Front

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, jsa, cartervj, andrew_kirby

Re: Front

Postby BuckeyeZac » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:59 am

I have seen hundreds of geese on 1/1 and 12/31 all flying south. Oddly... no ducks!
BuckeyeZac
hunter

Postby gseith » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:45 am

BuckeyeZac wrote:I have seen hundreds of geese on 1/1 and 12/31 all flying south. Oddly... no ducks!

You must be in the wrong spot. I'm still seeing 100's of ducks while out hunting.
gseith
hunter

Postby BuckeyeZac » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:49 am

I'm hunting big open water.. I heard the ducks in the area are on the rivers.
BuckeyeZac
hunter

Postby dpdunford » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:23 am

There's ducks around still...just gotta find them....try the rivers....
2 geese, 5 mallards and 2 black ducks
Attachments
522764_10101238556814244_450564117_n.jpg
dpdunford
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:01 am

Nice work, dp!
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:44 am

dpdunford wrote:There's ducks around still...just gotta find them....try the rivers....
2 geese, 5 mallards and 2 black ducks

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:20 am

Had a one-day permission slip yesterday with a buddy on land with an open, moving small river water in AG country.

Started setting up about 25 minutes before LST. During that time had a few ducks splashing in 50 yards downstream, some were already sitting there, had whistling wings above us the entire time. Two ducks dropped in the decoys at 2 minutes before LST as we finished and tried to hunker down, and of course flew off before we could shoot.

Given the only open water around, we thought we were gonna be PHAT in ducks.

LST happens a Hen mallard comes screaming down the river - we both saw her and I was gonna let him shoot...he passed an said he didn't want to start with a hen. That, and she happened fast so between ID and such - just didn't take the shot.

10 minutes later, a Drake drops in 50 yards downstream. We figured his calling was better than ours so we left him undisturbed. He eventually lifted off - came in front of us, lifted right as buddy's first shot rang (miss) and Mr. Benelli failed to cycle shot #2. Little cold out. I backed him up through the tree limbs and missed as well.

Well...we thought...no big deal - we'll be PHAT today.

Then...nada on the duck front. About noon we heard a group 150 yards downstream and could see them puddling around. Buddy put the sneak on despite 150 yard walk in snow drifts. Got even with where the birds were sitting and peeked his head over the ridge. A dozen mallards, 3 drakes even sitting on a log.

A few feet closer and buddy was eligible for a triple - ducks had NO idea he was there.

But the HERON DID! :lol3: Couple nasty sqwauks from that bastard and all the birds took flight...buddy 30 seconds away from a great stalk shoot.

Last ducks we saw till we packed it out at 5:24 with a pretty fair hike upstream loaded down with more than old men should carry. :lol3:

The ducks won yesterday. Have no idea where all that commotion flew off to all day and really no idea if there were ever more than the group we encountered before LST.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:02 am

HNTFSH wrote:A few feet closer and buddy was eligible for a triple - ducks had NO idea he was there.

But the HERON DID!

:lol3: :lol3: that cracked me up.

Hate to hear about the way things went for you yesterday, it's always especially demoralizing when you were expecting stuff to happen. Sounds like it was a neat spot though; for me anyway, it can be worth it just to be able to say "I hunted there once."
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:08 am

Botiz630 wrote:

Hate to hear about the way things went for you yesterday, it's always especially demoralizing when you were expecting stuff to happen. Sounds like it was a neat spot though; for me anyway, it can be worth it just to be able to say "I hunted there once."

Me too!! I didn't have to suffer the sneak! :lol3:

Unfortunately with work, time and weather that was the only hunt this year aside the Plond which was weak at best this season. Oh, and a Magee hunt gifted to me by a friend.

Prior to the season had wanted to get out with you, Ohio Mike again and Chance again.

Really like to commit to more time and opportunity next season. And pray the weather is better for ducks, local hatches included. So a wet spring but not too wet for a good pheasant hatch...and a wet fall for a good spring duck hatch...and a cold front north of us in November but only 40 degrees here. :thumbsup: :lol3:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:30 am

HNTFSH wrote:
Botiz630 wrote:

Me too!! I didn't have to suffer the sneak! :lol3:

Unfortunately with work, time and weather that was the only hunt this year aside the Plond which was weak at best this season. Oh, and a Magee hunt gifted to me by a friend.

Prior to the season had wanted to get out with you, Ohio Mike again and Chance again.

Really like to commit to more time and opportunity next season. And pray the weather is better for ducks, local hatches included. So a wet spring but not too wet for a good pheasant hatch...and a wet fall for a good spring duck hatch...and a cold front north of us in November but only 40 degrees here. :thumbsup: :lol3:

lol HNT all you need now is a sherpa to carry all your stuff someone to bring you breakfast in the blind and that would be as close to heaven as you're getting fo ohio duck hunting
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Front

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:38 am

HNTFSH wrote:So a wet spring but not too wet for a good pheasant hatch...and a wet fall for a good spring duck hatch...and a cold front north of us in November but only 40 degrees here. :thumbsup: :lol3:

Winning lotto numbers would be nice too, eh? :lol3:
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:26 am

My expectations too high? :lol3:

But seriously - another banner idea (at least for me) is planting that Dove Field. Gotta get that done in May and only requires an acre or so planted with Sunflower. Of course nearby roosting trees, water and Grit/Gravel do help the draw. AND you want to disc it/bush hog it a couple weeks ahead of September 1.

But from a cost/availability perspective - it's probably one of the better/cheaper ways to get some wing-shooting in without a lot of hassle.

Just sayin'...it's on the roadmap!
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby vtcupped'n'locked » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:36 pm

HNTFSH,
Dove fields aren't hard at all, just need to plan it out and pray for rain at the right times. If you want help with it let me know, can also help you get seed through PF if you want.
VT
vtcupped'n'locked
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:24 pm

HNTFSH wrote:My expectations too high? :lol3:

But seriously - another banner idea (at least for me) is planting that Dove Field. Gotta get that done in May and only requires an acre or so planted with Sunflower. Of course nearby roosting trees, water and Grit/Gravel do help the draw. AND you want to disc it/bush hog it a couple weeks ahead of September 1.

But from a cost/availability perspective - it's probably one of the better/cheaper ways to get some wing-shooting in without a lot of hassle.

Just sayin'...it's on the roadmap!

Now that sounds like a plan!
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby OrangeMilk » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:37 pm

I've been working on that idea too. I have the gravel place, a bit of water, but the bonus is power lines. My plan is to plant sunflowers directly under the lines and as yousaid, cut ehm down a week or so prior to opening day. I just have to figure out how many to plant.
If you see the ammo in my avatar on sale anywhere, please let me know, thanks.
OrangeMilk
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:06 am

OrangeMilk wrote:I've been working on that idea too. I have the gravel place, a bit of water, but the bonus is power lines. My plan is to plant sunflowers directly under the lines and as yousaid, cut ehm down a week or so prior to opening day. I just have to figure out how many to plant.

You guys planting sunflowers talk to your local florist or go to a framers market people bye those all the time. tell them you'll supply say an acres worth and see if you can get some of your money back

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby vtcupped'n'locked » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:35 pm

If you remove the flowers to sell that kinda defeats the purpose of the foodplot.......
vtcupped'n'locked
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:53 pm

vtcupped'n'locked wrote:If you remove the flowers to sell that kinda defeats the purpose of the foodplot.......

Thats a vaild point

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:53 pm

vt - thanks for the offer! I'll see what I can get done. Would like to get two planted to rotate shoots.

DuckA5 - I'll let you off the hook on giving the seeds back since your a Stephen Hunter guy. :thumbsup: :lol3:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ohio mike » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:57 pm

Cutting them down and leaving them lay is not a normal farming practice. Believe thats called baiting,better check.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:28 pm

Mike, I scanned the regs and I think it is okay.

Screen Shot 2013-01-08 at 10.24.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-01-08 at 10.24.50 PM.png (20.79 KiB) Viewed 397 times

And then their definition of manipulation, which includes mowing the sunflowers down.
Screen Shot 2013-01-08 at 10.24.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-01-08 at 10.24.31 PM.png (21.87 KiB) Viewed 397 times

According to the above, it is legal to take migratory birds on land where seed has been scattered as the result of manipulation on the land where it was grown. That last bit in the top screen grab says "or" solely as the result of normal agricultural practice. It doesn't say "and" solely as the result of normal practice.

It would not be legal for ducks and geese, but doves are fine. That's how I interpret the regulation above.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:53 am

Yes, it's legal for dove but not waterfowl.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:16 am

Incidentally, I contacted the state a few years ago asking about the 'legal' distance between a mowed dove field in proximity to duck hunting. Particularly if you were to plant a dove acre bordering or within a corn field you'd later field hunt for waterfowl.

The 'best' answer they could give me was that the mowed dove field could not be considered a baited attractant for ducks. There was no 'distance' requirement. Went on to say, it was highly unlikely that on private ground, this would ever be checked.

I've never seen a duck or goose munching in a mowed sunflower field. Many state dove fields mowed are adjacent to ponds where waterfowl hunting occurs.

I only mention this because if you think you can plant and mow a dove field on or around a favorite duck hunting spot - my research with ODNR would agree. Not sure I'd surround my favorite duck pond with mowed sunflower (says Murphy) but otherwise don't think this state considers this remotely close to baiting waterfowl.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:12 am

HNTFSH wrote:vt - thanks for the offer! I'll see what I can get done. Would like to get two planted to rotate shoots.

DuckA5 - I'll let you off the hook on giving the seeds back since your a Stephen Hunter guy. :thumbsup: :lol3:

Thanks lol.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby vtcupped'n'locked » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:08 pm

HNTFSH,
In my experience it is better to have one field that you mow progressively. Can talk on it for hours but the jist of it is to have the planting and two weeks before season mow a quarter, one week before mow another quarter, week of opener mow a quarter, and leave a quarter standing to hide in and keep standing seed all year. Just my .02
vtcupped'n'locked
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting