Duck Hunting Forum banner

You can tell season is in...

1K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  HNTFSH 
#1 ·
HNTFSH has gone dark. :evilbanana:

#2 ·
:lol3: I wish...that danged work thing takes some time too. :rolleyes:

Shot a nice black duck last night. Don't get many and am reminded how pretty they really are.

Other than that my shooting sucked last night. Sunday I take 4 mallards with 6 shells in my O/U, weekend before, a double on drakes and a double on geese with two single mallards.

Last night...I think I expended 10 shots and came home with a black. :no:

The difference I thought later was that I was kneeling versus standing or sitting. You can't turn through the bird as well. No more kneeling. :hammer:

Definitely been the best opener in a few years given the rainfall in late summer and early fall - and a strong second hatch.

#3 ·
hntnfsh ain't that the truth I remember practicing for a Colorado bow hunt and I got relly good about calling the bullseye on a multiple target,,day of reckoning however ,,here comes a nice fat mulie doe about 20 yards ,,steady sight no shaking pin placed just right for a pass through.Heck I had that doe cut and wrapped ,and Zzzzippppp right under her belly,,I had been sitting down .All my practice was done from the standing position. Maybe duck hunters should invent a new claybird sport ,,kneeling down or sitting clays.

#5 ·
True 'nuff guys. :thumbsup:

Same reason a few years ago started buying the swivel stools versus the fixed. Practice from many positions is a good idea just hard to work in. It may actually be as much mount and swing as swing itself. I've become a 'snap' shooter and either I developed a routine or it developed me. :yes:

#6 ·
I've got another question for you guys. I've just got written permission for a marsh less than 1 mile from my house. No one else hunts it. I've scouted there twice in the last 2 days. Each time I've witnessed 10 or so Mallards and the same amount of woodys just relaxing midday.

Right now there isn't as much water as the picture shows but still a good amount. What I've seen is that the Mallards hang out at "A", the Woodies hang out at "B". Both A and B have good cover. I wasn't sure if I should setup on C, a more open area, set my decoys up so they are more visible or should I put them right on top where I saw birds lounging? C strikes me as more visible from the sky. A and B have more mature tree and thickets about but still totally huntable. I just was curious if I throw decoys down in a spot they are comfortable with they might smell an ambush. But if I put them in the open area which is quite close to the others if I could bring them in there. Thoughts?

#8 ·
I see them at lunch time. Yes true North. I'm not familiar enough with the spot to know where they fly in from. There is a river just out of picture to the north and an urban area above that. My guess is that they head west.

#9 ·
Hell...anywhere might be great with a mojo. :lol3:

Things I'd factor are wind direction, where they roost and where they head to at sunrise. Along with how deep the water is in that center pond. Can't tell from the pic how deep its is (how far you can set up dekes). Those woodies probably roost on the river. The mallards might - depends. We get a a little freeze on that short water in the 2nd split - I'd be hunting the river if you have permission.

#10 ·
you really like those Mojos eh? Do you have a wind powered or battery operated? Do you use a Mallard?

BTW, all the water appears to be 2 ft or less.

Also, I scared a buck up laying by the edge of c this afternoon. That will be good for the lull during the split. ;)

#11 ·
Craxty said:
you really like those Mojos eh? Do you have a wind powered or battery operated? Do you use a Mallard?

BTW, all the water appears to be 2 ft or less.

Also, I scared a buck up laying by the edge of c this afternoon. That will be good for the lull during the split. ;)
I have 2 mojo floaters and one pole mojo - all are battery operated with 3 chargers and five batteries. Does that help? :lol3:

We are all shooting young, local birds. Migrators have more experience. :lol3: How many, if any, depends on what's going on with the birds. I may pull one after 30 minutes. I may start using one at noon. They are good for bringing in singles and pairs.

Wind mojos are a waste of money unless you hunt somewhere that has 50 MPH winds each time you go out.

Shot another mallard limit tonight between 5:00 and 5:35. Sunlight (very thin cloud cover), no face paint, no duck calls. Third limit without ducks calls. Over and Under - 4 birds 5 shells. I was sitting this time...lol. :hammer:

Be where the ducks want to be. Can't shoot no birds sitting on the couch.

#14 ·
I remember when a friend used to call me and ask ''Seeing any ducks''? I live on the scioto ,and would get excited about 7 or 8 mallards ,,he never said anything till I went with him later on in Jan. I remember one hunt in particular ,''Alan ,look up !'' I did and you couldn't begin to count the birds overhead in layers of circling ducks,, like airport holding patterns.

#15 ·
alanwebfoot said:
I remember when a friend used to call me and ask ''Seeing any ducks''? I live on the scioto ,and would get excited about 7 or 8 mallards ,,he never said anything till I went with him later on in Jan. I remember one hunt in particular ,''Alan ,look up !'' I did and you couldn't begin to count the birds overhead in layers of circling ducks,, like airport holding patterns.
Oh yea. When the world freezes up there is no doubt. For most a very challenging situation without land ownership. I think there are more violation tickets written per square mile there than anywhere else on earth.

#16 ·
HNTFSH said:
are you in the northern or southern zone??
I'm in District 4 just east of Columbus.

HNTFSH, I want to get some mojo's but my better half has seen a fair amount of Cabela parcels coming to the door. I may have to wait till the 2nd split. :fingerpt:

I'm just dying to try out my new spot.

#18 ·
Craxty said:
HNTFSH said:
are you in the northern or southern zone??
I'm in District 4 just east of Columbus.

HNTFSH, I want to get some mojo's but my better half has seen a fair amount of Cabela parcels coming to the door. I may have to wait till the 2nd split. :fingerpt:

I'm just dying to try out my new spot.
OK - so you sit on both. But your new spot must be north of 70.

Don't let me or a mojo stop ya!

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
HNTFSH said:
OK - so you sit on both. But your new spot must be north of 70.
Yes I'm in the Northern Zone.

Check his out. A friend just emailed me a pic of a mallard with a band AND a transmitter with an antenne. Wild looking.
wired.jpeg

Attachments

#21 ·
ThePro said:
Hay HNTFSH drop the o/u if you cant shoot it and pick up a pump or an auto, you will be amazed with that third shot.
lol...thanks. I shoot the O/U fine. I love that gun. I've had semi's and pumps. I drop more birds with double smoke poles than any 3 shooter I've owned. The other night I was in a position where I had to kneel, swing through birds and shoot. I wouldn't have done that any better with an auto. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.