Another New Guy Question

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, jsa, cartervj, andrew_kirby

Another New Guy Question

Postby Apoc » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:14 am

Where did all the ducks go? Is the season over or will they come back? I saw a few last Sat. but nothing since here in NW OH. :sad:
13 Doves
2 Woodys
2 Gadwall
1 GW Teal
Apoc
hunter

Re: Another New Guy Question

Postby ohio mike » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:23 pm

Pray for snow & cold,especially up north. It ain't over till its over.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby camolab » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:06 pm

I see thousands of geese still. Not many ducks left around though. Maybee there still coming down. Ohio mikes right Aint over til its over. ducks or not i will sit around and wait for something lol
camolab
hunter

Postby BLACKJACK225 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:14 am

I live in the SW. Where I'm at there in Ohio though there aren't ever a lot of ducks so I'd say it's probably about average. Keep your fingers crossed for some colder weather.
BLACKJACK225
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:14 am

I haven't been out much but from the looks of things we're pretty soft. Need some water in my holes and don't think many birds have pushed down - especially geese. Did see a flock of cranes the other day.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:27 pm

I burned some gas this morning, found a few handfuls of geese but very few ducks. Now I need to get a hold of plat book.

I also found a field that had what must have been an honest 2k sea gulls in it. I've never seen so many sea gulls, it was unreal. :lol3:
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby vtcupped'n'locked » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:17 pm

Have hunted a few days since the opener and I would say a lot of birds got burned out during the opener, have also seen a lot of sky busting since than. I am guessing that between the mild weather and gun shy birds, they are still around, just lying low on quite backwater areas that are secure. I would say the teal and woodies are gone for the most part now. On the upside I did shoot a hen Canvasback today on a marsh not on the lake.... pretty cool, first can that I have shot.
vtcupped'n'locked
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:52 pm

vtcupped'n'locked wrote:Have hunted a few days since the opener and I would say a lot of birds got burned out during the opener, have also seen a lot of sky busting since than. I am guessing that between the mild weather and gun shy birds, they are still around, just lying low on quite backwater areas that are secure. I would say the teal and woodies are gone for the most part now. On the upside I did shoot a hen Canvasback today on a marsh not on the lake.... pretty cool, first can that I have shot.

Nice! Congrats on the Canvasback :thumbsup:
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby ThePro » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:26 am

It has not even started yet, i have hunted out west and south and killed ducks and geese at different stages in the flyway. Here in ohio i dont even start to get excited until christmas and you need some snow. The final 3 weeks of the season are always the best. However i did find a few black ducks mix in with a group of mallards the other day, a very niece surprise this early.
ThePro
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:36 am

ThePro wrote:It has not even started yet, i have hunted out west and south and killed ducks and geese at different stages in the flyway. Here in ohio i dont even start to get excited until christmas and you need some snow. The final 3 weeks of the season are always the best. However i did find a few black ducks mix in with a group of mallards the other day, a very niece surprise this early.

Agreed! Had a few luck years where temps moved birds down around Xmas and a softening spell in January with rain brought 'em back north.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:40 am

Botiz630 wrote:
vtcupped'n'locked wrote:Have hunted a few days since the opener and I would say a lot of birds got burned out during the opener, have also seen a lot of sky busting since than. I am guessing that between the mild weather and gun shy birds, they are still around, just lying low on quite backwater areas that are secure. I would say the teal and woodies are gone for the most part now. On the upside I did shoot a hen Canvasback today on a marsh not on the lake.... pretty cool, first can that I have shot.

Nice! Congrats on the Canvasback :thumbsup:

Wow congrats that gives me a glimmer of hope that i can shoot one. I got buzzed by 6 woodies Saturday afternoon i don know if they are resident or were passing thru
Lonely wives, dirty trucks , and happy dogs.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting