Ready or not, here I come!

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, jsa, cartervj, andrew_kirby

Re: Ready or not, here I come!

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:54 pm

Indaswamp wrote: so you are not big on crawfish, shrimp, oysters, redfish, crabs, ducks, geese, chicken, etc...



Crawfish is small mouth bait. The other stuff would be great but that's not normally what I hear mentioned.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
User avatar
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond
 
Posts: 19827
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 5:33 pm
Location: Ohio


Re: Ready or not, here I come!

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:02 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
Indaswamp wrote: so you are not big on crawfish, shrimp, oysters, redfish, crabs, ducks, geese, chicken, etc...



Crawfish is small mouth bait. The other stuff would be great but that's not normally what I hear mentioned.

have you ever tried crawfish? think of 'em as small freshwater lobsters... :thumbsup: they get pretty big down here. :beer:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58806
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Ready or not, here I come!

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:41 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:
Indaswamp wrote: so you are not big on crawfish, shrimp, oysters, redfish, crabs, ducks, geese, chicken, etc...



Crawfish is small mouth bait. The other stuff would be great but that's not normally what I hear mentioned.

have you ever tried crawfish? think of 'em as small freshwater lobsters... :thumbsup: they get pretty big down here. :beer:


I had a buddy from up here who went to Louisiana for college. He came back and showed me how tasty boiled crawfish can be.
It's all true, as far as I know.
User avatar
Botiz630
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 17078
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:24 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Ready or not, here I come!

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:41 pm

HNTFSH wrote:Good luck - make us proud. Get a bird...lol


I can only hope :lol3:
It's all true, as far as I know.
User avatar
Botiz630
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 17078
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:24 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Ready or not, here I come!

Postby ohio mike » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:23 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:Thanks for the warning Botits! :yes:

Some geese around if you can get a field. Ducks hanging hard to water hey can find. Darned frozen down here. 8-10am is the goose sweet spot at the moment.

Mike's right - hot dry 1st and non-sop freeze 2nd. I didn't even kill a North Zone bird this year.

We should have a DHC get-together this spring/summer.


You guys should have an annual guided trip to hunt in Louisiana every year instead... :hi: :umm:


Inda,can't do it this year but some names and prices for next would be helpful. I've hunted Arkansas a bit farther south would be interesting.(Is this internet scouting?)
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter
 
Posts: 2258
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:08 pm
Location: Northwest Ohio

Re: Ready or not, here I come!

Postby ohio mike » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:25 pm

HNTFSH wrote:Thanks for the warning Botits! :yes:

Some geese around if you can get a field. Ducks hanging hard to water hey can find. Darned frozen down here. 8-10am is the goose sweet spot at the moment.

Mike's right - hot dry 1st and non-sop freeze 2nd. I didn't even kill a North Zone bird this year.

We should have a DHC get-together this spring/summer.


How about at the spring test?
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter
 
Posts: 2258
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:08 pm
Location: Northwest Ohio

Re: Ready or not, here I come!

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:40 pm

ohio mike wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:Thanks for the warning Botits! :yes:

Some geese around if you can get a field. Ducks hanging hard to water hey can find. Darned frozen down here. 8-10am is the goose sweet spot at the moment.

Mike's right - hot dry 1st and non-sop freeze 2nd. I didn't even kill a North Zone bird this year.

We should have a DHC get-together this spring/summer.


You guys should have an annual guided trip to hunt in Louisiana every year instead... :hi: :umm:


Inda,can't do it this year but some names and prices for next would be helpful. I've hunted Arkansas a bit farther south would be interesting.(Is this internet scouting?)

no problem there mike... :thumbsup: and it's not internet scouting when you are asking for a paid guided to hunt private land... :thumbsup: I've got a few I'd recommend. rice field, marsh, swamp, or river delta?? take yo pick!
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58806
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Ready or not, here I come!

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:46 pm

and you might find this an interesting read Mike (HNTFSH, Botits as well...)
Louisiana duck survey numbers dec. 2010, right before the ice storm middle of the month. notice what it says about the river deltas... :yes: :thumbsup: Trust me when I say that there are more birds than the survey indicates. the ice storm brought a major push of birds.
http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/waterfowl_survey/33454-December%202010%20Survey/waterdecember2010.pdf
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58806
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Ready or not, here I come!

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:50 am

ohio mike wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:Thanks for the warning Botits! :yes:

Some geese around if you can get a field. Ducks hanging hard to water hey can find. Darned frozen down here. 8-10am is the goose sweet spot at the moment.

Mike's right - hot dry 1st and non-sop freeze 2nd. I didn't even kill a North Zone bird this year.

We should have a DHC get-together this spring/summer.


How about at the spring test?


Good thought but I'll be running around the grounds the whole time as event co-chair and might need you throwing birds or shooting flyers. :yes:
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
User avatar
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond
 
Posts: 19827
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 5:33 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Ready or not, here I come!

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:05 am

Inda - thanks for hosting the Ohio Forum to your spots with food and lodging for an LA hunt...we appreciate it! :yes:

Something like right ahead of that storm would be ideal! :yes:

I'd eat large boiled crawfish BTW...just have some good dippin' sauce around. :beer:
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
User avatar
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond
 
Posts: 19827
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 5:33 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Ready or not, here I come!

Postby jsa » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:30 am

Somehow this thread got out of control. :help:

When are we going to LA? I've got the rest of the week off and a full tank of gas in the Tahoe :grooving:
User avatar
jsa
State Moderator
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:11 pm
Location: miami valley ohio

Re: Ready or not, here I come!

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:04 am

jsa wrote:Somehow this thread got out of control. :help:

When are we going to LA? I've got the rest of the week off and a full tank of gas in the Tahoe :grooving:


Sweet!!! SHOTGUN!!!! :lol3:

First 2-page post I have ever seen on the Ohio Forum. :yes:
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
User avatar
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond
 
Posts: 19827
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 5:33 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Ready or not, here I come!

Postby jsa » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:10 am

HNTFSH wrote:Sweet!!! SHOTGUN!!!! :lol3:

First 2-page post I have ever seen on the Ohio Forum. :yes:


That was my first thought, then I saw the invite to somewhere that just might have some birds... :bow:
User avatar
jsa
State Moderator
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:11 pm
Location: miami valley ohio

Re: Ready or not, here I come!

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:29 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
jsa wrote:Somehow this thread got out of control. :help:

When are we going to LA? I've got the rest of the week off and a full tank of gas in the Tahoe :grooving:


Sweet!!! SHOTGUN!!!! :lol3:

First 2-page post I have ever seen on the Ohio Forum. :yes:


Im free till the end of the weekend, if we leave right now we might make it!
It's all true, as far as I know.
User avatar
Botiz630
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 17078
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:24 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Ready or not, here I come!

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:34 pm

just let me know what type of terrain you guys want to hunt in...marsh, rice field, swamp, or river delta-and I'll find a guide to accommodate you guys (it would be apaid hunt though); unless of course HNTFSH wants to run his dog in the floatant marsh... :yes: :hammer: :hi:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58806
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Ready or not, here I come!

Postby ohio mike » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:44 pm

Indaswamp wrote:just let me know what type of terrain you guys want to hunt in...marsh, rice field, swamp, or river delta-and I'll find a guide to accommodate you guys (it would be apaid hunt though); unless of course HNTFSH wants to run his dog in the floatant marsh... :yes: :hammer: :hi:


Rice field is first choice,followed by anything else. By the way my daughter and hubby to be just got back from 4 days in New Orleans.Went on a guided tour of Lake Poncetrain (forgive the spelling) and adjacent marsh. They only saw 2 ducks,what the heck is up with that? Also saw a pair of little bitty racoons.When she commented on the size the guide said that was average for La.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter
 
Posts: 2258
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:08 pm
Location: Northwest Ohio

Re: Ready or not, here I come!

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:48 pm

ohio mike wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:just let me know what type of terrain you guys want to hunt in...marsh, rice field, swamp, or river delta-and I'll find a guide to accommodate you guys (it would be apaid hunt though); unless of course HNTFSH wants to run his dog in the floatant marsh... :yes: :hammer: :hi:


Rice field is first choice,followed by anything else. By the way my daughter and hubby to be just got back from 4 days in New Orleans.Went on a guided tour of Lake Poncetrain (forgive the spelling) and adjacent marsh. They only saw 2 ducks,what the heck is up with that? Also saw a pair of little bitty racoons.When she commented on the size the guide said that was average for La.

no ducks in that marsh...haven't been in many many years...
I'll check my contacts for rice fields.... :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58806
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Ready or not, here I come!

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:49 pm

jsa wrote:Somehow this thread got out of control. :help:

When are we going to LA? I've got the rest of the week off and a full tank of gas in the Tahoe :grooving:

see what happens when a coona$$ comes to Ohio!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :clapping: :yes:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58806
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Ready or not, here I come!

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:30 am

Indaswamp wrote:
jsa wrote:Somehow this thread got out of control. :help:

When are we going to LA? I've got the rest of the week off and a full tank of gas in the Tahoe :grooving:

see what happens when a coona$$ comes to Ohio!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :clapping: :yes:


:lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

You might be disappointed - most bait stores here close in the winter. :lol3: :beer:
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
User avatar
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond
 
Posts: 19827
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 5:33 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Ready or not, here I come!

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:40 pm

Well...Team Ohio. tried to outsmart it and hunt pheasant today to put us on the board. Flushed 6 hens. :yes: :rolleyes:
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
User avatar
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond
 
Posts: 19827
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 5:33 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Ready or not, here I come!

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:46 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
jsa wrote:Somehow this thread got out of control. :help:

When are we going to LA? I've got the rest of the week off and a full tank of gas in the Tahoe :grooving:

see what happens when a coona$$ comes to Ohio!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :clapping: :yes:


:lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

You might be disappointed - most bait stores here close in the winter. :lol3: :beer:

LOL! :lol3: I don't eat leeches! :hammer: :hammer:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58806
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Previous

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests