Caeser Creek Lake

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, jsa, cartervj, andrew_kirby

Caeser Creek Lake

Postby drake14 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:34 am

How's the hunting been on Caeser Creek so far this season? Are there any birds around yet?

I hunt Caeser Creek and the surrounding area pretty hard for one week every year around Christmas, the rest of the time I'm out of state. Just curious as to who's hunting it and what type of bird activity you are seeing.

Thanks,
drake14
hunter

Re: Caeser Creek Lake

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:34 am

All depends on the weather dontcha think?
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby drake14 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:13 am

Haha yes. So have you killed any birds or not?
drake14
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:31 am

I've killed a bunch. I just don't list where on the internet. :thumbsup:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby drake14 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:43 am

So why are you resonding to this post then?

Where are you from HNTFSH? Southwestern part of the state?
drake14
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:55 am

drake14 wrote:So why are you resonding to this post then?

I am responding to your question because wasn't sure you knew that what people are seeing today will likely have zero impact on what you might see the week of Christmas. Not to mention I doubt a whole lot of people are going to post on the internet where they are seeing a lot of birds so that the lazy-of-the-world don't have to make an effort to find out themselves.

Now maybe with a little effort you could do a search on Ceasar's Creek, find someone who hunts the area and PM them. They might respond.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby drake14 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:05 pm

Just curious man. You are right but I'm going to hunt over Christmas whether there are ducks or not. Just trying to see how people were doing in the area and see if how many local birds were around. Though that probably wont affect me in December.

I live in Illinois right now and was trying to get a feel for how people have faired back home. Thanks though....

What part of the state do you live in HNTFSH?
drake14
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:08 pm

We had a good spring with a good hatch. Wet conditions made for good breeding of local birds. I'm in central Ohio so I can touch a 360 pretty easy.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby drake14 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:10 pm

Cool thanks. I saw some of your pics and other posts. You seem to be doing well. Hopefully the migration will be hot and heavy during the week I'm back in Ohio.

I have a random question for you and you may not have an answer. Do you know anything about the Flambeau decoys with the UV Vision paint that have been out a while. I was curious about them but have not met anyone who's ever used them.
drake14
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:25 pm

drake14 wrote:Cool thanks. I saw some of your pics and other posts. You seem to be doing well. Hopefully the migration will be hot and heavy during the week I'm back in Ohio.

I have a random question for you and you may not have an answer. Do you know anything about the Flambeau decoys with the UV Vision paint that have been out a while. I was curious about them but have not met anyone who's ever used them.

If it stays just cold enough to push birds down, wet enough, and doesn't freeze - we should all have a good year. Perfect world it rains every three days now through January and Michigan freezes up right up to the Ohio line. :lol3:

Don't know anything about them. Sounds like marketing to me.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ThePro » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:02 pm

HNTFSH wrote:

I am responding to your question because wasn't sure you knew that what people are seeing today will likely have zero impact on what you might see the week of Christmas. Not to mention I doubt a whole lot of people are going to post on the internet where they are seeing a lot of birds so that the lazy-of-the-world don't have to make an effort to find out themselves.

Now maybe with a little effort you could do a search on Ceasar's Creek, find someone who hunts the area and PM them. They might respond.

Hay HNTFSH why do you got to be a Hard A.. Guy just wants to see whats going on cool your jets
ThePro
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:14 pm

ThePro wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:

Hay HNTFSH why do you got to be a Hard A.. Guy just wants to see whats going on cool your jets

I'll be the boss of me - thanks.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby chuckler » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:31 pm

ThePro,

Couldnt have said it better. I restrain from asking any questions on the forums because of guys like that. Apparently you have to be a world class duck hunter to communicate with these types of guys. I will give a report on Ceasars Creek as soon as I hunt it. In the days of limited duck blinds, I try to the best of my ability to provide the most useful info. It ticks some off, but I don't care. My posts have never altered the migrating birds from coming in thier sets. A good day of scouting is worth a thousand words. I look forward to passing on some good info so you may be able to use it at your discretion. Responible hunting outweighs all, and their are plenty of ducks to go around for all of us "rookies"

All the best!
chuckler
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:02 am

Chuckler, with all due respect, the reason people get worked up about stuff like this is that it reveals information to way more people than you might think. This is a public forum,there are thousands of people who can see what you, me, and everyone else posts on here.

Some of the folks that have been doing this for a while have built up a pretty deep knowledge of local waters and fields. That knowledge has come at great expense, and represents years of gas and wheel time. No one is trying to keep someone from participating, no one is trying to keep anybody from getting out and hunting. What we are trying to avoid is information that usually requires effort and time being passed out to the thousands of eyes that are here for no other reason than to glean some easy intelligence.

Whether you realize it or not, most of the people who cruise this forum (and most of the other forums on this website) are just here to pick up some free information. Information that was won by others who put in the time and effort and deserve it. Please be aware of this if you post reports in the future. Be general, be vague. Don't post specifics or you will discover that you will have a handful of friends waiting on you the next time you go out. If you haven't experienced yet, it sucks. Don't disrespect the investments of your fellow waterfowlers. Posting specific information about certain areas will ruin the opportunities that may exist there.

This is Ohio. Waterfowling opportunities come harder than in other states. It's not easy anywhere but here in Ohio hunters are presented with additional difficulties and unique hardships. It only makes it that much sweeter when you are able to pull it off, but also makes it sting that much more when you watch a hard-won opportunity get destroyed by a weekend warrior who is only there to pop a shotgun off a couple times.

All we want is for folks to do their own leg work. No one wants their hard work to go to waste because some other guy got online and posted information about the hows, whens, and wheres.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:54 am

Well said Botits. :clapping:

There's a wealth of knowledge freely given on this site from dog training, to spreads, to calling.

But you gotta find your own ducks, you gotta work for it. It's part of the deal.

It's naive to think posting about seeing birds is a good idea, a sportsman's virtue, a wise and friendly gesture. I can only hope a 'rookie' reads your posts and comes in at shooting light with 2 rookie friends and sets up 60 yards away cause he read on the internet there's lotsa birds there.

And Chuckler - saw your other post. If you are running BB's through an old full choke 1100...stop. You've ruined the barrel and it could be dangerous.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Apoc » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:48 pm

maybe drake14 would like to give some advice about what hes seeing in his area. ill be in Ill. for thanksgiving. how easy is it for out of state hunters to get a licence? our state lets hunters in for almost nothing.
Apoc
hunter

Postby chuckler » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:42 pm

Botiz,

Agree with everything you said. Never would compromise what others' work hard for. General info, bird reports, public places to hunt are what I am referring to.

HNTFSH - Responible hunting outweighs all. And if you get your wish, if a rookie jumps up 60 yds away, I would invite him to hunt with us. Happened in the past, and a great way to deter issues in the future. Teach a man to fish...... many don't know the rules, or the etiquette. :thumbsup:

The 1100 Barrel is a magnum, which accomodates BB's. Works perfectly after a thorough cleaning from a gunsmith. Turns out it was being cleaned over the years too aggressivley, and certain parts arent meant to retain gun oil. I ended up buying a VersaMax this season, so its not an issue. I appreciate that insight because passing it on to my youngsters some day is the goal.
chuckler
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:57 am

Chuckler - I think everything Botits and I said went completely over your head.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ThePro » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:31 am

HNTFSH wrote:Chuckler - I think everything Botits and I said went completely over your head.

Did not go over my head, Its people like you who try to act like every one out there is trying to get you. I agree ohio duck hunters have it hard, but the man didn't ask for your honey hole or even your tactics he just asked if any one had killed ducks in the area and if you been seeing on the lake.

It is my experence in ohio that yes there is a lot of backstabing that goes on but unless the person knows what they are doing the people who might skrew you won't kill any either so it all works out in the end.
ThePro
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:08 am

ThePro wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:Chuckler - I think everything Botits and I said went completely over your head.

Did not go over my head, Its people like you who try to act like every one out there is trying to get you. I agree ohio duck hunters have it hard, but the man didn't ask for your honey hole or even your tactics he just asked if any one had killed ducks in the area and if you been seeing on the lake.

It is my experence in ohio that yes there is a lot of backstabing that goes on but unless the person knows what they are doing the people who might skrew you won't kill any either so it all works out in the end.

I'll try and be clear. First of all - I answered the question that what happened in the October split has no bearing on what might happen in December. Birds fly, birds migrate. I assume he would probably know this but then again, who knows.

Secondly - I answered the question about a good hatch and that for Ohio - the birds numbers for locals have been good.

Third - I suggested if he really wants a location report - a little DD would easily find people who have posted about the area and he could PM them rather than broadcasting across the public pages - getting better info from those willing to share.

If you guys really don't think internet scouting exists (as Botits described it) then explain what posts in the forum that allude to spots or kills have so many VIEWS and so few responses.

If the poster comes over for Christmas and drops some birds great. No sense in broadcasting it over the internet by location.

I don't think people are trying to get 'me' I think there are lazy asses trying to figure out where the birds are, where to hunt and how they can ride the coat tails of my (or anyone else's) efforts. Been at it too long not to know it's true. Doesn't matter if it's ducks, deer or turkey. If you want more pressure and competition - post your spots on the internet or post what you're seeing in areas you hunt.

As I said before: There's a wealth of knowledge freely given on this site from dog training, to spreads, to calling. But you gotta find your own ducks, you gotta work for it. It's part of the deal.

The only people I see upset about opnions like mine and Botits are people who in fact, are pissed they can't scour the internet and find birds, spots, and locations from a keyboard.

Lastly - while you might not have been interested in the 1100 comment - it 'sounds' like Chuckler was running Steel BB through an old Full Fixed choke barrel. Perhaps he does not know you should not run steel through a barrel not designed for it. Particularly a Full choke barrel on an old gun.

And your contribution on DHC has been what again?

Oh yes - the post in the NODAK forum about people seeing birds and people despising internet scouting.

ThePro wrote:I have familly in the state and coming thanksgiving thru the fallowing thurs. Just thought i would ask what people thought would be the chances of seeing a huntable number of birds. Thanks God Bless

I am not from ND but I think there's some birds there. Am guessing the responses will indicate the same.

Sorry if I take a hard line on Internet posting of such things. The fact is if you are putting in the effort to be successful you are not sharing that with the internet world.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ThePro » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:53 am

HNTFSH wrote:
ThePro wrote:

I'll try and be clear. First of all - I answered the question that what happened in the October split has no bearing on what might happen in December. Birds fly, birds migrate. I assume he would probably know this but then again, who knows.

Secondly - I answered the question about a good hatch and that for Ohio - the birds numbers for locals have been good.

Third - I suggested if he really wants a location report - a little DD would easily find people who have posted about the area and he could PM them rather than broadcasting across the public pages - getting better info from those willing to share.

If you guys really don't think internet scouting exists (as Botits described it) then explain what posts in the forum that allude to spots or kills have so many VIEWS and so few responses.

If the poster comes over for Christmas and drops some birds great. No sense in broadcasting it over the internet by location.

I don't think people are trying to get 'me' I think there are lazy asses trying to figure out where the birds are, where to hunt and how they can ride the coat tails of my (or anyone else's) efforts. Been at it too long not to know it's true. Doesn't matter if it's ducks, deer or turkey. If you want more pressure and competition - post your spots on the internet or post what you're seeing in areas you hunt.

As I said before: There's a wealth of knowledge freely given on this site from dog training, to spreads, to calling. But you gotta find your own ducks, you gotta work for it. It's part of the deal.

The only people I see upset about opnions like mine and Botits are people who in fact, are pissed they can't scour the internet and find birds, spots, and locations from a keyboard.

Lastly - while you might not have been interested in the 1100 comment - it 'sounds' like Chuckler was running Steel BB through an old Full Fixed choke barrel. Perhaps he does not know you should not run steel through a barrel not designed for it. Particularly a Full choke barrel on an old gun.

And your contribution on DHC has been what again?

Oh yes - the post in the NODAK forum about people seeing birds and people despising internet scouting.

ThePro wrote:I have familly in the state and coming thanksgiving thru the fallowing thurs. Just thought i would ask what people thought would be the chances of seeing a huntable number of birds. Thanks God Bless

I am not from ND but I think there's some birds there. Am guessing the responses will indicate the same.

Sorry if I take a hard line on Internet posting of such things. The fact is if you are putting in the effort to be successful you are not sharing that with the internet world.

I guesswe just got started on the wrong foot i am not just gouing to hand over hard earnd spots that i have found but i am going to kind to people and tell them if there are ducks in the area and if i had killed some. You were also saying that to him as well so its cool.
By the way i go to ND every year my dad is from there. I guess i get spoiled when i go there always see tons of birds
ThePro
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:47 pm

ThePro wrote:I guesswe just got started on the wrong foot i am not just gouing to hand over hard earnd spots that i have found but i am going to kind to people and tell them if there are ducks in the area and if i had killed some. You were also saying that to him as well so its cool.
By the way i go to ND every year my dad is from there. I guess i get spoiled when i go there always see tons of birds

lol...I am happy to be kind to someone I feel I should be kind to. I am not happy to be kind to the 75 lurkers getting the same kindness. :thumbsup:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby jsa » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:17 pm

Glad to see this thread cooling off a bit.
jsa
State Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:41 pm

jsa wrote:Glad to see this thread cooling off a bit.

Me and ThePro are gonna hunt your blind Saturday in celebration.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby jsa » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:07 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
jsa wrote:Glad to see this thread cooling off a bit.

Me and ThePro are gonna hunt your blind Saturday in celebration.

I'll be in the office anyway, but maybe you haven't checked this recently :beer:
jsa
State Moderator

Next

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting