The Fat Lady is Singing (for me)...

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

The Fat Lady is Singing (for me)...

Postby Craxty » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:07 pm

photo(10).JPG

All in all, I had a good year. It was my first but I learned a boat load. And no doubt made a ton of mistakes, everything from sunken iPhones to filled waders and forgotten decoys. I have to tell you that it's been one of the most enjoyable things I've done in many, many years. I enjoyed every sunrise on the hunt. Don't let the photos kid you with those blue bird skies, most mornings were cold, raining, freezing and hellish.

photo(11).JPG

My unofficial harvest:

3 Woodies
1 Green Wing Teal
7 Mallards
1 Goose

I will never admit to the number of times in the field for that modest harvest. :)

photo(6).JPG

Unfortunately, I was unable to retrieve about 5 more. Some taken by swift current, others scampered away wounded, hiding in thick brush etc. Those are my only regrets.

I'd like to think I covered most of it. I did a very honorable amount of scouting. I found a wonderful private hunting spot. I ventured around the state scouring all the good public land. I hunted in all forms of weather. I broke through thick ice. I witnessed huge amounts of migrating birds (although they didn't want anything to do with me most times). I had the opportunity to hunt from a boat on open water. Hunted a couple times with a well trained lab. All in all, I am pretty sure I am still at a calorie deficit. :)

IMG_0959.jpg

My biggest mistake was to not scout south of RT 70. I'm now shut down, got no where to hunt! The fat lady is singing for me and it is truly sad.

I hope you all had a good year in the North Zone as well and I thank you for all the help and advice. It was awesome. I can't wait until next year. :violin:

Craxty

photo(8).JPG

Re: The Fat Lady is Singing (for me)...

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:35 pm

:clapping: :clapping:

Glad to hear you enjoyed the season, I know I enjoyed your posts along the way. Good on you for being willing to put in the work and make it happen. You are the antithesis of the average newbie duck hunter. You'd be welcome in my blind any day.
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Re: The Fat Lady is Singing (for me)...

Postby Craxty » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:20 pm

Thanks man. Good hunting.

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting