Duck Hunting Forum banner

Dove Season Reports?

2K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  jsa 
#1 ·
Wondered if ya'll saw normal numbers this year on the opener?

Mine was WAY down - like 20% of the birds as previous couple years. Trying to figure it out - the sunflower crop was just as good, if not better.

#2 ·
Hunted fallsville yesterday, i left early (4:30) with 8, rest of my party limited by 6. Birds were just getting active when I took off. Oh the perils of fatherhood... Had a soccer game to catch.

Numbers seemed just as good as ever down there.

#5 ·
vtcupped'n'locked said:
Numbers are down in central ohio. I think that cool weather that we had moved a lot of birds south. Not liking the weather report for Monday Tuesday, dove season may be rough if it gets that chilly...
Might be. Just didn't seem like we have had any 'colder' weather than the typical short spell we've gotten in years past. Didn't seem that cold...at least certainly not enough to move that many birds. Not to mention the birds north of us should be here then.

#6 ·
My field won't be ready until tues or Wed.They took they hay off one side and are combining clover on the other right now. They ajoin at the corner of a woods. Should be good. On the other hand I've been patterning geese for two weeks. The s.o.b's changed everything on opening day. Instead of coming in at daylight they're leaving the ponds.The other flock quit using the stubble they've been in. :huh:

#7 ·
I hear ya Mike. :fingerhead:

Was on a goose traffic pattern for a week in the evening - they'd pass through about 10 minutes before shooting light ends. Now...it's 10 minutes after. :lol3:

#9 ·
ohio mike said:
Dove hunting sucks as bad as the goose hunting,I'm gonna try teal Wed. Birds moved in today. If something doesn't break soon theres gonna be a bunch of squirrels in deep $hit. Its Sept. and I gotta kill something. :mad:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwww hell Mike...you got me all woodied up over seeing some Teal that I hit the farm last night (since there's some water in the wetland) and didn't see shiz other than the 2 doves 50 yards out of range. :lol3: And a few flights of geese 1/4 mile out of range. Geese were moving earlier than in previous days though.

Good luck!

#15 ·
Uncles name is on he blind, last I heard he knew what he wanted to set up. Haven't heard from in a week or so. Wasn't done then and I've been busy with work and the kids soccer schedules.

I did ride out there on the 4th and checked out the point again; the marker is on a long stretch of broken concrete slabs. Kind of an odd spot.
Online satellite images aren't current

#16 ·
He is aware that it has to be started by a certain date or he forfeits. This keeps antis from tying up blind sites. Finished mine today. Saw lots of ducks,Woodies,Mallards,and a few Teal and Geese. This is beginning to look like it may be a good first half.

#17 ·
ohio mike said:
He is aware that it has to be started by a certain date or he forfeits. This keeps antis from tying up blind sites. Finished mine today. Saw lots of ducks,Woodies,Mallards,and a few Teal and Geese. This is beginning to look like it may be a good first half.
Talked yesterday, sounds like it'll be done by the weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.