Identification

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Re: Identification

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:12 am

nice job buddy if i shoot a black duck i think im going to mount it you dont see to many of those anymore
quacknstack6 wrote:It's Shaun douchenozzle.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby firstflight111 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:36 pm

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:nice job buddy if i shoot a black duck i think im going to mount it you dont see to many of those anymore

i shot black duck's on the first day to the last :huh:
firstflight111
Newb

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:06 am

firstflight111 wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:nice job buddy if i shoot a black duck i think im going to mount it you dont see to many of those anymore

i shot black duck's on the first day to the last :huh:

Are you in eastern Ohio?
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby mike_b » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:35 am

ohio mike wrote:Ruddys have a blue grey bill. Small ,brown with a cheek patch. You can shoot 6.

Not during winter hunting season. Drakes get full plumage and the blue bill later in the spring. This is winter plumage, drake and hen. Super tiny birds fun to shoot.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360477678.391463.jpg

You may consider the ident-I-cards. They are waterproof 4x6 cards for hunters to ID ducks. I don't believe anyone who's identifying birds in flight with their light behind the bird early in the morning or late in the evening. The sharp angle of the light prevents most humans from quick color identification. That said there are many birds I ID by their profile, flight pattern and definitely noise before light is defused and colors are discernible.

I saw black scoters on the OH river towards the end of the season. They were just flying past me. I had a shot but never raised my gun because I didn't recognize them.
mike_b
hunter

Previous

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting