newbie southwest oh

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

newbie southwest oh

Postby mousley » Wed May 23, 2012 9:06 am

I am interested in trying some waterfowl hunting this winter, I live in Southwestern, Ohio, near Dayton. I was wondering which (if any) local groups/orgs. have good opportunities to learn and make connections for hunting. Are there any guides in this area to help newcomers get out and learn to hunt this area. I am 37 and have hunted before..mostly growing up in Ky., just new to waterfowl sport and not sure how to get started. I'd love to make connections in the area, thanks.
mousley
Newb

Re: newbie southwest oh

Postby HNTFSH » Fri May 25, 2012 1:48 pm

Best advice I can give you is buy a bit of gear...few dekes...take a look at where you CAN hunt legally...and GO.

There aren't really any organizations that help people learn to duck hunt. Nor any that help you get situated. It's a tough entry as hunting goes with limited spots, limited birds, largely dependent on weather (through the whole season) and not many folks like to share information. Many have been burned time and time again with sharing 'spots'.

But honestly the best way to get involved is to do it and spend a few years figuring it out. I have been in central Ohio sine 1969 and still work to figure out where I can hunt anything successfully. Takes time and commitment and some road miles, maps and some determination.

Good luck - be safe.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby mousley » Tue May 29, 2012 10:21 am

Thanks..I'm talking to everyone I know that hunts, just not many that mess w/ ducks or geese. I will probably try some field hunting for geese initially, I think I might be able to get landowner permission to do that.
I live close to Ceasars creek. Is it really yhe circus that everyone say's it is on here and are blind drawings a very good investment?
mousley
Newb

Postby HNTFSH » Tue May 29, 2012 10:34 am

mousley wrote:Thanks..I'm talking to everyone I know that hunts, just not many that mess w/ ducks or geese. I will probably try some field hunting for geese initially, I think I might be able to get landowner permission to do that.
I live close to Ceasars creek. Is it really yhe circus that everyone say's it is on here and are blind drawings a very good investment?

If you get sole permission to hunt good fields you will get offers to help you figure out how to do it and the equipment to hunt with by inviting that party. Yes it is a zoo with a lot of posers (1/2 azzin it), early hunters (like to go the first few weeks then watch football the rest of the season) and then there's some guys that just have no clue. Amongst that there are a few 'good guys'.

Last newbie I took from here fidgeted the entire time and could not stop talking. He flared the very few birds we saw. It sucked. Worst off I took him to a good public spot that doesn't get much traffic. After deciding I really didn't want to hunt with him again...I had to deal with him going back to said spot (alone or with others).

All I'm saying is it takes a lot of work for not a lot of birds and when the season comes...anybody that takes it seriously does not want a boat anchor. If you bring something to the 'party' like 'land' you will find the risk/reward of hunting with a new guy is lessened.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Apoc » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:41 pm

This will be my rookie season. Iv been wanting to try waterfowl hunting for several years but asking everyone I knew got me no were. It wasn't until this past spring when I began buying up decoys and other stuff that I had a few people want to join me. Tomorrow is the blind drawings and I'm wondering if I'm going to have to chase some people off. Take the first step. Good advice HNTFSH. Good luck.
13 Doves
2 Woodys
2 Gadwall
1 GW Teal
Apoc
hunter

Postby bflow08 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:56 am

alright here is the down and dirty, most experienced waterfowlers have a group of guys they have been hunting with for years and always hunt with those same guys because they bond well together, they dont take new guys because thats to much work and if they do take a new guy its like grooming them into the sport like a son or grandson or family friend type of thing. Now i was lucky enough that when i was in high school me and a few of my buddys started hunting and for the last 6-7 years we have gotten good, we always hunt together. I joined the military, and although im only 3 hours from home its hard to get back there every weekend to hunt (I do about every other weekend) with that being said i know what it takes to be an established hunter in an area (it takes a few crappy years to get the results you are looking for) you wont find a honey hole over night and people arnt going to give you theirs. I have decided this year for those weekends i cant make it home im gonna try and hunt around the dayton area some. i have a buddy that is newer to the sport and to try and give back to the sport i have decided that were gonna work together and try and get some birds under our belt this year. like i said i have been doing this for a few years and have thousands of dollars wrapped into it.. there isnt much i dont have so equiptment is not an issue for me. as of right now it is just me and him and he is already newer to the sport himself so if you want to help us we might be able to help you. just because you dont have equiptment dosent mean you cant be of help... first off i only hunt with like minded people.. so no shady stuff like over shooting limits not having the proper ammo, liceans, or hunting where unathourized. Also i respect other hunters so i dont skybust or try and steal birds out of other peoples spreads if there is more then one group in a marsh... the more eyes you have looking for birds the better... i live out in huber your on the otherside of dayton... scouting is key... the birds arnt going to call you and say hey im in this field so you have to do homework... scouting is the most important thing you can do... if your willing to put in the time and effort to go scout birds and you show a drive and intrest in learning the right way then i would be more then happy to show you the ropes and let you roll with us on a few hunts.. your a bit older then i am.. im 23 so if you dont mind learning from a younger guy then PM me and we can see what we can get into... i can take you out scouting first to show you what you should be looking for and then go from there...
Bryan
Active USAF
When you have spent a missed season in the sandbox of the middle east.. you learn that every hunt, good or bad, is a vacation well worth the time and effort..
bflow08
hunter

newbie southwest oh

Postby mike_b » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:31 pm

HNTFSH, that sucks what happened to you. I met a couple guys from DHC for a lottery draw hunt last year. My normal partners aren't as dedicated and couldn't get off work. Wasn't bad, nice guys but we didn't see many birds. I work out of CBUS, originally from there, and I'm up there often. We should get together, you can take me to all your best spots! Honestly, a fair way to meet new guys is to agree on what each of you will bring(equipment, boat,dekes), set firm boat rules ahead of time, leave the dog at home, and agree to go check out some public area you've been meaning to try. This way you aren't giving away your honey hole, etc.

I have one good early season public spot for woodies (in KY), I've only told one person where it is. But I'm willing to scout and experiment with spots I've never been.
mike_b
hunter

Postby WOODIE13 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:25 pm

Give me a push, going to hunt the OH river this year, we can see what we can work out.

Mel
WOODIE13
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting