So how is the hunting in ohio?

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

So how is the hunting in ohio?

Postby garza7585 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:48 pm

Just wanted to know how the field hunting is in Ohio? I got permission to hunt a large plot of land a bit south from Findlay. Mostly corn fields from what I understand. My question to you guys is, how is the field hunting for geese/ducks in OH? Would it be worth it to make the drive down to hunt a few times? What should I expect?
garza7585
hunter

Re: So how is the hunting in ohio?

Postby Botiz630 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:16 pm

Best way to tell would be to drive down and check the property out a couple times before the season starts.
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Apoc » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:45 pm

Do you like to hunt standing corn?
13 Doves
2 Woodys
2 Gadwall
1 GW Teal
Apoc
hunter

Postby garza7585 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:34 am

From what I gather from the farmer, his corn will be cut in late September/early October. Judging by the season date from the Ohio DNR website, the corn should be cut before your opener. By then Michigan, will already be in full swing. I'm more interested in the December dates when our season will be closed.

I'm somewhat new to goose hunting and field hunting for ducks. So this will be a learning experience in itself. Do you guys do well? Are there field duck hunting opportunities in that area. I assume so, because after Erie, there is no more water in Ohio and what looks to be plenty of food.

And yeah, i'll be making a trip down there before hand to check it out.
garza7585
hunter

Postby Apoc » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:07 am

Ill tell ya what just because thats in my neck of the woods and im a nice guy ill scout it for ya. Now where is this place... and whats that farmers name? :lol3:
13 Doves
2 Woodys
2 Gadwall
1 GW Teal
Apoc
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:07 am

East or west of I-75 ? And roughly how far south. You may have gotten very lucky. Stop at I-75 and ST RTE 224 any night all winter and you can watch em come in from the fields to roost on the safe water. Hard to get permission cause of the goofy deer hunters leaving a bad taste in land owners mouths.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:49 am

ohio mike wrote:Hard to get permission cause of the goofy deer hunters leaving a bad taste in land owners mouths.

Man is that a recurring theme. I actually open my question for permission stating I don't deer hunt. And later ask if they prefer deer be taken, if getting permission.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:50 am

HNTFSH wrote:
ohio mike wrote:Hard to get permission cause of the goofy deer hunters leaving a bad taste in land owners mouths.

Man is that a recurring theme. I actually open my question for permission stating I don't deer hunt. And later ask if they prefer deer be taken, if getting permission.

Mike - owe you a call to catch up.

Chance - you too if you're reading.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby vtcupped'n'locked » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:28 am

It is tough being a younger guy that is new to the state. When I have been able to track down a landowner for a specific track, they either don't give me the time of day, already have someone who has hunted it for the last 20 years, or it's leased.... I have a feeling it's only going to be worse this year with the limited water.
vtcupped'n'locked
hunter

Postby ThePro » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:01 am

Hey get used to it,
I have been seriously hunting waterfowl in central Ohio for about 5 to 6 years. The deer hunter’s leasing property issue is only going to get worse. As for the question outside of a couple of water holes in Springfield, all I do is hunt fields. I slam the geese but it’s hit or miss on the ducks
ThePro
hunter

Postby Andy thomas » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:04 am

I would get some specific addresses from the farmer and pull a google search of them, then I would start looking for areas near by that could hold water. If you have some water in the area you have a good chance of it holding some birds. I am across the state and access is getting hard to come by. Are you hunting by your self or with a group? How many decoys do you have? A lot of question will like this will tell you how you are going to be able to hunt it. Does the farmer have other guys hunting it too? I have been in huge fields where we have had two other groups set up in it( we always ask if they would rather set up with us but that doesn't happen all the time) having more realistic looking decoy spread, flagging and better calling and being the first one to the X made the difference. I personally think being the first on the X is the most important. If your coming down. By yourself you might want to look at hooking up with a guy down hear, let them scout it, by doing this you will be able to come down and hunt, find a guy that has decoys and all you have to do the. Is grab the blind and gun and get down here.( the hard part is finding the right guy) good luck and hopefully you get your limit of geese every time out, dang rats are everywhere
Andy thomas
Newb

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting