salt fork?

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

salt fork?

Postby timmer » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:26 am

im from michigan and me and my buddy are thinking about doing a buck and duck hunt in the salt fork park. does anybody know the odds of us killing some birds and better yet a big buck. does it oproduce alot of deer? and any size/
timmer
hunter

Re: salt fork?

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:32 am

There's more deer and ducks in Michigan.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Botiz630 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:05 pm

HNTFSH wrote:There's more deer and ducks in Michigan.

That's what I'm thinking. I go the other way when I want to kill deer or ducks.
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby timmer » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:59 am

maybe ducks and we have alot of deer but our deer a lucky to make it 2.5 years old everything gets shot upo here no matter what and ohio has huge deer from what i hear
timmer
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:15 am

Ohio gun season lasts one week with 500,000 hunters. We also get one bonus weekend. State parks draw the biggest crowds.

Most big deer that are taken are scouted over weeks and months on private land. We have a lot of deer and a lot of pressure.

I wouldn't make the trip to Salt Fork State park thinking I'd have a good shot at big deer. And definitely wouldn't thinking there's ample opportunity for ducks.

I would be afraid of being shot at though.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby timmer » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:36 pm

well my buddy went down early he seen five deer so far in one hunt 4 bucks and a doe biggest buck score about 150 and he said ducks everywhere compared to hear in mid michgan so im thinkin i might go
timmer
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:55 pm

timmer wrote:well my buddy went down early he seen five deer so far in one hunt 4 bucks and a doe biggest buck score about 150 and he said ducks everywhere compared to hear in mid michgan so im thinkin i might go

Sounds pretty nice, I'm on my way.
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:52 pm

Does sound too good to be true!!! :lol3:

But I've only lived here sine 1969.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby vtcupped'n'locked » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:07 pm

Does he know ducks in the south don't come back in for a month......
vtcupped'n'locked
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:35 am

Salt Fork is in the North Zone. But you're right - I don't know. By the time either zone opens gun season on deer will be full swing so not sure what the plan is.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby bflow08 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:44 am

timmer,

I wouldent ask for advice here in the ohio forum if you read nearly every post, people will tell you how bad hunting in ohio is, and how there are no birds, or deer, and how there are to many hunters. and i live in Ohio! I would say just go down and check it out, you cant kill anything unless your there. People are to worked up that you will kill the birds they are after. What people forget is, that birds and deer are not owned by them and they have no control, its the feds that own the birds and its everyones right to hunt them. So you will hear everyone here in Ohio say there isnt anything here, but then brag about how good they did this weekend. If you have the passion to go out there, then just try and you will have a better idea at what your looking at. Now its likely people will read this and tell me how wrong i am and will get all butt hurt over reading this, just because they "know it all because they have been hunting here since jesus was knee high to a grass hopper". Ohio produces alot of nice deer, and a decent amount of birds if the weather is right. There are many places to hunt you just have to be at the right spot, and may have to knock on a few doors, and be willing to be out early to beat other hunters to the spot. Like i said no one owns the birds if you get in a spot before someone that has hunted that spot for 90 years then tough for them they cant do anything about it if you are doing it legally. I have no problem undercutting someone for birds if i have permission and or get there earlier on public ground, and dont think they wouldent do the same thing to you.
Bryan
Active USAF
When you have spent a missed season in the sandbox of the middle east.. you learn that every hunt, good or bad, is a vacation well worth the time and effort..
bflow08
hunter

salt fork?

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:56 am

Hey timmer, about what part of Michigan are you from?
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:48 am

bflow08 wrote:timmer,

I wouldent ask for advice here in the ohio forum if you read nearly every post, people will tell you how bad hunting in ohio is, and how there are no birds, or deer, and how there are to many hunters. and i live in Ohio! I would say just go down and check it out, you cant kill anything unless your there. People are to worked up that you will kill the birds they are after. What people forget is, that birds and deer are not owned by them and they have no control, its the feds that own the birds and its everyones right to hunt them. So you will hear everyone here in Ohio say there isnt anything here, but then brag about how good they did this weekend. If you have the passion to go out there, then just try and you will have a better idea at what your looking at. Now its likely people will read this and tell me how wrong i am and will get all butt hurt over reading this, just because they "know it all because they have been hunting here since jesus was knee high to a grass hopper". Ohio produces alot of nice deer, and a decent amount of birds if the weather is right. There are many places to hunt you just have to be at the right spot, and may have to knock on a few doors, and be willing to be out early to beat other hunters to the spot. Like i said no one owns the birds if you get in a spot before someone that has hunted that spot for 90 years then tough for them they cant do anything about it if you are doing it legally. I have no problem undercutting someone for birds if i have permission and or get there earlier on public ground, and dont think they wouldent do the same thing to you.

All I can say in living here also is that I would NOT go to Salt Fork State park for either ducks or deer. I don't now so am hardly hiding or protecting my secret public spots on this thread.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting