Mercer Hunt

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Mercer Hunt

Postby KyFowl20 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:45 pm

Me and some buddies got drawn to hunt Mercer on January 24th. Its an evening hunt so I don't know how good its going to be. I hate to make a 6 hour trip for an evening goose hunt that may not be worth the drive. Thanks in advance for any tips you might be able to give me.
-John
TEAM T&A / OUTLAW
2013 / 2014 Season

KY:
Canadas: 121
Snows: 1
Ducks: 102
WI
Geese: 0
Ducks: 5

Haddix Game Calls Prostaff
KyFowl20
hunter

Re: Mercer Hunt

Postby sc83 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:46 pm

That late in the season it could be a bust but you never now. They probably won't fly out of the refuge till dark or just before and skirt the edges of the fields. Never presenting you a shot. It happened to me 2 yrs ago. Just hope for some good weather to get the birds up and moving if not they'll just stay in the refuge. Let me know if you got any other questions.
sc83
hunter

Postby tstroud05 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:27 pm

I got drawn last year on the same exact day. I agree with sc8r, they will spend most of their time across the road in the refuge if the weather isn't right. Get your spread out as soon as you get there, and make sure it is BIG, because you gotta do somethin' to temp those geese over to you instead of the thousands and thousands of geese over at the refuge. They were moving between 12:30-2:00 when I was there. We didn't take, but 2 dozen shells, and only pulled one goose into the spread. Which location did you get???
Hey there 'lil fella', ready to meet your maker?
tstroud05
hunter

Postby sc83 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:23 pm

They're doing the mercer draws like the rest of them. You now show up 2hrs before the hunt and draw for a blind. They're hoping to get more people to use the permits, since a lot of mercers go unused, since they're is now a better chance of getting blind 6 0r 7 at the hatchery.
sc83
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:36 pm

are they all dry field blinds or some water so we will know what to bring.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby sc83 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:02 pm

There are two blinds at the state fish hatchery over ponds. so I'd say bring some floaters and waders and a sledge hammer just in case you pick blimd 6 or 7. They'll probably be froze over by then. My brother is going on Jan 5th so I'll let you know how he does.
sc83
hunter

Postby bigchessie » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:37 pm

sc83 wrote:There are two blinds at the state fish hatchery over ponds. so I'd say bring some floaters and waders and a sledge hammer just in case you pick blimd 6 or 7. They'll probably be froze over by then. My brother is going on Jan 5th so I'll let you know how he does.

I have an evening hunt also on 5JAN10, any suggestions for a first timer? :help:
Yep I am a Vet, A Fireman, a Medic, A Father, a Husband, owned by Chesapeake Bay Retievers. But the toughest of them all is..........being retired and being a house husband.
bigchessie
hunter

Postby sc83 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:19 pm

bigchessie wrote:
sc83 wrote:There are two blinds at the state fish hatchery over ponds. so I'd say bring some floaters and waders and a sledge hammer just in case you pick blimd 6 or 7. They'll probably be froze over by then. My brother is going on Jan 5th so I'll let you know how he does.

I have an evening hunt also on 5JAN10, any suggestions for a first timer? :help:

The two times I have gone I took a dozen full bodys a dozen silos and a half dozen shells. They provide you with a dozen real geese silos. They are in the blind usually. So I had a total of about 3 and a half dozen decoys out. I believe a lot of decoys would be better there cause birds just cruise around all day to and from the refuge. Your gonna want to try and get their attention cause there is always a ton of birds in the rrefuge. Hard to compete against the real thing.
sc83
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting