Anything near Dayton / Springfield?

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, jsa, cartervj, andrew_kirby

Anything near Dayton / Springfield?

Postby mike_b » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:27 pm

I live out of state but my family owns land near Kaiser Lake. We have a small pond with woods around it. I was thinking of turning it into a habitat and building a blind for winter use. I just don't know if there are any birds up there. Growing up I remember ducks and tons of geese out there during the summer / fall, but they were likely resident. I know Kaiser has 10 blind sites, I just wonder if there is any decent hunting there (Geese or ducks)?
mike_b
hunter

Re: Anything near Dayton / Springfield?

Postby Ichabod97 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:18 pm

I grew up in Dayton, learned to duck hunt in Ohio as well. I did all my duck/goose hunting between Caesar Creek, Indian Lake, Lake St. Mary's and private land. Always seemed like ducks were around during the first part of the season, but later in the season all that seemed to be around were geese...

But this is all based off of about 10 years ago.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby jsa » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:05 am

There are usually good numbers taken from Kaiser & Indian Lake. I'm sure others more familiar with those spots will chime in as well. I don't get that far north too often (but maybe I should...).
jsa
State Moderator

Postby mike_b » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:04 am

Thanks for the info. I'll probably run up there and scout this season to see how ducks are currently using the land. I think right now, I plan to plant some plants around the pond this spring to benefit the ducks and build a good habitat. Millet, tall grasses, etc. Should make for an interesting project.
mike_b
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:18 am

Mike - JMO...a small pond might hold some local Woodies and such in the early season but overall - you might get the occasional mallard or two as locals.

Depending what you own (land wise) - a well planted field crop (field hunting) would serve you better through the season. Your pond is likely to freeze up by the 2nd split unless you aerate it or it sits as a warm spring.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ohio mike » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm

Put a couple of goose nesting platforms on the pond.Just like in the movie "If you build it they will come" :thumbsup: Also Indian Lake is a favorite destination for Dayton folks.As far as ducks go HNT/FSH hit it right on the head.The only time you'll see migrants is in the spring heading north.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby BrentPrice » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:55 pm

HNTFSH wrote:Mike - JMO...a small pond might hold some local Woodies and such in the early season but overall - you might get the occasional mallard or two as locals.

Depending what you own (land wise) - a well planted field crop (field hunting) would serve you better through the season. Your pond is likely to freeze up by the 2nd split unless you aerate it or it sits as a warm spring.

I completely agree. I hunt a couple acre farm pond. Do real well in early season for Geese, Teal, and a few woodies. But now (Second split season) the pond is frozen solid and usually is every year by January 1st at the latest. If you could plant some crops on the property and field hunt when the water freezes, you would have a all-season hole to hunt. As for me, now I'm caught with my pants down trying to find a place with water not frozen. :help: Either way, good luck!
BrentPrice
hunter

Postby fgreen04 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:29 am

Let me know if there's anything I can do. I'm always hearing people killing birds up that way throughout the seasons. But in the later seasons it would be smart to have a food source near by when the water does freeze. Or keeping some of the water open
MUD RIVER DOG PRODUCTS PRO TEAM
DRAHTHAAR ADDICTION PRO TEAM
TEAM REFUGE RAT
fgreen04
hunter

Postby mike_b » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:13 pm

Thanks for the info. The immediate area around the pond is more lawn grass, but the majority of the land and the property around us is corn / beans. I have a few fields I could hunt in on the property.

Also, I do have electrical immediately available at the pond and could run an ice eater or something during the times I want to hunt.
mike_b
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:30 am

As all have found this year in particular - open water near a food source is about the best combo you could have. :thumbsup:
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting