Migration Reports?

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Migration Reports?

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:32 am

Don't care WHERE...and don't wanna know WHERE... :lol3: You guys seeing much evidence of bird movement in the state?

The weather has been fairly mild and I've seen a few groups of Geese at the migration altitude and what appears to be local ducks huddling up. Beyond that...Teal have moved on (at least the BW's) and I've not seen any GW's.

Did take 4 Woodies in an unlikely spot for them a few weeks ago but they were probably locals.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Re: Migration Reports?

Postby ducknazi » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:47 am

Not a lot happening my way. Did start to see a few greenwings start to move in last week on our marsh and our woodies have mostly moved on.

last week saw a few mallards and blacks work in to the area on that minor coldfront. a bit of scouting n Sunday morning found their happy place. Taking nephews deer hunting on saturday, hope the mallards and blacks stay where they are at on Sunday.

DN
ducknazi
hunter

Postby alanwebfoot » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:46 pm

I can nearly spit in the river from my deck and ducks or geese ZILCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby jsa » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:07 pm

I haven't been seeing anything around Champaign, Clark and northern Greene county.
jsa
State Moderator

Postby ohio mike » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:29 pm

Starting to see some signs mostly geese,nothing real great.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby ohiopaul » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:26 pm

seen some geese moving around no duck numbers but with daylight saving time not much light left to scout at night after work, this is around mansfield area
ohiopaul
hunter

Postby Apoc » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:16 am

scouted five ponds thursday after work. 36° and dropping. nothing. :no:
13 Doves
2 Woodys
2 Gadwall
1 GW Teal
Apoc
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:38 pm

Think there' some movement. Haven't seen geese pick up much but shot a Gadwall today in an unlikely spot and popped the 1st Greenwing of the year.

HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ohio mike » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:19 pm

Killed a pair of mallards Sat. but saw some divers up high,could be a sign of things to come.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:30 pm

Good job on the mallards Mike. I was out again today hoping to see something different again but no deal. In fact - despite being cloudy all day with mist it was REALLY slow from 7:30 on.

I popped a hen at 9:00 and stuck out out till the end of the day. Last two hours in the rain they were loading up. But no Greenies or Gadwalls.

HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ohio mike » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:37 am

It appears as though your having a banner year. Like Mom used to say,"It pays to do your homework!" :thumbsup:
ohio mike
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:09 am

ohio mike wrote:It appears as though your having a banner year. Like Mom used to say,"It pays to do your homework!" :thumbsup:

:lol3: Do your home work and stay out all day. I hunted 20 hours over the weekend. Sooner or later it's gonna freeze! :hammer:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ducknazi » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:22 am

Decided to give the greenwings a go on Sunday. they had been adding to the flock over the last week. Shoulda tried them a bit earlier as atleast 1/2 of what was there had already gone.

Did have a good hunt and took home nine for the crew.

ducknazi
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:28 am

Nice work man! :thumbsup: Those greenies are like shooting at bats. :lol3:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:35 am

Noticed birds over the last week have been grouping up, flying a bit higher and a tad more picky what they drop into. Had group lookers but less committers.

With the fantastic weather this morning thought I'd triple the number deeks and give them something different to look at.

Seemed to work but I give some credit to the gray and drizzle. :lol3:

Hope folks are gettin' out and killing birds. :thumbsup:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby alanwebfoot » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:36 pm

seen a lot more high flying geese ,mostly late evening ,I realize they're returning from the fields ,,but bunches more than just 2 weeks ago
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:38 pm

I drove from Michigan to South Carolina today and yesterday. I saw plenty of birds the whole way.

Unfortunately, didn't see all that many in Michigan, but did get my first bufflehead! Another species added to the list!
A year from now, you'll wish you had started today.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Greg M » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:23 am

Starting to see numbers increasing in my neck of the woods (W Lk Erie/Sandusky Bay). Spent most of the last 9 days hunting in and around Sandusky Bay and, while my field observations do not necessarily jive with the ONDR abundance report, I do not have the benefit of an aircraft, so they are seeing more than I can!!! But, there are a lot of ducks ariving by the day.

If you're into Mergansers and have a small boat, you can damn near kill your limit in two or three shots on Sandusky Bay when they fly by within the first hour of light. There're are literally thousands and thousands of them on Sandusky Bay and they buzz the shoreline at close to F-16 strafing run velocity. My son kept asking what those ducks were. I told him they're not what we're after, but he wanted to harvest one anyway, since he had not done so yet. I told him he will eat what he kills and he agreed, so the next flock that buzzed us at Mach 2, I let him take a shot. I told him to shoot towards the front, because he's still learning to lead. He pulled the trigger and two drop in one shot, of course he now thinks he's Tom Knapp!!!! :lol3:

The only problem, is we didn't have a boat, so on my way out to pick them up, I got out a little too deep and flooded my waders -- that was miserable hunting the rest of the morning. Thank God it was Saturday and very warm for this time of year.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about with the ODNR Abundance Reports, here's a link:

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/wild_re ... fault.aspx
Greg M
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:59 pm

dpdunford wrote:We haven't seen a whole lot as far migration goes. We've seen a couple birds that have been fattened up for the winter but it seems like numbers aren't where they should be. We got kinda lucky Saturday and Sunday. Saturday we got 3 Greenies and 10 Mallards. Sunday we got 4 widge and 5 Mallards. We were hunting some flooded timber.

Good hunt! :thumbsup: That weather hurt you in the timber Sunday?
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ohio mike » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:31 pm

Rained all night, changed to snow this afternoon. theres some divers on one of the ponds. I do believe that this weekend they will arrive.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:26 pm

Didn't kill any ducks today BUT there were a bunch of migrant geese,divers and mallards sitting on the open water. They just weren't moving. Way to nice of a day. Boats would go by and they would just move over a hundred yards or so. I'm talking hundreds of each, I do believe its starting. HNT/FSH you getting tired of killing ducks yet?
ohio mike
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:31 pm

ohio mike wrote:Didn't kill any ducks today BUT there were a bunch of migrant geese,divers and mallards sitting on the open water. They just weren't moving. Way to nice of a day. Boats would go by and they would just move over a hundred yards or so. I'm talking hundreds of each, I do believe its starting. HNT/FSH you getting tired of killing ducks yet?

You'll get on 'em - glad things are picking up.

I'm hardly tired of killing birds...lol....have a lot of hunts to make up for. :lol3:

Land owner and boy came out this morning - took these 5 greenheads by 9:00, they left and I stayed till closing only to pick up 1 more bird for the day. :rolleyes:

HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:37 pm

Top notch! Let 'em have it HNTFSH!
A year from now, you'll wish you had started today.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby PHBohiowaterfowler » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:16 am

Some ducks moved in near me but no geese but got back from N.D and there were still millions an geese up there. And the hole way home seen birds. Not frozen and still fields with no snow. So it may bee a bit b4 the geese get here.
PHBohiowaterfowler
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:47 pm

theres a flock of about 50 geese in a flooded cornfield down the road with six tundra swans mixed in. Gotta be migrants
ohio mike
hunter

Next

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting