soy bean

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

soy bean

Postby amsrc11 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:47 am

My go to field for geese is planted in beans this year. I have heard that geese will not use a bean field. The past few years the geese have been using the field like crazy! I was just wondering if any of u guys had any info regarding geese and soybeans!
amsrc11
hunter

Re: soy bean

Postby alanwebfoot » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:20 pm

big change around here too ,,more like unplanted fields left to grow 5 foot weeds ,must say I've never cleaned a goose that had soybeans in the crop,but if they get hungry enough and there's no corn ,who's to say!!
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:58 pm

Ducks and geese use bean fields. Beans rot faster than corn though. You guys have never seen geese using a bean field? This one is even tilled!

No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby tstroud05 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:20 am

You right beside a lake or somethin' Hntfsh? My parent's place has about 20 acres and only about a mile from Caesar Creek, and the geese pile in there when corn has been planted, but not a soul when the beans are out... Of course, beans are planted this year... But I may not even hunt waterfowl this year... Gonna focus more on Grouse and Woodcock...
Hey there 'lil fella', ready to meet your maker?
tstroud05
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:53 pm

tstroud05 wrote:You right beside a lake or somethin' Hntfsh? My parent's place has about 20 acres and only about a mile from Caesar Creek, and the geese pile in there when corn has been planted, but not a soul when the beans are out... Of course, beans are planted this year... But I may not even hunt waterfowl this year... Gonna focus more on Grouse and Woodcock...

Nope. no lake. An ag field with field decoys will draw geese if you're catching them on the way to feed. Ya'll see 'em eating in grass and wheat fields right now?

I'm surprised you guys don't see geese in bean fields. I see it all the time.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby vtcupped'n'locked » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:15 am

Most of the time i see them using bean fields, its either ground that has been worked or had manure spread on it. Just my .02. Everyone whos headed out tomorrow be safe.
vtcupped'n'locked
hunter

Postby CAMO Motors » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:19 pm

We have killed geese out of a hay field many of times. As long as they are flying over and see your decoys, with good calling they will come close enough to bust a few.
CAMO Motors
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting