Southern Ohio Migration?

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Southern Ohio Migration?

Postby ohiofowler » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:31 pm

When are these ducks gonna hit southern Ohio? There are a few here, but last year it seemed like a lot more numbers by this point. No significant snow to think of anytime soon. I hope these ducks start comin so we dont end up like the north zone and they come after our season!
ohiofowler
Newb

Re: Southern Ohio Migration?

Postby sc83 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:15 pm

No cold means no new birds.
sc83
hunter

Postby huntnfishmaggers » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:57 pm

don't know your situation, but my advice is to hunt rivers adjacent to agriculture. there are good (not great) numbers of birds on some of the rivers around columbus
huntnfishmaggers
hunter

Postby steiner » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:07 am

The good news is it should be soon. I'm up on Lake Erie and the birds finally got here today. Saw thousands of ducks and geese this morning. I assume they'll be continuing south as the weather here is supposed to stay bad. Wish I had somewhere to hunt down there. We had a fantastic season up here for ducks but the last 10 days or so (just before Christmas) was a bust with just no birds around. Not enough bad weather up north to move them down.
steiner
Newb

Postby huntnfishmaggers » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:37 pm

not seeing much here lately, but going out tomorrow. If the birds show up, would you be interested in trading an erie zone hunt next year for a scioto river hunt? Also, could you hunt during the week?
huntnfishmaggers
hunter

Postby steiner » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:50 am

Absolutely would swap hunts. Friday I watched 1500 + ducks (mostly mallards) and 500 + geese pile into a cut corn field we lease in less than 30 minutes. It was an awesome sight. Looked around yesterday (Monday) and didn't see near as many ducks but the geese are still coming. 200 + geese on the ground in a friends cut corn field. Winter came too late up north. I can hunt during the week if they get there and have whatever gear needed. I'm your typical psyco and spend at least 30 days a year in the field or marsh chasing waterfowl plus a couple days on the river with friends.
dstein@steingraberassoc.com
steiner
Newb

Postby alanwebfoot » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:55 am

whats new it happens every year!!Duck hunters in Ohio should petition for a later start and a later end ,,say Dec. 28th. thru Feb.14th.
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby steiner » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:47 pm

Although the season went out with a whisper and we killed very few geese (last week of December we usually really heat up with geese) we had our best year for ducks in the last 5. We had a fairly steady, albeit light, stream of ducks coming through and enough weather to provide several outstanding days of hunting. I generally agree though that a bit later would be better. Perhaps a longer break between the early season and the second split. We usually don't start to light it up until right around Thanksgiving and the week of deer gun is usually great duck hunting for us. This year was just unseasonably moderate up north.
steiner
Newb

Postby huntnfishmaggers » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:30 pm

forget about the season dates being rolled back into February. Pair bonds are established in early Feb, and the biologists are not going to allow that to be messed with.
huntnfishmaggers
hunter

Postby huntnfishmaggers » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:42 pm

Hey Steiner, sorry I could not get anything together here for a river hunt the last week. It was so hit and miss, and that high wind event the last weekend really screwed things up. I hunted Deer Creek on Saturday and saw thousands of ducks, but they were all headed somewhere else with a 30 mph wind in their butts! Tried to hunt the Scioto Sunday but that was a fiasco too. However, stay in touch and we will definitely get it done next year. I'm stepping up to a surface drive motor for next season, and should have plenty of horse power for 3 guys plus gear. Got a question, do you ever hunt Maumee bay?
huntnfishmaggers
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:02 pm

huntnfishmaggers wrote: I hunted Deer Creek on Saturday and saw thousands of ducks

huntnfishmaggers wrote: Got a question, do you ever hunt Maumee bay?

Just a tip, if you're going to talk about specifics like this, sending your intended recipient a PM is probably a better idea.
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby huntnfishmaggers » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:27 pm

dear botiz630, I appreciate the attempt at advice, but the season is over! what difference does it make if there are a billion birds on dear creek?
huntnfishmaggers
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:58 pm

Go ahead and talk about it then, but remember what I told you when next season you can't find a place to park your truck because of all the other rigs.

Take a look at the number of views this thread has received. At the time of this post, 525 people have tuned in to see what you have to say about Deer Creek. What do you think they are after? Only 11 people actually posted a response, so that leaves 514 people who are only after information.

I'm not trying to be a smartass, I'm only trying to make you aware of what can happen when you share specific information and locations on the internet.
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby alanwebfoot » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:42 am

Botiz right!!! on I hunted Deercreek and had to be at the parking lot before 5:30 to beat the crowd,thats a long wait even after setting out the decoys. Where I live at ALL the duck hunters talk about seeing the truly thousands of birds on the man made lake [if your from Chillicothe you know where that is ] BUT nobody is allowed in there either.
alanwebfoot
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting