NE Ohio question...

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

NE Ohio question...

Postby don taylor » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:57 am

I was talking about ammo with another DHC member from Pa for teal, when he informed me that Ohio had an early teal season, which I didn't know about.

I was just wondering if NE Ohio hunters had much luck during the early teal season and if anybody had a pics of a nice strap of teal. I'd rather shoot 2 little teal than 8 geese in our resident season, so I'm considering a trip.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Re: NE Ohio question...

Postby vtcupped'n'locked » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:17 am

Don,
I'm in central Ohio now so can't speak for the NE exclusively. The early teal season here is very iffy. Last year I hunted several days on some of our better marshes and saw one bunch several miles away. Like anything it's all about the timing, in talking with most people the season is too early and the birds aren't here yet in any numbers. It also can be a very very tough season to hunt due to DOW just starting to pump up marshes and early plumage birds, very hard to tell the difference between our juvie spoonies, woodies, and teal and they are watching pretty tight. This year water may be an issues, in talking with several wildlife area managers they may not get the green light to run pumps due to low river and reservoir levels. Keep in touch as the season gets closer and I can give you a better idea of what you could expect. You may consider looking at mosquito lake, may be a draw hunt but it would be fairly close for you....
vtcupped'n'locked
hunter

Postby don taylor » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:27 am

You find it hard to tell the difference in the birds? Many people need to learn to identify the birds by more than just their plumage. Their shadowed outline in the morning sun is enough for me to identify them and tell them apart. That's one of the hardest things to acquire, the ability to distinguish the species in dim light and from a distance. I suppose that comes with time, I've been in the woods for 25 years now, there are no excuses after that long. :yes:

I specifically interested in NE Ohio hunting, basically the western side of Pymatuning. It's no secret that the marsh holds more then enough teal and we frequently shoot them in October. I assume that they're there, but if I had to sit and wait a day and only shoot teal, I could pull down a skunk without a doubt. Other days, I could shoot a 6 bird limit of bluewings. That's in October, I would like to think the odds might be a bit better in September.

Good to know about the water, but that early and no real migration under way, that might just serve to clump the birds together at the limited water and food sources. Make some spots super hot, if you know what I mean. Others might be cold.

I was just hoping some guys could show me some pics and share some successes, maybe spur me to get a temp license and do a 2 day trip to gun some. I know we aren't exactly loaded with teal in the tristate area, but I figure if they have the season, there has to be some birds.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 001kds » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:26 pm

PM sent
Traveling North America chasing the migration and making memories one shotshell at a time! KDS
001kds
hunter

Postby ducknazi » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:53 pm

Last year we had 2 or 3, 5 bird shoots on the BWT in the early season on some private waters. Spotty is a nice way of putting it up here around Pymy. They are a hear today gone tomorrow kinda bird at that time of the year. and conditions, a cool front, have to be just right.

We had quite a few in the decoys before LST, but we also can't shoot til sunrise, NOT 1/2 hr before, during the early season.

I am anything but a BWT guru, but we gave them more of a go last year due to the reported high population of them. Alot of times, they are there for the night or day during a reststop on migration and off again at daylight. An evening hunt was kinda neat when it was cloudy and they were looking to set down and rest.

things may be a lil different this year with the lake being as low as it is.

NE Ohio is definitely not gonna be mentioned in the same sentence as a waterfowl mecca(except this sentence, of course)

DN
ducknazi
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting