How to not screw up your hunt?

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, jsa, cartervj, andrew_kirby

Postby Top of the Food Chain » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:13 pm

Semi-skilled hunter trying duck hunting for the first time. Taking a couple of rookie, quick trigger hunters with me to try and get them interested in hunting. I will be on a state lake with boat. Calling (duck) for first time. Decoys.

When I deer, rabbit or turkey hunt I am on private family property. No worries. Other than general common sense, any tips you could throw so as to not screw up your hunt?
Top of the Food Chain
Newb

Re: How to not screw up your hunt?

Postby Botiz630 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:33 pm

1)If you've never called before, you might want to consider not calling at all. If you don't know what you're doing you will do more harm than good and lose the respect of anyone within earshot. You don't have long to practice before season comes in but get after it.

2) Maintain a respectable distance from other hunters, and expect them to do the same. A few hundred yards at least if you can. That may not be feasible depending on what lake you're hunting but I personally don't like to be able to see the other guy.

3) Don't skybust. Shots taken at more than 35-40 yards have a low probability for success unless you are an expert **** ****, will tend to wound, and will earn the angst of anyone else on the lake.

Those are the big three in regard to "screwing up someone else's hunt." How much duck hunting experience do you have? You said this is your first time out?
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Botiz630 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:40 pm

Also, I have no idea why it censored **** ****.

W-I-N-G S-H-O-O-T-E-R is what I spelled, and it automatically censored it with asterisks. What gives?

Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Top of the Food Chain » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:59 am

Duck hunting experience = 0. I have been doing a good bit of reading and youtube. I read about skybusting...going to set a decoy a 30 yds to provide a sight for range (as I said, I have some quick trigger friends :biggrin: )

I was trying to limit my calling to a greeting / simple quack. I found with Turkey that mastering a few simple calls seems to work better than being terrible at many.

I like the idea about being a couple hundred yds from folks. I guess I don't really now what to anticipate on the lake, but it makes sense from an etiquette perspective. Appreciate the feedback.

Has anyone had success without calling?
Top of the Food Chain
Newb

Postby Botiz630 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:25 am

Top of the Food Chain wrote:Has anyone had success without calling?

Absolutely
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:39 pm

If you are hunting a weekend - be prepared to launch your boat early and get out of the way very quickly.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby aunt betty » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:49 pm

The hunt you are describing doesn't sound two promising.
I don't think I'd take my rookie friends on my first duck hunt.

I'd try and find someone who knows what they are doing, who is successful in your area to show you the ropes. Then after you have a handle on things try to get your friends interested. Your lack of experience is what your friends don't need. They'll surely ask "why are we here?" if things don't go awesome like in the videos on you tube.

I'm sorry but being very realistic about your question. The chances of "getting lucky" and having a great hunt are not good.

The chances of doing some little mistake and it turning into a big deal are very high. Identifying ducks is hard for a beginner and you will be responsible for that.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby alanwebfoot » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:14 pm

yes you can have success without calling,, we probably call too much anyway!!let your position and good spread do the work ,a single quack now and then won't hurt ,let the ducks teach you .Listen to them ,,Like turkey hunting some mornings birds are really cranked up and make more noise,,other days hundreds won't let you know they're there.
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby Top of the Food Chain » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:15 pm

Appreciate all the feedback. I don't plan on much success as I have not put in the necessary scouting / understanding migration patterns, etc...hence the title of my original post. But I appreciate the feedback...and they say you duck folk are a handshake bunch!

Success for me is getting out on the lake, setting decoys in place and seeing how things work (ie. boater traffic, waterfowl population, etc). I guess I would call this a recon mission with the hope of a stray duck or two :wink:

By the way, I am equal opportunity breed. When duck hunting (decoys out) has anyone had geese come in as well (no goose decoy) or or is this a pig/wolf scenario?
Top of the Food Chain
Newb

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:04 pm

Check your PM's Top
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Re: How to not screw up your hunt? = Results

Postby Top of the Food Chain » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:59 pm

So I took some off your advice and my brother and I went out on Sunday the 16th with some mixed results.

I was able to get out and test things with my brother overall results are mixed. We saw four different packs of birds (anywhere from +6 to +20 birds). Was able to get two packs to respond to calling...turned, looked but did not land. A couple of singles flew in for a closer look. 2 shots, 2 misses (one was certainly outside "the zone" but we needed a wake up). Of course our best opportunity came within 20 yds just as a boat decided to cross our face.

The good news is that one boat got with 75 yds before making an abrupt change in course (which tells me our blind / set-up was working). Had a good learn on setting the decoy weights a little deeper as they started to "drift" when first set. And for only getting two shots off we both had a smile on our face. Really enjoyed it.

Learned a good bit about where the birds are at and where they want to be. I'm sure than changes by the hour... Looks like we will be getting back out on the 28th.
Top of the Food Chain
Newb

Postby jsa » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:25 am

And so it begins....

Careful, you'll be hooked in no time!
jsa
State Moderator

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting