Front

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Front

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:53 am

Had higher hopes for this am with the front/rain coming through but saw very little. Nothing after the soaker started.

Will head back out as the wind/cold develops. I sissied out sitting in a 4 hour down pour after 2 hours. Besides...was working from the blind and my laptop likes 'dry'. Wireless device too. :yes:

Hopefully a push??? Big temps drop coming tonight.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Front

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:04 pm

Haha, that's awesome.

I also have my fingers crossed with Draco dropping snow north and west of here. Extended forecast for temps is also promising.

We have a giant roost pond back home that is a pretty good bellwether of waterfowl presence. If they are in the area the roost pond fills up. Little bro has been keeping an eye on it, not much so far but it's early in the front yet. Fingers crossed as I'm off work through the first.
A year from now, you'll wish you had started today.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Re: Front

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:41 pm

good luck boys im going to give it a shot over here Saturday supposed to be nasty tonight
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill

fadetoblack188 wrote:forget i asked.. mods please delete.. the scum bags on this site are overwhelming.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:05 pm

Good luck boys! Am sure this cold front will help.

I figured the birds were hunkered down today and headed back out right before the rain front pushed through. Got in the blind and 10 minutes after the rain got east of us...sky opened up with a couple hundred birds. Like setting an alarm. :lol3:

I love it when a plan works. I'm just posting pics here because every decent shoot is strongly related to weather, as it goes...with duck hunting.

HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:19 pm

Well done HNT :thumbsup:
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby BuckeyeZac » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:26 pm

Yes very well done! I will be hunting hard at least the next 3 days! good luck all!
BuckeyeZac
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:48 am

Thanks guys...always a thrill to see the swarms! As little as it happens! :lol3:

I took 35mph ice pellets to the eyes for a couple hours this morning and while saw a few...the plond didn't appear to afford enough element protection to want to land. And Brrrrrr...it's cold!
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:08 am

:thumbsup: good job buddy
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill

fadetoblack188 wrote:forget i asked.. mods please delete.. the scum bags on this site are overwhelming.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Front

Postby Botiz630 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:38 am

Gonna layout with my bro and buddy in the morning, hoping for some new arrivals. Won't get home in time to check the roost pond in daylight but we'll sit for a while and see what happens.

Then it's off to the gun show looking for lowers.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:51 am

I'd think after the major hits on weather for the birds (hard all day rain, tremendous wind, temp drops, snow)...they'd be out and about on Saturday just to stretch their wings and get sumthin' to eat.

Go get 'em!
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Botiz630 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:53 am

Good news, on my ride home from work there is I field I make sure to look in as it floods when there is rain and always attracts a few ducks.

It was slap full of ducks and geese just now on my way back to the house. I think Draco has brought us birds.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:06 pm

Botiz630 wrote:Good news, on my ride home from work there is I field I make sure to look in as it floods when there is rain and always attracts a few ducks.

It was slap full of ducks and geese just now on my way back to the house. I think Draco has brought us birds.

KILL 'EM!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:30 pm

Saw nada this evening except a small group of geese who came back to roost a few ponds over at 4:00! You know the weather is bad when geese roost 90 minutes before sundown!
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby OrangeMilk » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:10 pm

I'm very excited to get out in the morning, my buddies have canceled so I have to fly solo, means less decoys, but I don't care. A bad day hunting beats a good day doing just about anything else.

I'm still looking for that christmas diner goose.

I can't get out sunday but I may try christmas eve morning, though I don't know what it will be like as the weather will have changed by then.

good luck all
If you see the ammo in my avatar on sale anywhere, please let me know, thanks.
OrangeMilk
hunter

Postby Lcso61 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:35 pm

I will be out Sunday and Monday and if I get anything that will tell you all two things. First, they were stupid. Second, that from where I live it meant they have slipped by all of you with this handicap lol. Good Luck
Lcso61
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:30 pm

At almost 68 years old I learned something this morning. I am too old to be out in a blow like that in open (but shallow) water in a canoe with a dog and decoys. Had two hours in a twenty minute round trip and no ducks thanks to a eagle who set up a hundred yards from me. Oh yea I'm whipped. :yes:
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Front

Postby Botiz630 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:19 am

Brother and I are waiting at the corner store for my buddy. Anymore this is the only time of year we're all back in town and can spend time together. A special time.

A few geese this morning would be gravy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Front

Postby Botiz630 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:58 pm

Well, only had two opportunities. A group of probably 20 gave a look early, no dice.

While later a group of 3 showed up, one of them peels off and heads for us, thought he was ours. He passed over once and then turned a lazy circle around and lined up again but slid to the outside of the spread and kept right on going. Thought for sure we were going to get a goose.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby OrangeMilk » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:04 pm

Heard some ducks zip by over head about 10 till 7, thought it was a good a sign.

THen the sun came up and I saw nothing but wind and an iced over pond. I broke out my ice hole to make it bigger several times but it didn't matter since nothing flew over to see it anyway.

Saw a flock of geese high in the sky driving home though. Also the park pond down he street from my house has about 100 birds on it between ducks a geese.
If you see the ammo in my avatar on sale anywhere, please let me know, thanks.
OrangeMilk
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:51 am

Sounds like everyone is seeing a few but dammit I'm convinced Geese and Mallards are still pretty local birds!

We popped two Mallards yesterday morning from a group of 20 but had two young ones (early 20's) with us and by the time we let them shoot it was over at 2. We should dropped 5 so my theory on a little 'practice' trap and skeet for wingshooting continues to hold true. :hammer: :lol3: I burn about 3500 calories watching a gun come up fast and then a slow 'aim' as the birds flair out and away until a trigger is pulled!

Nothing else worth mentioning.

Afraid this cold snap is gonna hurt us marsh hunters! Couple days of 50 and drizzle would be OK with me!

Botits - those field hunts are tough with local birds only!
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Front

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:33 pm

Had two wood ducks sit down in the decoys right off the bat this morning, buddy stood up to take the shot and missed clean two times.

That was the only real opportunity we had all morning, lots of ducks moving around but nobody wanted to be where we were. This isn't turning out to be a good week for us!
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Front

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:22 pm

Dammit!

Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby camolab » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:53 pm

Did that last year!!! brand new pair maxx 4 2000 gram ins waders. tore on a bolt on my trailer. sucks. on a good note LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW DUCKS HERE WE GOOOOOO.
camolab
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:04 am

saw a bunch of ducks sat but only had a few work there was flock of about 6-8 woddies that took a look but didnt stick around. tore the leg out of my waders Monday breaking ice never even got the dekes out. My season is over i gotta help my sister move this weekend

-Gene Hill

OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:22 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:saw a bunch of ducks sat but only had a few work there was flock of about 6-8 woddies that took a look but didnt stick around. tore the leg out of my waders Monday breaking ice never even got the dekes out. My season is over i gotta help my sister move this weekend

Breaking ice sure does eat waders. :mad:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Next

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting