Deer Gun Season

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Deer Gun Season

Postby ohio mike » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:15 pm

I have grown to hate it. I live in a rural area and the idiots are everywhere. Shooting toward houses, three hundred yard slug gun shots, tresspassing, truck loads of guys with loaded guns. Its no wonder more and more land is off limits to hunters. Some land owners actually take a extended thanksgiving holiday to escape the lunacy. There is not a year goes by that I don't kick somebody off my place. I save it for my son and grandkids who come home from (of all places Michigan) to hunt the first two days. AARGH!! just had to vent :mad:
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Re: Deer Gun Season

Postby Botiz630 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:17 pm

I don't know what it is Mike, but anymore, people in general lack common sense and respect for things that don't belong to them. I'm a young guy, and it pains me to see the way things are headed and think about what I'm going to have to put up with for the rest of my life. I love the outdoors, hunting and fishing, etc. but a lot of the enjoyment is sucked right out of it anymore. It seems like the majority of the times I'm out I witness something that makes me wish I'd just stayed home. I've got to move where there are less people.

Hate to hear you're having to deal with folks crashing your party, my people own property in Michigan and it's not uncommon to have to run somebody off so I understand your frustration. Whereabouts up there is your son at?
It needs more cowbell.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby ohio mike » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:48 pm

Grand Rapids,moved there for a woman. He doesn't have her anymore, but two boys and a girl keep him anchored. Works as a carpenter.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby BLACKJACK225 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:10 am

Never taken part in the deer gun season in Ohio but from hunting ducks and going to a pheasant release in the state I can imagine it is bad! No respect anymore.
BLACKJACK225
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:20 am

Worthwhile vent Mike. I've grown to hate it too. Almost insulted when I come in from waterfowling and the gas station clerk asks if I've been deer hunting. :lol3:

And ditto on landowners. The deer slobs have ruined permission.

I'm really surprised there are not more altercations in the field. There's some serious breach of decent conduct and ethical boundary during deer season. It really is sickening.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ohio mike » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:54 pm

Believe it or not a light rain and not a soul was hunting. Does that tell you the caliber of the idiots that call themself hunters when it comes to deer. Its gonna be warm but I'm gonna try to kill a duck or two in the morning before the grandkid arrives.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:16 am

I feel the same way. I'm only 26, but hunting big bucks in archery was in my blood. Gun hunting was a good opportunity to hit some other spots that we had permission from and to group up with a small (8-10) group and hope that the big buck that eluded you in archery was gonna jump up in front of someone. We always knew the people we hunted with, we felt safe during pushes and had some really great deer drives.

Anymore, people are too lazy to get permission, they can't give you a straight yes or no answer as to whether they are going to hunt on a certain day (but then text you the night before after you've made plans), and you feel like you need a bulletproof vest to protect yourself from errant shots and the potential of running into someone else hunting the property that you have exclusive rights to. I CCW anytime I deer hunt now because you don't know the crazies that will be stomping around on your property. Not to mention the unusually warm weather the past 5 years or so...I'm not into doing drives in a tee shirt!

I only hunted opening day this year, hunted the mid day when I figured the fair weather hunters would be getting ansy and coming in. Worked pretty well, saw some deer but never had a shot. This weekend I didn't even deer hunt, but duck hunted both mornings. Pretty productive with deer hunters kicking everything up off of ponds.
Locked&Loaded wrote:
Ohio- what would it run me to have you drop by to rape my dog and set this boat on fire?
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:23 pm

HNTFSH wrote:And ditto on landowners. The deer slobs have ruined permission.

I'm really surprised there are not more altercations in the field. There's some serious breach of decent conduct and ethical boundary during deer season. It really is sickening.

Plenty of blame to go around.

Around here, I know enough not to bring up deer hunting with landowners, but it does suprise me how often I get turned down for waterfowl because the landowner didn't care for the last bird hunters they let on, garbage they left, the tire tracks, etc. Never know what's true or not, but that respose comes up more often than I'd like.

As far as trespassers, I agree. I hunt a remote area where boundaries are not clearly marked and I want to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I can only recall a couple of times where someone we've "told out" didn't behave like a total POS.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby t_baker » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:47 pm

I have permission to hunt close to 3000 acres scattered between eastern allen and western hardin county. All owned by a great family friend. I finally called off gun season and just stick to bow season after years of chasing people off the land. The land owner (older gentleman) spends most of the week on his gator just running people off and hardly even gets a chance himself to hunt.

Matter of fact about 3-4 years ago we had a guy get shot by another hunter from a separate hunting party. Best part was neither groups had permission to be on the land that they were on. The 12 ga slug went in one side of the shoulder blade BARELY missed his spine and lodged behind the other shoulder blade. I was first on scene and watched the group that shot him take off running out of the field they were in adjacent to us.
t_baker
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:59 am

i hunt in Coshocton county on 40 acres with my dad and the land owner. the guy next to us leased his property to a group out of New Hampshire. My tree stand is 15 feet on my side of the property line looking toward our property and the guy from New Hampshire put his stand in the same tree as mine only higher so we called the game wardern he was sitting in my tree when that guy showed up should have seen the look on his face lol
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill

fadetoblack188 wrote:forget i asked.. mods please delete.. the scum bags on this site are overwhelming.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby camolab » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:52 pm

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:i hunt in Coshocton county on 40 acres with my dad and the land owner. the guy next to us leased his property to a group out of New Hampshire. My tree stand is 15 feet on my side of the property line looking toward our property and the guy from New Hampshire put his stand in the same tree as mine only higher so we called the game wardern he was sitting in my tree when that guy showed up should have seen the look on his face lol

DAMNNN the same tree!!! Set a balls he had. Lol
camolab
hunter

Postby BLACKJACK225 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:25 pm

I got a story similar to that. A couple years ago my neighbor (who is a great guy and lives to the left of my mom's house) shot a monster of a buck. Scored 201 and some if I remember correctly. Anway the next season the neighbor to my right lets this douche bag hunt on his property. One afternoon I walk out to my stand and notice the guys stand about 40 yards away. Our property is seperated by a fence but this guy put his stand in a tree along the fence line. His stand hung over the fence onto my mom's property looking out onto our land and he had corn scattered all around his stand. Some of which was on our property as well. Called the GW and he said there was nothing he could do because the tree was technically on our neighbor's property. He did talk to the guy about putting corn on our property though.
BLACKJACK225
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting