Duck Hunter Dies on Mosquito Lake

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Postby vincentpa » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:32 am

Mosquito Lake in OH is near the PA border around Pymie. Many guys from PA hunt the lake. The guy that died was originally from Pittsburgh. The video from the news story is better than the write-up. The video is on the link below.

http://www.wkbn.com/content/news/local/story/Duck-Hunter-Dies-After-Boat-Overturns/yD8SYmZvakaELW37-k73Iw.cspx

WKBN News wrote:Bazetta Police confirmed the body of Daniel Khalil Jr., 35, was pulled from Mosquito Lake around 5:30 Saturday afternoon. According to The Tribune Chronicle, Khalil was a Pittsburgh native who recently relocated to the area. Khalil was one of three who fell out of a boat early Saturday morning and into Mosquito Lake.

The Bazetta Fire Department said the men were duck hunting in a boat near Mosquito Creek Lake in an area just west of Main Street in Cortland.

"People on the west shore who were ducking hunting heard screaming from duck hunters on the lake," said Chief Dennis Lewis.

The cries for help, just before 6:30 a.m., launched a full fledged rescue operation. Over sixty personnel from more than a dozen agencies participated in the search.

Something caused the three men in the boat to go overboard. Officials said the boat may have been overloaded and a lower than normal lake level could have contributed.

"There's submerged stumps and hazards that people wouldn't be able to negotiate around in these kind of conditions," said Dianne Kolodziejski, with the Corps of Engineers, Mosquito Lake.

The windy and colder weather could have also contributed to the accident, something Bazetta's Fire Chief said posed immediate dangers.

"It was unsafe to be out today. It's just risky to do and sometimes we need to...if we're going to take those risks we need to have the proper gear," said Lewis.

At Mosquito Lake, 73 people have drowned and none of those were wearing a life jacket. Officials said that was the case for the three duck hunters who went into the water.

Mecca Township firefighters managed to rescue two of the men about a hour after they went overboard. They were taken to St. Joseph Health Center in Warren for treatment.

A desperate search utilizing divers, boats with sonar equipment and cadaver dogs was put to the test. Sandra Lesko and her K-9 partner, Dock was one of the teams out searching the waters.

"The dog can't pinpoint where the body is at, but he can say yes there's a body in a general area," said Lesko. "Basically, what the dog is indicating on is the gases coming from the body. And they're rising to the surface."
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:31 pm

Very sad, prayers to the families affected by this.

Be safe guys, it's very easy to lose focus and once is all it takes.
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Re: Re: Duck Hunter Dies on Mosquito Lake

Postby vincentpa » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:56 pm

Botiz630 wrote:Very sad, prayers to the families affected by this.

Titz,
Do you ever hunt Mosquito? I never have but thought about hunting it before. From the video, that chop looked dangerous considering the rescue boats were 16 foot + deep V's. I'm wondering if the lake was calm in the morning with the chop picking up later. The Corps lakes can be dangerous that way. Corps lakes also offer the hidden dangers of stumps and obstructions that aren't visible during the recreational boating months. Both dangers present themselves during duck season because the Corps draws their lakes down significantly during the winter months for springtime flood control.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Re: Duck Hunter Dies on Mosquito Lake

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:28 pm

Shame for sure...I'll not speculate on the overloaded boat but have sure seen them.

Saturday morning at 6:30 we had a pretty stiff wind coming off a strong one Friday and temps were in the 20's.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Re: Re: Duck Hunter Dies on Mosquito Lake

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:40 pm

vincentpa wrote:
Botiz630 wrote:Very sad, prayers to the families affected by this.

Titz,
Do you ever hunt Mosquito? I never have but thought about hunting it before. From the video, that chop looked dangerous considering the rescue boats were 16 foot + deep V's. I'm wondering if the lake was calm in the morning with the chop picking up later. The Corps lakes can be dangerous that way. Corps lakes also offer the hidden dangers of stumps and obstructions that aren't visible during the recreational boating months. Both dangers present themselves during duck season because the Corps draws their lakes down significantly during the winter months for springtime flood control.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

No Vince I've never been to Mosquito but I grew up just down the road from a large Corps lake in SW OH, I'm familiar with them.
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Re: Duck Hunter Dies on Mosquito Lake

Postby vincentpa » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:13 pm

HNTFSH wrote:Shame for sure...I'll not speculate on the overloaded boat but have sure seen them.

Saturday morning at 6:30 we had a pretty stiff wind coming off a strong one Friday and temps were in the 20's.

We weren't too far away at Pymatuning in PA. The wind was whipping. The video of that lake showed some serious chop. That's a deadly combination: bad chop, overloaded boat and no life jackets. Unfortunately, it was true that day. The guy was in his mid thirties. It's a shame.
vincentpa
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting