Ready or not, here I come!

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, cartervj, jsa

Ready or not, here I come!

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:35 pm

Back in Ohio for the holidays, will be here till the 2nd of the year with nothing to do but hunt :hi:
This is the Internet. This is serious.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Re: Ready or not, here I come!

Postby ohio mike » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:38 am

I hope it isn't for waterfowl. This has been the worst year I've had.since 1963.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby alanwebfoot » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:01 am

Mike I'm new [3 years] to this BUT ,yesterday I sat in what was a great secluded liitle hole along the river far away from crowds ,,pushed some ice away and put in a mixture of mallards ,gads, widgeons, and shovelers ,saw plenty of birds ,hundreds in fact ,,uhh er mm can you eat crows?? cause thats ALL I saw in 2 1/2 hours not one duck,but a friend said [had to do some bussiness in Col. ]that every pond lake and pothole of water from Circleville north is piled full!!
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:13 pm

Thanks for the warning Botits! :yes:

Some geese around if you can get a field. Ducks hanging hard to water hey can find. Darned frozen down here. 8-10am is the goose sweet spot at the moment.

Mike's right - hot dry 1st and non-sop freeze 2nd. I didn't even kill a North Zone bird this year.

We should have a DHC get-together this spring/summer.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Botiz630 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:15 pm

found one lonely mallard drake this morning, he decided to come home with us. It was a pretty slow morning. Oh well, better than working :beer:
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Botiz630 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:17 pm

HNTFSH wrote:We should have a DHC get-together this spring/summer.

That would be fun, it we could make it happen. Maybe Waterfowl Bootcamp next summer? It's in Columbus right? I was planning on coming down for that anyway, I know a lot of guys from here were there this past summer.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:16 am

Botiz630 wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:We should have a DHC get-together this spring/summer.

That would be fun, it we could make it happen. Maybe Waterfowl Bootcamp next summer? It's in Columbus right? I was planning on coming down for that anyway, I know a lot of guys from here were there this past summer.

Good work on the lone Drake...some folks can't appreciate how exciting a lone Drake can be. :lol3:

The Bootcamp might work...I was there with another DHC'er and know we probably walked past some others unknowingly.

Also like to do a dog training day for those interested even if they don't currently have a dog.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ohio mike » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:09 am

Had to go up to Toledo,went past one of my spots that was devoid of ducks a few weeks back.Guess what close to 1000 maybe more birds jammed in there.They looked like a tornado coming down.Really quite a sight but it still pissed me off. Bright side lots of geese too,gonna do some checking.Its got to be water field permission in that area is impossible.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:26 am

Spent the majority of this morning trying to get a silverado unstuck from a field :oops: It was a rough morning, especially when you receive a phone call saying "dont try to drive into the field, you will get stuck"

Oh well, sometimes you have learn for yourself!
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:06 pm

Botiz630 wrote:Spent the majority of this morning trying to get a silverado unstuck from a field :oops: It was a rough morning, especially when you receive a phone call saying "dont try to drive into the field, you will get stuck"

Oh well, sometimes you have learn for yourself!

lol...glad you made it out?

Am hitting a private spot Sunday where my buddy was told...watch this and watch that. This rut will get you stuck and that rut will take your bumper off. :lol3:

Can't wait.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Botiz630 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:36 pm

Good luck in the morning HNTFSH,

I took this morning off, spent the morning with my family instead.

So far me and bro have taken two ducks in two hunts, so we're off to a slow start. Hopefully tomorrow morning will bring us more fortune.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:43 pm

I'm with ya...about to fire up the Scrabble board here and wipe out the females.

Good luck in the am as well. :thumbsup:

We'll be hunting a corn field beside a small unfrozen river. Taken years to get a permission to hunt it so helpfully we'll be picture worthy by tomorrow night!
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Botiz630 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:52 pm

HNTFSH wrote:I'm with ya...about to fire up the Scrabble board here and wipe out the females.

Good luck in the am as well. :thumbsup:

We'll be hunting a corn field beside a small unfrozen river. Taken years to get a permission to hunt it so helpfully we'll be picture worthy by tomorrow night!

I look forward to seeing pics, if our field produces in the morning like it has in the past I will have some to show as well. keeping my fingers crossed, you never know what the geese will do sometimes :fingerhead:
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Botiz630 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:53 pm

HNTFSH wrote:I'm with ya...about to fire up the Scrabble board here and wipe out the females.

Sounds better than arguing with PC about group limits, I have been following that thread with a bowl full of popcorn :lol3:
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:11 pm

Botiz630 wrote:

Sounds better than arguing with PC about group limits, I have been following that thread with a bowl full of popcorn :lol3:

I did my DARNDEST to spell POACHER on the scrabble board tonight. :lol3: Closest I got was LOSER. :yes:

Amazing to me how folks will twist and turn everything they can to defend something they know is wrong. "I wanna poach but I don't wanna be called a Poacher". :fingerhead:

All right man - check in tomorrow night - bring the camera! Whack 'em!
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ohio mike » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:10 pm

Went to Indian Lake 12/25/10 very few ducks or geese on or around the lake.The ducks I did see were on open water where they were being fed.(dock ducks) Was looking to set up a "plond" hunt but there was open water around with NO birds on it so I scrapped the Idea.There were some guys set up on the ice but didn't have any birds I could see thru glass's.Saw a few geese flying at dark but not many. This sucks,guess I'll take the dog for a run and see if I can kill a bunny or two. I've had every freaking cold,broncidious (good thing I'm not playing scrabble) ETC thats going around this year,I refuse to get cabin fever too.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:10 pm

ohio mike wrote:Went to Indian Lake 12/25/10 very few ducks or geese on or around the lake.The ducks I did see were on open water where they were being fed.(dock ducks) Was looking to set up a "plond" hunt but there was open water around with NO birds on it so I scrapped the Idea.There were some guys set up on the ice but didn't have any birds I could see thru glass's.Saw a few geese flying at dark but not many. This sucks,guess I'll take the dog for a run and see if I can kill a bunny or two. I've had every freaking cold,broncidious (good thing I'm not playing scrabble) ETC thats going around this year,I refuse to get cabin fever too.

Keep up the spirit mike :thumbsup:

My morning was a giant flop. The roost pond which our geese come from, which has been holding a couple hundred geese, was devoid of life this morning. We had one flock fly through the area, and than nothing. We got suspicious as to what was up, so my bro jumped in the truck and drove down the road a bit to check it out....empty. Could not believe it, they have been there every day for a week, and now they are gone.

You're our only hope now, HNTFSH, let us know how your morning went.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:43 pm

HNTFSH wrote:Thanks for the warning Botits! :yes:

Some geese around if you can get a field. Ducks hanging hard to water hey can find. Darned frozen down here. 8-10am is the goose sweet spot at the moment.

Mike's right - hot dry 1st and non-sop freeze 2nd. I didn't even kill a North Zone bird this year.

We should have a DHC get-together this spring/summer.

You guys should have an annual guided trip to hunt in Louisiana every year instead... :hi: :umm:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:19 pm

Misery loves company boys. Botits/Mike...sorry about your day. I think we all got clobbered by the non-stop 25 MPH North wind all day. Didn't check but felt like a windchill of about 15 all day.

We hunted a cornfield on the Mad River and the Mad itself from shooting light to shooting light.

Our quarry still held a few hundred geese but they all patterned an 1/8 mile east from us - not where they had been flying on Thursday. We had two drop out of a very small group and decoy into our set-up but they flared at the last minute and we both missed from the lay-outs.

Saw 10 ducks in one group but I was sitting up in the blind and they busted me.

So 2 shots fired for me and no birds. I do think most of the ducks have moved on. Geese are hanging on.

I've come to fully appreciate insulated facemasks. :yes:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:21 pm

Indaswamp wrote:You guys should have an annual guided trip to hunt in Louisiana every year instead... :hi: :umm:

As long as we don't have to eat bait. :thumbsup:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:18 pm

Too bad, HNTFSH. Rough day all around it sounds like. We are gonna try another location in the morning...Im a glutton for punishment. :biggrin:
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:21 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:You guys should have an annual guided trip to hunt in Louisiana every year instead... :hi: :umm:

define "Bait"... :biggrin:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:27 pm

Botiz630 wrote:Too bad, HNTFSH. Rough day all around it sounds like. We are gonna try another location in the morning...Im a glutton for punishment. :biggrin:

That you are!! :yes: Good luck - make us proud. Get a bird...lol
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:27 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:

Most everything ya'll put in 'gumbo'. :lol3:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:38 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:

HNTFSH wrote:Most everything ya'll put in 'gumbo'. :lol3:

so you are not big on crawfish, shrimp, oysters, redfish, crabs, ducks, geese, chicken, etc...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting