Ohio DNR rule clarification

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Ohio DNR rule clarification

Postby richarj2 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:20 am

I am not sure if I am clear on the bag limits vs the Possession after the first day limit as its written up in the Ohio DNR rules and regulations.

can anyone explain to me what the POSSESSION LIMIT AFTER FIRST DAY is. its double the daily bag limit but I am not clear on what it means exactly
richarj2
hunter

Re: Ohio DNR rule clarification

Postby AAA-O » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:39 pm

Possession limit is what you're allowed to have in your possession. If you have 13 birds in your freezer at home, technically, your wrong and can be fined. That regulation was put in place for "bad guys" who have 200 birds in their freezer. Mostly up north on Lake Erie. I wouldnt worry too much about it if you have over 12.
J├Ąger von Enten
AAA-O
Newb

Postby alanwebfoot » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:50 pm

its easy just EAT em' up YUM YUM!!! make some jerkey whatever!
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby richarj2 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:24 pm

Thanks guys that's what I thought it ment but i wasnt sure - it just didnt make much sense to me, but I got ya

Thanks again
richarj2
hunter

Postby duckman77 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:04 pm

You are allowed twice daliy bag limit in your freezer is the rule but if u hunt every day and kill a limit your going to have to eat alot of meat not sure why its like that i mean your allowed what 5 deer and can be eaten all yr. i think waterfowl should be more so u can eat yr round. but i am against people shooting over a limit in a day be legal. our goal every time we go out is to shoot no hens, every hen u shoot that is 5-7 ducks wont be around next yr. i think we all should follow that. Nash
duckman77
hunter

Postby diverdestroyer » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:15 am

The rule is very stupid....probably created and voted on by a bunch of people who dont even own waders or a shotgun. Lets say we get into snow geese heavy come march and kill a couple hundred since there is no daily bag limit during the conservation season well come novemeber you are a criminal because now theres a daily bag limit of 25; which means you can only have double your daily limit in possesion? i agree with the last comment just follow your daily limits and everything would/should be fine.
diverdestroyer
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:20 pm

We have a Snow Goose season?
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:04 pm

HNTFSH wrote:We have a Snow Goose season?

Don't tell me you've been missing out on the world class snow goose hunting that Ohio has to offer?!?
A year from now, you'll wish you had started today.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby ohio mike » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:57 pm

This is a holdover from market hunting days and applys to all small game not just waterfowl in the state of Ohio.Don't know if it applys to fish but I believe so.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:27 pm

ohio mike wrote:This is a holdover from market hunting days and applys to all small game not just waterfowl in the state of Ohio.Don't know if it applys to fish but I believe so.

Makes sense Mike. I thought it was an additional buffer to individual limits also. Back when I bunny hunted I would run across groups of 2-3 retired guys running beagles nearly every day. While I couldn't begrudge 'em their agenda - sure noticed how quick some areas got rabbit-less. Possession does put a little governor on it.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ohio mike » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:43 pm

When properly tagged wild game can be gifted to another person.When's the last time you gave a family member a gift? Also the law is used almost exclusively in conjunction with a suspected poaching violation. We've got a member of a couple of our clubs that throws a meeting night squirrel supper for each club once a year.Jerry raises Mountian Feists and kills way over 100 squirrels a year.The only position limits the wardens worry about are how much they can get on their plates. What I'm trying to say is if you aren't a outlaw I wouldn't worry about how many of any one species you have in the freezer.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Redq23 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:39 pm

The possession limit was put in place so the weekend hunter could hunt two days and not be in violation on his way home. Most states wount consider 13 or 30 ducks in the freezer a possession limit, but the Feds will. So if your huntin an area more than two days becareful not to put your foot in your mouth when talkin to the Feds. :beer:
Redq23
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting