Ohio Rivers and Public lands

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Ohio Rivers and Public lands

Postby BrentPrice » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:49 am

Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to waterfowl hunting, however I have been around hunting all my life so I understand the value and secretness of your personal hunting spots. I'm not asking for any locations on where yall kill a lot of birds at, but I would like to know if anyone knows of any rivers in OH that run against public land so I may be able to take my boat out and do some duck hunting. Seems as though waterfowl hunting maybe a little more difficult to find hunting spots than deer hunting or other game. I went to the state parks blind drawing but because I don't know anyone else who duck hunts I had a small chance of getting drawn, and I didn't get drawn. So now I'm trying to back up and punt, but I don't know of any places to go. If anyone has any ideas that may help me I would appreciate it, again I know how personal hunting spots are so I'm just asking for places that maybe you have heard or or visited once or twice yourself. Thanks in advance!
BrentPrice
hunter

Re: Ohio Rivers and Public lands

Postby sc83 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:27 pm

Where are you located?
sc83
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:26 pm

BrentPrice wrote:Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to waterfowl hunting, however I have been around hunting all my life so I understand the value and secretness of your personal hunting spots. I'm not asking for any locations on where yall kill a lot of birds at, but I would like to know if anyone knows of any rivers in OH that run against public land so I may be able to take my boat out and do some duck hunting. Seems as though waterfowl hunting maybe a little more difficult to find hunting spots than deer hunting or other game. I went to the state parks blind drawing but because I don't know anyone else who duck hunts I had a small chance of getting drawn, and I didn't get drawn. So now I'm trying to back up and punt, but I don't know of any places to go. If anyone has any ideas that may help me I would appreciate it, again I know how personal hunting spots are so I'm just asking for places that maybe you have heard or or visited once or twice yourself. Thanks in advance!

Nothing personal but this and other sites get flooded before the season with help for 'spots'. Asking for information on hunting spots as POST #1 makes people especially suspicious.

River hunting around public land is tricky.

How bout sharing what work you have done to figure this out - other than showing up at a blind drawing. As above...a little help on where you are in Ohio isn't a bad idea either.

Yes, Ohio is full of deer and not ducks.

Have you been to the ODNR website and if so - did you drive out to take a look?
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ohio mike » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:53 pm

Sandusky Bay,just stay out of the refuge area.Most guys who layout hunt call the boat blind hunters "rock huggers" because of the riprap.Hunt upstream of the bay bridge.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby BrentPrice » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:39 am

I'm with ya on the scouters trying to get "spots" before season. That makes sense that I could appear a little suspicious, however that is not my goal. I am from the Dayton area, do most of my deer hunting in the Chilicothe area. I contacted the Ceasar's Creek wildlife officer and he told me I could hunt on the lake in the hunting areas as long as I'm 100 yards away from a blind location. But, I'm not sure I will do that, just not in to "pay-laking" off someone elses blind spot. I'm not expecting people to just throw out spots and say here ya go, go kill 'em. Outside of that, I have contacted Ohio wildlife about legal issues with hunting rivers and stream, looked in parcel county maps for areas that I may ask the land owner for permission, and studied Ohio map for possible rivers that run against public land such as Wayne National. Finding even public areas is a tall order. My dad has a farm pond that I have learned to hut duck and geese from for the past 2 years, but its so shallow it freezes up early, plus there is a river that runs thru an Air Force base right beside our property that they fly into, and that whole part of the river is restricted. Is there local clubs that hunters can join to help build a network of buddies who hunt? Thanks.
BrentPrice
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:58 am

BrentPrice wrote:I'm with ya on the scouters trying to get "spots" before season. That makes sense that I could appear a little suspicious, however that is not my goal. I am from the Dayton area, do most of my deer hunting in the Chilicothe area. I contacted the Ceasar's Creek wildlife officer and he told me I could hunt on the lake in the hunting areas as long as I'm 100 yards away from a blind location. But, I'm not sure I will do that, just not in to "pay-laking" off someone elses blind spot. I'm not expecting people to just throw out spots and say here ya go, go kill 'em. Outside of that, I have contacted Ohio wildlife about legal issues with hunting rivers and stream, looked in parcel county maps for areas that I may ask the land owner for permission, and studied Ohio map for possible rivers that run against public land such as Wayne National. Finding even public areas is a tall order. My dad has a farm pond that I have learned to hut duck and geese from for the past 2 years, but its so shallow it freezes up early, plus there is a river that runs thru an Air Force base right beside our property that they fly into, and that whole part of the river is restricted. Is there local clubs that hunters can join to help build a network of buddies who hunt? Thanks.

We're not a lake/river-rich state that's for sure. Your choices are just limited if you want to hunt from a boat and the river rules/private property thing is very tricky.

Honestly...the best way to find your locations is to hit the areas you feel may be huntable based on the ODNR maps and go motor around, take notes and mark maps - along with public access points.

Or...break out your hunting time with walk-in's and/or field hunting.

It takes a lot of time, gas and miles...before the season. It's a fair investment in time and money to be productive. I guarantee if you spend the time and really look - you can find huntable spots with 60 minutes of your home...you'll add 'em year after year but they'll vary in how you need to hunt 'em.

There are far more factors to waterfowl hunting than deer hunting.

BTW - good call not setting up 100 yards from a guys blind draw. :thumbsup:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:29 am

ohio mike wrote:Sandusky Bay,just stay out of the refuge area.Most guys who layout hunt call the boat blind hunters "rock huggers" because of the riprap.Hunt upstream of the bay bridge.

That sounds ominous. :lol3:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ohio mike » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:55 am

Also check your local reseviors a lot of em allow hunting but guys don't realize it
ohio mike
hunter

Postby BrentPrice » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:51 pm

@ HNTFSH - Yea, I think your right. It's gonna take time and LOTS of homework, which is ok because when I find my honey hole it's gonna be that much sweeter! Also, when you say do "walk-ins", do you mean park and walk to the shoreline of a lake that allows hunting?

@ Ohio Mike - Thanks for the tips, there are quite a few reseviors withinan hours drive from me, I will definitely check them out. I will also remember to stay upstream if I ever visit the Sandusky Bay, may have to wait until I meet some other guys who want to take that trip. It would probaby be a big undertaking for just one guy and a boat?
BrentPrice
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:19 pm

BrentPrice wrote:@ HNTFSH - Yea, I think your right. It's gonna take time and LOTS of homework, which is ok because when I find my honey hole it's gonna be that much sweeter! Also, when you say do "walk-ins", do you mean park and walk to the shoreline of a lake that allows hunting?

Yes - it will be much sweeter. And with any luck - there won't be 14 guys there.

Ducks are gonna be where ducks wanna be. Lake, river, pond, wetland, creek, corn field, the roost, passing through a spot from roost to feed or feed to roost. Your job is to figure out, given weather and/or other factors - which of those places will hold ducks on any given day, and why.

Another factor is local bird versus migrating bird...and where/when/why.

There are a ton of duck hunters out on the opener you will never see in December. Numbers wain with cold. Good for you if you are committed to really hunt.

So walk-in means walking in - to where you feel the ducks and geese might be - and what's the reason for them to be there.

It's WAY more work than deer hunting. And we like it that way...since we won't have the estimated 492,000 folks out on opening day - as it is with deer hunting. :thumbsup:

Fact is - you'll work really hard for terrible duck hunting but most find that deal too irresistible to miss.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ohio mike » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:27 pm

Your only a hour or so from Indian Lake,my personal favorite.Lotsa public area.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby BrentPrice » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:17 pm

Sounds like its time for me to get to work and find some spots. I should be able to nail something down with the tips y'all gave me. Thanks a ton, and good luck this year!
BrentPrice
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting