Hebron Fish Hatchery Under 16 Youth Waterfowl Hunt

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Hebron Fish Hatchery Under 16 Youth Waterfowl Hunt

Postby Craxty » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:59 am

Hello,

Was hoping to get drawn for the Youth hunt for my son as its nearby but we didn't get drawn. That's the way it goes. If you happen to have been drawn and can't make your date I read that the permit is transferrable. Please consider him for a transfer. My son is under 10 so he would qualify for either the under 16 or under 18 permit. It'll be his second season.

I figured it was worth a shot. If you have one and can't use it please PM me.

Thanks

Re: Hebron Fish Hatchery Under 16 Youth Waterfowl Hunt

Postby DuckAndDogBoy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:10 pm

I've never hunted Hebron. Have you had any success there? Just curious
DuckAndDogBoy
hunter

Postby Craxty » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:06 pm

I personally have not because they only allow youth hunts. My son is just getting into it so I thought this would be an easier go for him since it's so close. I believe I can go but not carry a gun. I've read a few posts from guys that have and they have said a ton of teal have come through there. I called the Hatchery office today and I asked the same question you are asking. The officer said that like every where else it can be hit or miss but he said they have definitely had a ton of teal through there some years. I find that amazing myself because I can't find Teal any where around Licking county. That being said there are very few areas with marsh like conditions here. We can jump Woodies on the river or hit some Mallards but that is all I see. The Hebron location is groomed as a Hatchery and they have setup so maybe they all go there. It's not open for regular hunting so it doesn't get a a lot of pressure.

Here are the rules:

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/portals/9/pdf/controlled%20hunts/2012/Hebron%20Youth%20Under%2016%20Waterfowl%20Info%202012.pdf

Postby DuckAndDogBoy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:47 pm

Oh well that's interesting. Did you get drawn for anything at all or get completely jipped? (like I have many times in years past)
DuckAndDogBoy
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:22 pm

Craxty - how'd the pheasant hunt go?
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Craxty » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:31 am

Hey HNTFSH,

I hope you are well.

Honestly it was a blast. I took my Father-in-Law and my 8 year old son. Ron did an excellent job. Bill was a nice guy. It was a great referral. I mentioned your name when I set it up over the phone. It was really late in the season and they only had hens but we had a lot of fun. Ron's dogs were impressive. Having only hunted over various friend's flushers it was a new experience hunting with pointers. After the experience I think I'm with you, flushers are fun. It was almost ambush-like when Ron stepped in to kick them up. You really need to be on your toes with flushers. All-in-all it was a great experience and I appreciate the tip. Maybe someday I'll have both a flusher and a pointer. My wife is finally warming up to a dog. We may get one end of year or early spring.

http://screencast.com/t/AEpCZ0tfq

In other news, I'm very excited for waterfowl to start. It's all I can think about. I won a couple of lotteries including the first week at Magee. I may have lost a private spot so I may have to hit the public land hard.

Thx again.

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:45 am

Glad you had a good time! Son and Father in law sounds like a good hunt. :thumbsup: Great Pic!

Think I met Ron 25 years ago and he's a GSP snob all the way. :lol3: I do remind him however we've got his 35 minutes in downing 6 birds beat by the 23 minute time with my deceased Lab. Not that it's a race. :lol3:

IF I were going to make Preserve Hunting a staple activity (which many do particularly with kids and parents) I'd probably opt for the Pointer. Aside the point being a beautiful thing it's easier to hunt over, adds some training nuance and Preserve birds are often too easily 'caught' by a hard flushing dog.

That leaves the waterfowl issue though and the limited choices you have in Ohio winters and pretty cold water. Dogs like Drahts are probably the best bet...something with a coat.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:50 am

Craxty wrote:In other news, I'm very excited for waterfowl to start. It's all I can think about. I won a couple of lotteries including the first week at Magee. I may have lost a private spot so I may have to hit the public land hard.

Magee is fun - congrats. Without a dog my sincere advice is only drop birds out front in the water. The surrounding vegetation is so thick and hard that you can easily spend 1/2 your hunt looking for crips. Even though a 25 shell limit -swat crips whenever you can.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting