Front

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Re: Front

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:17 pm

vtcupped'n'locked wrote:HNTFSH,
In my experience it is better to have one field that you mow progressively. Can talk on it for hours but the jist of it is to have the planting and two weeks before season mow a quarter, one week before mow another quarter, week of opener mow a quarter, and leave a quarter standing to hide in and keep standing seed all year. Just my .02

Thanks VT - that makes complete sense!!!

I think I have figured out square plots work better. While a line (like down the edge of a corn row) equally an acre is easier to get permission to plant, it means the doves will always land at the other end of the strip. :lol3:
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby OrangeMilk » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:42 pm

As I recall the regulations state that a field is no longer considered "baited" after 10 days. So if you mow 10 days prior to the hunt of the season you are fine. As for the waterfowl part, obviously by the time that season starts the feild will be well beyond the 10 day thing.

I hunted State planted lands last year and they mowed two days before the season started.
If you see the ammo in my avatar on sale anywhere, please let me know, thanks.
OrangeMilk
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:28 pm

OrangeMilk wrote:As I recall the regulations state that a field is no longer considered "baited" after 10 days. So if you mow 10 days prior to the hunt of the season you are fine. As for the waterfowl part, obviously by the time that season starts the feild will be well beyond the 10 day thing.

I hunted State planted lands last year and they mowed two days before the season started.

Bait has to be completely removed for 10 days in order to no longer be considered baited. You can't just wait 10 days after cutting, all the grain/seed that was dispersed must be totally gone for a 10 day period. Again, mowing is fine for doves, no-no for waterfowl.
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting