anybody else sweat out the first day??

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

anybody else sweat out the first day??

Postby alanwebfoot » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:02 am

They were on public hunting area,,and we were the only 2 there ,we got 2 and were back cleaning them by 8 a.m..the best part my second year lab got to retrieve her first 2 geese ,,one was a cripple ..YAHOO!!!!! not that I want to see a cripple but to watch her unhesitatingly grab it ,,,where as last year she dropped a still kicking duck.WE both are still learning.
alanwebfoot
hunter

Re: anybody else sweat out the first day??

Postby CAMO Motors » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:28 pm

Sounds fun, can't wait to get time to get out. How old is your lab? Ours is going on 2 but still acts like she's 6 months and won't sit still long enough to think about taking her out.
CAMO Motors
hunter

Postby alanwebfoot » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:12 pm

Tanner is 2 1/2 and this is her second season I waited because I didn't think she was mature enough 3 seasons ago,,glad I did the only real trouble I have with her is she's SOOO wound up ,to go she whines while I'm getting ready ,but today to her credit didn't bark when she first spotted the geese,man was it hot though!!!.Felt like jumping in myself!
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby CAMO Motors » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:30 am

Yea Avery is super wound up as soon as she gets outside. She does seam to listen better when I get her away from the house and back to the pond. I might take her out in a few weeks, but I'm not jumping in freezing cold water in January to get her if she doent listen and gets in trouble out in the water.
CAMO Motors
hunter

Postby alanwebfoot » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:15 pm

I was worried about her because she's also a pet inside so not a thick tough coat but ,she's been out all day in 20 degrees and swam in 11 degrees no problem
alanwebfoot
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting