of about 6 boats and will unhook you when you get to your zone of the marsh. It is then up to you to navigate in the dark to your blind and have a good day duck hunting. You can row back early if you want(you'll only make that mistake one time) or wait till noon when they will come back around to pick you up. As already stated it's all up to the weather with these duck hunts. Been to magee 3 times adn killed birds every trip, been to Ottawa twice and rotted in the blind both times.
Good luck and congrats.

That's a good summation! :thumbsup:

The reason I asked if you had a dog was that the marsh growth is VERY thick. It can be hard to walk in and VERY difficult to retrieve cripple birds. If you don't have a good dog - pummel ducks that hit the water alive or you'll spend an hour looking for your cripple.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby sc83 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:23 pm

Yeah I should of mentioned the dog. IF you have one bring it. Only tip is leave it in the car till you're gonna leave. Always seems to be one jackass with his dog off its leash just runnin around pissin on everything. Have even heard of dogs gettin in to it with other dogs. I have been lucky enough to hunt that place the last 3 yrs. Have only lost 2 birds in there and that was last year(didn't have a dog that time). We knocked down two mallards early and still had birds workin so we let them sit for a minute knocked down two more and went to retreive and couldn't find the first two. Had them marked just outside the decoys and they were gone. Either dove under and clamped on to some vegitation or swam into the marsh grass. Looked all morning when the action would slow, but couldn't find em for the life of us.
sc83
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:35 am

May get agreement or disagreement here from those that have been...

I would take a few goose floaters up there and maybe 8-10 mallard dekes and put the ducks in pairs/trips outside the geese. If you have a spinner, only use that for 30 minutes after shooting light.

It's more important to put out a SAFE looking spread than anything else.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting