Zone Survey

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Zone Survey

Postby ohio mike » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:44 pm

Google ohiowaterfowlzonesurvey once every 5 years they reset the zones in Ohio.When you take the survey your input actually counts on where and when you can hunt.I personally want the north south zone boundry moved back to I-70. There is also the possibilty of 3 zones that should be of interest to those who hunt Lake Erie and southeast Ohio. You only have until the end of March so get on it.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Re: Zone Survey

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:08 pm

Mike - I did this a week or so ago and canceled your vote. :yes: Last few seasons have sucked in NZ with weather patterns and ends too early. Bringing that further south knocks out decent later season SZ areas. I'm afraid a 70 split will put too much pressure on fewer areas south of 70 unless you're willing to drive to the Ohio River.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ohio mike » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:37 pm

Oh no! I've been froze out the last three years at Indian Lake. I-70 used to be the split.Remember? I'd settle for a line south of the lake and north of delaware.For now we can agree to disagree. :no:
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:17 am

ohio mike wrote:Oh no! I've been froze out the last three years at Indian Lake. I-70 used to be the split.Remember? I'd settle for a line south of the lake and north of delaware.For now we can agree to disagree. :no:

I would also agree to that. An arbitrary line that's convenient for the state leaves a lot out of consideration. Selfishly, it pushes Capital City hunter traffic all one way or the other unless driving much further. And in Ohio - not much is worth a two hour drive each way. :yes:

I have no idea how it works other than 60 days a year. Might be better to go statewide Nov 15 - Jan 15 or Nov 1 - Jan 3 and have a Lake Erie zone. Include some dispensation for geese.

We didn't get a push of birds until much later in the season so I'm not sure how a NZ would have helped you last year except we all had ice.

Trust me...I AM looking for the benefits of a 70 split line...just haven't thought of one yet. Why do other states get more days? More ducks?
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby R. Toker » Thu May 12, 2011 7:32 pm

I live and hunt in the current south zone. I'm in Harrison County and in our area US30 is the cut off line for the zone. Last season it worked out pretty well for us in the south zone. We hunted in some cut corn fields near a local lake , which has a large hole that stays open for the birds to roost, and we absolutely wore the ducks out. These were not flooded fields, just cut, dry corn fields. We killed Mallards, black ducks, pintails and canadas. We literally had hundreds of ducks in the air above us.
Lynch Mob Calls
Gander Valley Custom Calls
Beretta AL 391 Urika2 28"
Carlson's LM Choke
Kent Fasteel
Beretta SV10 Prevail III 32"
WATERFOWL AND SPORTING CLAYS!!!
R. Toker
hunter

Postby jsa » Thu May 12, 2011 8:15 pm

This will need to be confirmed by others, GPS coordinates please :yes:
jsa
State Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Fri May 13, 2011 7:33 am

Open water in the south zone was key! :thumbsup: Just not enough of it around...lol.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby R. Toker » Fri May 13, 2011 3:13 pm

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!!! NICE TRY GUYS!!! We actually just stumbled upon this area by accident, called the owner and he was like "You want to hunt what?? Ducks and Geese? Have at it!!!". Most of the folks down here are after deer/turkey permission. We have a plan for this season to get exclusive access............I've already said too much........... :yes:
Lynch Mob Calls
Gander Valley Custom Calls
Beretta AL 391 Urika2 28"
Carlson's LM Choke
Kent Fasteel
Beretta SV10 Prevail III 32"
WATERFOWL AND SPORTING CLAYS!!!
R. Toker
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting