Second Half Pressure

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, cartervj, jsa

Second Half Pressure

Postby vtcupped'n'locked » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:50 pm

Hey Guys,
Only second season hunting in Ohio, so still learning the ropes a bit, what do you see as far as pressure during the second half of the season?
vtcupped'n'locked
hunter

Re: Second Half Pressure

Postby OrangeMilk » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:27 pm

Depends on the weather. If it stays warmer for the next month the birds will stay morth. If it gets cold they will move south during the break.

Deer hunters will be out in the North Zone the first week it is back in. If it's cold, cold, cold and the ponds/lakes are frozen you will need to find flowing rivers/creeks. Geese don't do creeks, but mallards will.

Personally I feel there is more presure during the first half. A lot of folks move to deer hunting and the weather as well as the migration is unknown.
OrangeMilk
hunter

Postby BLACKJACK225 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:37 pm

Where I'm at you cant get away from people. A wise man once told me "It is amazing how many duck hunters there are in an area that there are no ducks".

I agree though that there is more pressure in the 1st half but not by much. Also, there are always guys still fishing screaming around on their boats. I can remember a couple times when birds were working and a fisherman comes by and scares them off.
BLACKJACK225
hunter

Postby Chance » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:17 pm

BLACKJACK225 wrote:Where I'm at you cant get away from people. A wise man once told me "It is amazing how many duck hunters there are in an area that there are no ducks".

I agree though that there is more pressure in the 1st half but not by much. Also, there are always guys still fishing screaming around on their boats. I can remember a couple times when birds were working and a fisherman comes by and scares them off.

LOL! We must hunt the same area. Last Saturday of the first half, I had two guys set up 40 yards from me and my son. However, I don't know if they were duck hunting or practicing for Stuttgart! No decoys and 15-20 note hail calls if a duck was any where in the area.
Chance
hunter

Postby BLACKJACK225 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:44 am

Sounds about right. It always amazes me what some people will do. Brings a memory to mind. Happened this year, I was up in Michigan hunting with family. My uncle and cousin were in a blind in the same marsh as my brother and I. Anyway a group of 2 guys come out to set up. My cousin asked for permission from the guy who owned the blind they were in and apparently this group of 2 guys knew the guy too. My cousin told the group he asked permission and my cousin and uncle already had everything set up. The 2 guys say "Well I guess we will just go over here and we can shoot at your ducks". I kid you not they set up not 20 ft from my cousin and uncle. When I came over to check out how they were doing the group of guys were standing up in plain view. I could have thrown a grenade I mean decoy and hit them with ease.

What area in Ohio do you hunt?
BLACKJACK225
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:18 am

Whether duck, deer or pheasant hunting I always try to have Plan A, Plan B, and Plan C when I arrive. If Plan A has people there I move on to Plan B.

Seems a lot of people only have a Plan A and therefore feel fine encroaching. Honestly - that pisses me off. Public land doesn't have to = douche-bag but it often does. And yes, I think you are a douche-bag if you set up anywhere near a guy already there.

I also know a few that really do no scouting of spots, hunt public only, and are 'disappointed' whenever someone else is even in the area. That's their fault IMO. All this stuff takes effort.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Dbishop311 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:11 am

HNTFSH wrote:Whether duck, deer or pheasant hunting I always try to have Plan A, Plan B, and Plan C when I arrive. If Plan A has people there I move on to Plan B.

Seems a lot of people only have a Plan A and therefore feel fine encroaching. Honestly - that pisses me off. Public land doesn't have to = douche-bag but it often does. And yes, I think you are a douche-bag if you set up anywhere near a guy already there.

I also know a few that really do no scouting of spots, hunt public only, and are 'disappointed' whenever someone else is even in the area. That's their fault IMO. All this stuff takes effort.

I second that. I cant even count how many times someone has set up 100 yards away from me. Its usually down wind. So when the birds swing to set up to my spread they shoot them on the swing. Someone did that to one of my buddies, so he picked up and as he drove by their decoys he shot them up. People think that they are the only ones out there. No repect and theres nothing a duck hunter hates more, than another duck hunter.
No contest ring. No gimmicks. No compromising. It’s just pure, raw, balls-to-the-wall, don’t tell your mother, most powerful, non-nuclear duck calling machine on the planet.This call may not be for everyone. But if you can drive it, Game over......
Dbishop311
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:35 pm

Dbishop311 wrote:I second that. I cant even count how many times someone has set up 100 yards away from me. Its usually down wind. So when the birds swing to set up to my spread they shoot them on the swing. Someone did that to one of my buddies, so he picked up and as he drove by their decoys he shot them up. People think that they are the only ones out there. No respect and theres nothing a duck hunter hates more, than another duck hunter.

That's the maddening part. It's like someone flipping you the bird after they run the red light and slam into your car. :lol3:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby BLACKJACK225 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:14 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
Dbishop311 wrote:I second that. I cant even count how many times someone has set up 100 yards away from me. Its usually down wind. So when the birds swing to set up to my spread they shoot them on the swing. Someone did that to one of my buddies, so he picked up and as he drove by their decoys he shot them up. People think that they are the only ones out there. No respect and theres nothing a duck hunter hates more, than another duck hunter.

That's the maddening part. It's like someone flipping you the bird after they run the red light and slam into your car. :lol3:

Thats Hilarious :lol3: :clapping: :lol3: :clapping:

By far the weirdest and craziest example of this happened to my brother (Botiz) and I a couple years back on the big lake by us. We were hunting a point and across from us was a little bay and as the dawn broke we could see maybe 3 or 4 other groups. Out of no where we see this guy, in normal clothes, on the bay side walking along the waterline. The crazy thing was he didnt just walk. It's almost unbelievable but this guy started doing the "Hail Hitler" walk, then he would do an army crawl for a couple yards. After that he would crouch down and start punching the water. To top it all off he spotted one of the groups and took off on a dead sprint right at them. He pulled up infront of their blind, turned around and started the circus all over again. To this day we still don't know if the guy was drunk or just a new technique to keep people out "his spot".
BLACKJACK225
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:37 am

That is disturbing!! :lol3:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Second Half Pressure

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:04 pm

BLACKJACK225 wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:

By far the weirdest and craziest example of this happened to my brother (Botiz) and I a couple years back on the big lake by us. We were hunting a point and across from us was a little bay and as the dawn broke we could see maybe 3 or 4 other groups. Out of no where we see this guy, in normal clothes, on the bay side walking along the waterline. The crazy thing was he didnt just walk. It's almost unbelievable but this guy started doing the "Hail Hitler" walk, then he would do an army crawl for a couple yards. After that he would crouch down and start punching the water. To top it all off he spotted one of the groups and took off on a dead sprint right at them. He pulled up infront of their blind, turned around and started the circus all over again. To this day we still don't know if the guy was drunk or just a new technique to keep people out "his spot".

I remember that. Man I'm glad there was a couple hundred yards of water between us and him.
First off, we need to get our story straight.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby BLACKJACK225 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:57 pm

Botiz630 wrote:
BLACKJACK225 wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:

I remember that. Man I'm glad there was a couple hundred yards of water between us and him.

Agreed, may not kill any ducks but always a good time.
BLACKJACK225
hunter

Postby Chance » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:31 am

BLACKJACK225 wrote:Sounds about right. It always amazes me what some people will do. Brings a memory to mind. Happened this year, I was up in Michigan hunting with family. My uncle and cousin were in a blind in the same marsh as my brother and I. Anyway a group of 2 guys come out to set up. My cousin asked for permission from the guy who owned the blind they were in and apparently this group of 2 guys knew the guy too. My cousin told the group he asked permission and my cousin and uncle already had everything set up. The 2 guys say "Well I guess we will just go over here and we can shoot at your ducks". I kid you not they set up not 20 ft from my cousin and uncle. When I came over to check out how they were doing the group of guys were standing up in plain view. I could have thrown a grenade I mean decoy and hit them with ease.

I'm in the Clermont Brown county area but some of my hunting is done around the Ross county area as well.
Chance
hunter

Postby BLACKJACK225 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:34 pm

Chance wrote:
BLACKJACK225 wrote:Sounds about right. It always amazes me what some people will do. Brings a memory to mind. Happened this year, I was up in Michigan hunting with family. My uncle and cousin were in a blind in the same marsh as my brother and I. Anyway a group of 2 guys come out to set up. My cousin asked for permission from the guy who owned the blind they were in and apparently this group of 2 guys knew the guy too. My cousin told the group he asked permission and my cousin and uncle already had everything set up. The 2 guys say "Well I guess we will just go over here and we can shoot at your ducks". I kid you not they set up not 20 ft from my cousin and uncle. When I came over to check out how they were doing the group of guys were standing up in plain view. I could have thrown a grenade I mean decoy and hit them with ease.

I'm in the Clermont Brown county area but some of my hunting is done around the Ross county area as well.

Oh ok. We don't deal with the same idiots then.
BLACKJACK225
hunter

Postby vtcupped'n'locked » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:55 pm

Well was out Saturday morning at a public marsh, lets see shooting started before legal light, had several people shoot over our heads at birds decoying into us, multiple parties sitting on levees just shooting passing birds, several birds that weren't retrieved after being shot, multiple shots at mile high groups, and to top it all off saw a pair of guys unload on a passing heron, luckily they missed that as well. Overall pretty frustrating morning, hopefully with deer gun season this week it will calm down a bit...
vtcupped'n'locked
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:21 pm

vtcupped'n'locked wrote:Well was out Saturday morning at a public marsh, lets see shooting started before legal light, had several people shoot over our heads at birds decoying into us, multiple parties sitting on levees just shooting passing birds, several birds that weren't retrieved after being shot, multiple shots at mile high groups, and to top it all off saw a pair of guys unload on a passing heron, luckily they missed that as well. Overall pretty frustrating morning, hopefully with deer gun season this week it will calm down a bit...

And some people wonder why I don't think talking about public hunting areas on the internet is a good idea. :hammer: :lol3:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:22 pm

vtcupped'n'locked wrote:to top it all off saw a pair of guys unload on a passing heron, luckily they missed that as well.

Hunting public water in Michigan two years ago I saw a couple guys unload on a group of swans. On the way out we reported it to the ranger and he asked "did they kill any of them?" we said "no" and his response was "well then what do you want me to do about it?"
:fingerhead:
First off, we need to get our story straight.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby vtcupped'n'locked » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:24 pm

Oh I agree hntfsh, just frustrating to see how many poor hunters there are out there, oh well like I said hopefully from here on out it won't be bad, thinking about heading out to try it tomorrow afternoon, hopefully wont have nearly the number of neighbors.
vtcupped'n'locked
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:44 pm

My experience by percentage in the field have been far more poor ones than decent ones - especially duck hunting. Sad to say...just drawing from my time outdoors on public land. Maybe it's the good ones I don't see because they don't set-up close, sky bust three shells on every duck, or blow kazoos.

I'm no expert...so my bar ain't that high for others.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ohio mike » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:58 pm

vtcupped'n'locked wrote:Well was out Saturday morning at a public marsh, lets see shooting started before legal light, had several people shoot over our heads at birds decoying into us, multiple parties sitting on levees just shooting passing birds, several birds that weren't retrieved after being shot, multiple shots at mile high groups, and to top it all off saw a pair of guys unload on a passing heron, luckily they missed that as well. Overall pretty frustrating morning, hopefully with deer gun season this week it will calm down a bit...

Unless your hunting on the water away from the bank a public spot is a bad place to be in Camo during deer gun season. Those idiots along with a lot more will be back with SLUGS. Think about it! :eek: :mad:
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby vtcupped'n'locked » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:12 pm

Ehh not really all that worried about deer slugs where I was for the most part, just irritating to have people set up right now top of you. A lot of folks out there hunt ducks one or two days a year...
vtcupped'n'locked
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting