Duck Hunting Forum banner

Opening Day

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  R. Toker 
#1 ·
Good luck to everybody thats hunting tomorrow.Post some results. :thumbsup:

#4 ·
We got a bunch of rain this week here in east central ohio. One of the properties we hunt has flooded field/standing corn. This evening there were over 100 geese and a few dozen mallards and woodies in there. Hopefully the water stays around. We are gonna hit 'em hard in the morning!! Got the timer on the coffee pot set

#8 ·
Not good not bad,I killed 2 drake Woodies pardner 1 hen. His Browning took a$hit first thing and he had to use my backup 870. First time with a pump short stroked it and jammed it too. Hunted till 11:00. Missed a few Woodies,as always the skybusters kept the mallards on our side of the lake high.I seem to draw em like a magnet (busters not mallards).Gonna hunt private ground (mine) Sunday and some ponds Monday.

#9 ·
Sounds like a typical opener Mike! Glad you got a couple.

I took a hen mallard yesterday...woulda been a bit better but had a couple teens with us so that was fun.

This morning's weather was great. Solo'd for 3 green heads and a couple Canada's. I swear...I took the Canada geese as a double along with two of the drakes with my O/U. Yet I get a Suzie hanging in mid air, 20 yards away and miss. :hammer: :huh: :lol3:

#11 ·
Craxty said:
That is awesome. Beautiful dog.
Thanks! Saturday wind sucked - Sunday morning cloudy and breezy was great.

It's the little things sometimes that matter. Sunday evening went to a public marsh and nobody was there. Set-up with wind and sun at our backs and were (2 of us) hiding in thin cattails. Perfect one would think...I just hadn't considered that this was as good a Woody spot as anything else. And...where the Woody's would come from (woods with deep creek) was at our back. Soooo...when the woodies did come in - guess what...they came from behind and we were fairly visible, at least if we were 'moving' not realizing birds were behind us as we gleefully looked straight ahead and left/right for incomers.

So the group of seven approached from behind (as I should have thought through before) and didn't commit - probably because they busted us.

Two Canada's dropped in as we expected birds would but I had already shot my limit of them. Even more reason I should have been thinking Woody when we set-up. :lol3:

#15 ·
My group (3 hunters) killed the following between Sat and Sun mornings:

9 Mallards
4 Woodies
1 Black Duck
1 Blue Wing Teal
2 Geese

I'd say that's a pretty decent couple mornings for east central Ohio this time of year. Last drake mallard was banded at Pymatuning in 2006!! Gander Valley Homewrecker had 'em cupped and committed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.