How do you tell them apart??

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, jsa, cartervj, andrew_kirby

How do you tell them apart??

Postby Apoc » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:12 am

I’m thinking about getting into duck hunting next year so iv been going out and watching them as they migrate this fall. here in Ohio there is a list of how many birds you can bag by species. I looked them up online but many look very similar. iv been dove hunting and realize some of this just comes with time but id hate to cross jonny law on my first trip out. any tips would be helpful.

Ohio
DAILY BAG LIMITS
• Ducks: Daily bag limit of 6 ducks not to include more than 4 mallards (only 1 of which may be a hen), 3 wood
ducks, 1 black duck, 2 redheads, 2 scaup (bluebill), 1 canvasback, 1 mottled duck, or 2 pintails.
• Mergansers: Daily bag limit of 5, not to include more than 2 hooded mergansers.
• Coots: Daily bag limit of 15.
• Geese: Daily bag limit of 2 Canada geese, 10 light geese (snows, blues, or Ross’), 2 white‑fronted geese, and 1 brant.

I know mallards and Canada geese and think I could spot a pintails and wood duck. that’s about it. saw some small brown ducks today at a local lake. they would dive under to feed but didn’t seem to have any markings. to small for mallard hens I think.
13 Doves
2 Woodys
2 Gadwall
1 GW Teal
Apoc
hunter

Re: How do you tell them apart??

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:38 am

Apoc wrote: saw some small brown ducks today at a local lake. they would dive under to feed but didn’t seem to have any markings. to small for mallard hens I think.

I'd wager what you saw was a grebe. Don't shoot them, it's illegal.

I did a quick search, and this seems to be a pretty good database of reference photos. It's not strictly ducks, but they are included in the mix.

http://www.birds-of-north-america.net/
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby alanwebfoot » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:07 am

grebes are everywhere decoys are small brown, little chicken like bill is a give away,just buy a GOOD duck ID book and study the pictures ,,go to Ducks Unlimited and try their duck ID games on line it's free,, there are several ,,and you'll learn a lot.
Last edited by alanwebfoot on Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby Apoc » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:05 pm

Great advice thanks very much. I drive through a Wildlife area on my way home from work every day. Iv been keeping binoculars in the car so I can spot bird iv never seen then hurry home to look them up. Need to find a bird book. Do you guys hunt with boat, waders or both?
Last edited by Apoc on Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
13 Doves
2 Woodys
2 Gadwall
1 GW Teal
Apoc
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:58 am

You're probably seeing Coots.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:33 pm

Apoc, was what you saw this:

American-Coot.jpg

Or this:

grebe.jpg
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Apoc » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:55 pm

the first is a coot. rite? the second looks like one i saw at a local city park but didnt find anything on line that looked much like it. what is it?
13 Doves
2 Woodys
2 Gadwall
1 GW Teal
Apoc
hunter

Postby Apoc » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:58 pm

maybe not the ones i saw had ling necks like the second bird but orange bills i think
13 Doves
2 Woodys
2 Gadwall
1 GW Teal
Apoc
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:20 pm

Apoc wrote:the first is a coot. rite? the second looks like one i saw at a local city park but didnt find anything on line that looked much like it. what is it?

number 1 is a coot, number 2 is a grebe. There are several types of grebes, but the one I posted is the type I see most often.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting