Get ready,its coming

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Get ready,its coming

Postby ohio mike » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:24 pm

Temps are dropping,calling for snow Monday. This could very well be it. :clapping:
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Re: Get ready,its coming

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:51 pm

Mike - shot that Mallard limit in the 1st ten minutes this am. Knew the rain had helped my spot but I was covered over with birds for the first time this year. I agree with you - some birds ahead of the dip! :thumbsup:
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby camolab » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:16 pm

Damn I hope so
camolab
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:04 am

Good Sat/Sun solo hunts...was done Sat by 7:24 and today by 9:00. Lets hope we keep getting wet followed by some cold. I'd have stayed out if there was much evidence of an Ohio limit flying my spot but didn't see any.

HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby vtcupped'n'locked » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:06 pm

Dang HNTFSH no phone call..... haha good hunts. Nice to see mallards in the area.
vtcupped'n'locked
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:48 pm

That's a strong weekend HNT. Better than me, had a couple opportunities today but I couldn't make them finish. Something wasn't quite right.
B Squad Captain
If do right, no can defense
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Chance » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:57 pm

Botiz630 wrote:That's a strong weekend HNT. Better than me, had a couple opportunities today but I couldn't make them finish. Something wasn't quite right.

I too had some opportunities but the birds just didn't seem to want to cooperate. Maybe it was the group that set up 40 yards from me blowing their kazoos! Public land and they show up 30 minutes before shooting light and were upset I was already set up. :huh:
Chance
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:59 pm

Chance wrote:
Botiz630 wrote:That's a strong weekend HNT. Better than me, had a couple opportunities today but I couldn't make them finish. Something wasn't quite right.

I too had some opportunities but the birds just didn't seem to want to cooperate. Maybe it was the group that set up 40 yards from me blowing their kazoos! Public land and they show up 30 minutes before shooting light and were upset I was already set up. :huh:

I hear ya, that is why I went in a little later today. I had the lake all to myself, it was peaceful, and actually I had a blast working the birds even though they wouldn't finish. I had a group of probably 20-25 mallards swing around me a couple times, that really gets the blood pumping.
B Squad Captain
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:05 pm

There's no question birds around private property are easier (on the blood pressure too!). :lol3:

This year I've tried to better figure out what they want, or expect to see - versus wonder later what they didn't like. Slight difference I know but seems to have helped.

A week ago all I was seeing was pairs. So I put out 3 dekes. This weekend larger groups 3 - 15 so went to 10. Also paid more attention to tucking dekes into banks on the strong wind side. Single coot off all alone.

All stuff everyone probably does anyway - just easy to get lazy in putting out your spread.

Everything I've shot was feet down. Mojos are great put they usually flair birds right before a pure commit. Now...I've got them landing with it. Might just be luck too.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby BLACKJACK225 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:18 pm

Glad to hear and see there is some evidence of ducks. :thumbsup: I can't wait to get done with my finals and get home to hunt this coming weekend.
BLACKJACK225
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:35 pm

seen a bunch this weekend but i wasnt where they wanted to be had the pond to myself for 2 whole days i got one on sat and missed a couple on sunday fell asleep in the layout blind sunday afternoon goose hunt lol
quacknstack6 wrote:It's Shaun douchenozzle.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:41 pm

I'm going to try and make them pay tomorrow. The wind isn't right for the spot I want to be in, but I can't pick my days.
B Squad Captain
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:42 pm

Good luck Titz...I'll be out as well. Full day or until a two man limit!! (probably a full day...). Be nice to peg a few Canada's too, eh?
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Botiz630 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:16 pm

HNTFSH wrote:Good luck Titz...I'll be out as well. Full day or until a two man limit!! (probably a full day...). Be nice to peg a few Canada's too, eh?

Oh yeah, I'm glad they upped the limit to 3 this year. Canadas fill the freezer up much faster. The places I hunt geese are hit or miss, but when it hits the extra goose will be nice. :lol3:
B Squad Captain
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Get ready,its coming

Postby Botiz630 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:07 pm

Botiz630 wrote:

I'm going to try and make them pay tomorrow. The wind isn't right for the spot I want to be in, but I can't pick my days.

Wow, big difference between last weekend and today. Nary a duck has been seen.
B Squad Captain
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:24 pm

Yea. i'm still out and we capped 4 Mallards but not as many birds flying around. I have 1 so staying a bit longer. Thought the weather would have helped more.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:22 pm

Quit at 4 seen a few but they were travelling somewhere else.

Titz - you see any birds at all? Didn't hear many shots today which is unusual given a bonus deer weekend.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Botiz630 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:21 pm

HNTFSH wrote:Quit at 4 seen a few but they were travelling somewhere else.

Titz - you see any birds at all? Didn't hear many shots today which is unusual given a bonus deer weekend.

Not a single one, in the same place I saw a bunch last weekend.

Was covered up in deer hunters though :eek:
B Squad Captain
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby OrangeMilk » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:32 pm

Saw plenty today, a dozen Geese and 30ish ducks, not as many as last weekend though. I just cant get the right wind, it's always blowing the wrong way. 1st hour was good, last hour was good, no so much in between.
If you see the ammo in my avatar on sale anywhere, please let me know, thanks.
OrangeMilk
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:22 am

Definitely tough with this weather. Seems the fluctuation in warm/cold just messes with 'em.

Only time a SE or SW wind helps is if reversing a freeze with some warmer temps and rain. Yesterday the little front was coming from SW but the ground wind was SE.

Hopefully we'll get a push over the next couple weeks. Haven't seen large groups moving even a mile high, nor any really typical numbers of Canada's just locals.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting