New to ohio area.

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, cartervj, jsa

New to ohio area.

Postby camolab » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:18 pm

New to the ohio area not duck hunting though. Looking for someone willing to maybee show me around one day or weekend. Live in North Baltimore/Findlay area. I have a lab,decoys,guns,waders, just not trying to jump into peoples spots. have a field to hunt but never see any geese or ducks flying over. I have been reading up a little here and there but everything leads to lake erie area? Is that the best place to hunt around here? Any advice would help. Dont want to let the whole season pass and not shoot a duck/goose.
Thank you
Frank
camolab
hunter

Re: New to ohio area.

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:05 pm

Is this the Lab that you're looking for it's first retrieve out of? That is fun, I admit.

Frank - you can ask and maybe someone will 'show you' around but the best way to learn is GO. There are state maps and wildlife areas available on the ODNR website. Then there's a migration which hasn't happened yet.

Took most of us years (before and after the season effort) of no luck to get a little good luck so IMO - that's what I suggest you do too.

Good luck.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ohio mike » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:19 pm

Maumee River. Do you have a boat,or canoe?
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby camolab » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:59 pm

HNTFSH-- yes this will be is his first retrieve. Been training him for a while now. Working along side a seasoned lab.
I will check the ODNR website and see what i come up with. Im doing some light scouting now but have not had a chance to get up to the marsh areas or lake. Thank you for the advice.
Ohio Mike-- I used to have a very nice duck boat but I sold it before I left long island. Working on a canoe right now actually or even a smaller jon boat. Maumee river? are there places where i dont have to be put in a lotto or something like that?

Thanks fellas a few tips here and there help out. I appreciate the info.
camolab
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:35 pm

Take a look at the North Turkeyfoot Area for a easy walk in. Try Weirs Rapids if the waters a little low. Check them out during the split. Theres more but I'm gonna make you find them. :lol3: No lottos they will be marked Public hunting.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:51 am

camolab wrote:HNTFSH-- yes this will be is his first retrieve. Been training him for a while now. Working along side a seasoned lab.
I will check the ODNR website and see what i come up with. Im doing some light scouting now but have not had a chance to get up to the marsh areas or lake. Thank you for the advice.
Ohio Mike-- I used to have a very nice duck boat but I sold it before I left long island. Working on a canoe right now actually or even a smaller jon boat. Maumee river? are there places where i dont have to be put in a lotto or something like that?

Thanks fellas a few tips here and there help out. I appreciate the info.

It really does take, as you said, scouting on your own. Not so much for bird traffic like in other areas (North Dakota, Illinois, etc.) as much as just - where can I hunt and why would I go there? That takes a few years as well as a few springs, summers and winters to do. Then each year, what's the weather and water doing. Being even marginally successful in Ohio is a year round venture IMO.

All I know about the Lake Erie region is there are lots of guys locked up with leases, mostly ag land and some small marsh pockets. Think there's some public access around the lake but that you have to look at.

I'd work like the dickens in your area for some private permission on field hunting.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby camolab » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:27 am

Went and checked them both out yesterday (30th) seem to be a good start. I must have used half a tank of gas going up and down the river on both sides checking all the little spots here and there. lol is there no one that hunts around that area? I seen ducks up and down the river not a single soul hunting. empty blinds and no trucks/cars anywhere. Almost felt like i was doing something wrong.
OHIO MIKE-- What did yo mean by check them out during the split???

I need a canoe like yesterday.
camolab
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:46 am

camolab wrote:Went and checked them both out yesterday (30th) seem to be a good start. I must have used half a tank of gas going up and down the river on both sides checking all the little spots here and there. lol is there no one that hunts around that area? I seen ducks up and down the river not a single soul hunting. empty blinds and no trucks/cars anywhere. Almost felt like i was doing something wrong.
OHIO MIKE-- What did yo mean by check them out during the split???

I need a canoe like yesterday.

The reason you saw no hunters is the first half went out on the 28. Come 1st day of the second half there will be hunters trust me and thats including me. Hence you were scouting during the split. :yes: And yes this weather brought some ducks, but theres more to come. If the weather is right that river covers up with ducks. As a side note in the spring its a world class Walleye spot. Folks come thousands of miles to fish it. Hint get on ST RT 235 go south till you cross the Blanchard and check out the boat launch. Its just west of Finlay.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:59 am

ohio mike wrote:The reason you saw no hunters is the first half went out on the 28.

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:10 am

Since on the topic of when you can hunt might as well dive into where/how you can hunt on rivers and streams.

You can float but you cannot touch bottom, walk, set decoy lines, etc on the stream bottom unless its state owned or permission from land owner. This significantly changes your opportunities.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby camolab » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:45 pm

So does that include the public spots which I scouted? They were marked with the ODNR mumbo jumbo. :lol3:
Thanks mike I kind of figured that but thought i would ask before assuming anything. Ive heard of the walleye runs here also might have to check it out this spring also
I will most likely just hunt a few public spots to be safe this season since im new in town and dont want to burn any bridges even befpore there built.
Thanks again for this info. GREATLY appreciated.
camolab
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:06 pm

camolab wrote:So does that include the public spots which I scouted? They were marked with the ODNR mumbo jumbo. :lol3:
Thanks mike I kind of figured that but thought i would ask before assuming anything. Ive heard of the walleye runs here also might have to check it out this spring also
I will most likely just hunt a few public spots to be safe this season since im new in town and dont want to burn any bridges even befpore there built.

Depends on where you are on the stream or river. Just because a launch is ODNR doesn't mean the whole stream bottom is.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ohio mike » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:28 am

camolab wrote:So does that include the public spots which I scouted? They were marked with the ODNR mumbo jumbo. :lol3:

The two spots I sent you to are public hunting areas and you can hunt. At Wiers Rapids the no hunting area is clearly marked. Its to the right. All the islands but one are public and its marked.
ohio mike
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting