Any Plans Now that the season is over

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Any Plans Now that the season is over

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:46 am

Me i got to re-rig my dekes and get my fly fishing stuff gathered up so i can go to the Grand River Steelhead fishing in the spring
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Re: Any Plans Now that the season is over

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:51 am

Gonna hit moving water in the am for ducks. Take the NZ break and hopefully pound a few geese in January.

THEN it's over. :lol3:
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:10 am

i forgot about "late". season geese better dust off the goose decoys. all my water is frozen
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby t_baker » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:34 am

Everything I hunt froze up about a week ago so I have been getting into my next winter adventures. Got the sled out and did some riding since we got this snow. Winterized the boat. Did a little bit of field hunting last week. But mostly I am focused on killing dogs. Snow came at a perfect time last week with the full moon. And we spent the weekend pushing sections. As a group we have killed a total of 17 coyotes since the first snow hit 2 weeks ago. I am personally up to 5 myself. Gonna deer hunt this weekend and get back into yote killing next wednesday.

Here are a few pics from a few I called in.

25-06 exit hole. 300 yd shot with 85 grain nosler ballistic tips.

t_baker
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:05 am

Im looking at a predator call I want to try yotes never done it before. what caliber rifle did you use. I like the idea of trying with a shotgun

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby t_baker » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:15 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Im looking at a predator call I want to try yotes never done it before. what caliber rifle did you use. I like the idea of trying with a shotgun

I shoot a savage 25-06. I only carry my rifle when I call. Ohio yotes are hard to call. We are most successful in pushing them out of sections. We have about 10 trucks and 20 guys, cb radios. I carry shotgun with #4 bk and my rifle when we push. We basically drive around at dawn and look for tracks in the snow. When we figure out where they are we push them out. Same as you would with deer. We leave a couple trucks on the roads to keep track of them and eventually... BOOM they are dead. Pretty big rush. We have been hunting them for about 8 years this way. We have tried dogs. No success. Better off just getting out and stomping them out yourself.
t_baker
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:45 am

I hear they are harder to hunt then deer. my buddy has one on his farm keeps eating her barn cats im going to try to take care of that for her

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:41 am

I haven't hunted yotes but do know they're crafty. Spot I hunt is near a heavily traveled State Route and when an ambulance goes down that stretch sirens blaring, you can consistently hear about 10 of them light-up howling.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:30 pm

I've heard them at deer camp in Coshocton Co. so im going to try there after i try to get rid of the one eating the barn cats

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby t_baker » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:39 pm

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:I hear they are harder to hunt then deer. my buddy has one on his farm keeps eating her barn cats im going to try to take care of that for her

They are very hard to hunt. If they are liking barn cats you have it easy. Tie one up and get it squalling. Do it on a full moon with snow on the ground and wait. Dont move. Yotes can see the slightest movement from very far away. Thats what makes them such good hunters. Also hunt the wind. Dont let them smell you. Cover those bases and your good to go.
t_baker
hunter

Postby t_baker » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:44 pm

HNTFSH wrote:I haven't hunted yotes but do know they're crafty. Spot I hunt is near a heavily traveled State Route and when an ambulance goes down that stretch sirens blaring, you can consistently hear about 10 of them light-up howling.

Its crazy the things they will respond too. The two in the above pic were killed after running the locater sound on my Fox Pro. It was ran for 15 seconds. Turned it off and within 10 seconds they started going crazy. Those two sounded like 50 of them in the woods. I then ran a mouse squeak for another 30 seconds and shut it back off. Within 2 minutes they were ten feet from my call. I let the big male get farther out before I took the shot on him. Killed him at 80 yards roughly. Came back on the female and plugged her on the run at about 150. Its a rush. Once you kill the first one your hooked.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:51 pm

I've only killed one Coyote and that was in Michigan. Now that I've got my AR ready to go I'd like to try to get into it a little bit more.

I'm still going to try and shoot a couple geese before the end of the month.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby ohio mike » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:24 pm

Beagles+bunnies+snow=fun. And in my opinion they are the best eating of all game!
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:27 pm

ohio mike wrote:Beagles+bunnies+snow=fun. And in my opinion they are the best eating of all game!

Happy to report that 8 rabbits died today,and as a bonus a young dog circled his first rabbit today. Came home,had a rabbit dinner and watched the Packers kick the snot out of the Vikings. All in all a very fine day. :smile:
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby huntsem » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:44 am

Coyotes are the only predator that kills and eats sick deer and many nest robbing mammals (including those so called "barn" cats that like to roam far away from the barn). In some respects coyotes play an important and beneficial role in nature and really aren't the big ole nasty good for nothing varmint that many folks make them out to be.

Now those so called "barn" cats that like to roam around "outside the barn" are an entirely different matter. I wouldn't be so sure that it's only coyotes that are killing them.

huntsem
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:57 am

ohio mike wrote:
ohio mike wrote:Beagles+bunnies+snow=fun. And in my opinion they are the best eating of all game!

Happy to report that 8 rabbits died today,and as a bonus a young dog circled his first rabbit today. Came home,had a rabbit dinner and watched the Packers kick the snot out of the Vikings. All in all a very fine day. :smile:

:lol3: Does sound like a good day! :thumbsup:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby t_baker » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:06 am

huntsem wrote:*

Coyotes are the only predator that kills and eats sick deer and many nest robbing mammals (including those so called "barn" cats that like to roam far away from the barn). In some respects coyotes play an important and beneficial role in nature and really aren't the big ole nasty good for nothing varmint that many folks make them out to be.

Now those so called "barn" cats that like to roam around "outside the barn" are an entirely different matter. I wouldn't be so sure that it's only coyotes that are killing them.

So what your saying is that coyotes are beneficial because they eat sick deer? Wrong. Come sit on my back porch for a night and listen to the over population we have of them. Ten years ago I could go out on any given snowy day and kill a mess of rabbits. The past three years have been the worst years I have ever seen rabbit hunting. I know multiple people that have lost good dogs due to a pack of yotes coming into their back yards and killing their pet. My neighbor has/had 6 black and tans that were good dedicated coon dogs. 3 were killed in one night from a pack of yotes that walked fifteen feet from his back door and attacked his dogs.

If a deer is sick its going to die. Its natures way. Once dead there will still be things to eat it. And with all that said I have never once called in a yote using a fawn distress or other deer sound. However they will run to a rabbit distress without ever thinking twice about it. If a yote walks in front of me, its going to die. One way or another. Same with cats. Dont let fluffy cross my back yard. Ive got a safe full that will take care of it if my 85 lb Lab doesnt.
t_baker
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:59 am

I'd definitely pop a few if it didn't take so much time. Lose a hen house full of nice egg layers and you'll get a bad taste of Coyote. Helps when people can shut a door though. :rolleyes:

I haven't been anxious to hunt them but left unchecked what else will temper litters year after year?
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby t_baker » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:24 pm

HNTFSH wrote:I'd definitely pop a few if it didn't take so much time. Lose a hen house full of nice egg layers and you'll get a bad taste of Coyote. Helps when people can shut a door though. :rolleyes:

I haven't been anxious to hunt them but left unchecked what else will temper litters year after year?

It is addicting to say the least. Problem I have with is, if I am not killing them, what is? Without humans controlling the population its only going to get worse.

If you ever get anxious to kill them let me know. Like I said, I call and also hunt with a large group and push them like deer. I have 3000 acres that I would be happy to show you the ropes on. Not sure where your at, but I am about 1.5 hr from Columbus right up 33 to ST RT 117.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:23 pm

t_baker wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:I'd definitely pop a few if it didn't take so much time. Lose a hen house full of nice egg layers and you'll get a bad taste of Coyote. Helps when people can shut a door though. :rolleyes:

It is addicting to say the least. Problem I have with is, if I am not killing them, what is? Without humans controlling the population its only going to get worse.

If you ever get anxious to kill them let me know. Like I said, I call and also hunt with a large group and push them like deer. I have 3000 acres that I would be happy to show you the ropes on. Not sure where your at, but I am about 1.5 hr from Columbus right up 33 to ST RT 117.

Uh oh. Sounds like a DHC coyote killing party to me!
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby t_baker » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:41 pm

Botiz630 wrote:
t_baker wrote:

Uh oh. Sounds like a DHC coyote killing party to me!

Get ahold of me when we get the next snow, all we need is a inch (thats what she said) to track. Id be happy to take a few guys out.
t_baker
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:01 pm

Ha! Thanks for the offer. I'll have to beg out of that one, it's not my style of hunting but understand the appeal.

Ran into a group of 12 Yote hunters last year tracking a wounded one on Public land. Problem is - we'd been working the tract pheasant hunting over two dogs when the 'army' showed up, completely commanded and screwed up the acreage we were working, and pretty much pissed away our hunt for us.

I don't hold that against you (unless it was you) :lol3:. Kiddin...

Would be more in for a quieter, warm weather hunt set-up on a full moon. 1-2 guys on private property.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby t_baker » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:48 pm

HNTFSH wrote:Ha! Thanks for the offer. I'll have to beg out of that one, it's not my style of hunting but understand the appeal.

Ran into a group of 12 Yote hunters last year tracking a wounded one on Public land. Problem is - we'd been working the tract pheasant hunting over two dogs when the 'army' showed up, completely commanded and screwed up the acreage we were working, and pretty much pissed away our hunt for us.

I don't hold that against you (unless it was you) :lol3:. Kiddin...

Would be more in for a quieter, warm weather hunt set-up on a full moon. 1-2 guys on private property.

I totally understand. Our group is all family mostly. And close friends. We keep to our land and count it a loss when the yote goes elsewhere. I hate people stomping on my dirt and ruining hunts, so I wont do it to them. To many idiots these days.

As far as calling thats not a issue. My back door is some of the best coyote hunting ground in the area. I have family on the entire block (3-4) miles. Mostly all in CRP. I usually just make a big circle around the block. Makes the coyotes think that pack is moving and eating well for the night.
I also have permission for another 200-300 acre block across the road from my house. Bunch of little patch woods. I have been pretty successful back there also.
t_baker
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:51 pm

Sounds like a great set-up! :thumbsup: I have access to a small patch in southern Union county - not too far from you. Surrounded by Metro park which is mostly planted CRP - and restored wetland. A lot of unchecked Coyotes.

Might be fun to hook up this spring/summer and have you take a look - land owner and I have been thinking we need to thin some. Believe he bought an inexpensive caller and the 'shaking tail' gizmo but would guess that's more 'hope' something draws them than actually does 'fool them' in. :lol3:

Have had a few barking at a mojo over the years.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby t_baker » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:31 pm

HNTFSH wrote:Sounds like a great set-up! :thumbsup: I have access to a small patch in southern Union county - not too far from you. Surrounded by Metro park which is mostly planted CRP - and restored wetland. A lot of unchecked Coyotes.

Might be fun to hook up this spring/summer and have you take a look - land owner and I have been thinking we need to thin some. Believe he bought an inexpensive caller and the 'shaking tail' gizmo but would guess that's more 'hope' something draws them than actually does 'fool them' in. :lol3:

Have had a few barking at a mojo over the years.

Sounds like a plan. Alot better than laying in the snow. I bought ten mojos a few years back that all needed repair. Mostly just bad switches. Any how i have been meaning to jerk a motor out of one and hook a coon tail or something to it and let it spin. Just to see if it worked or not. Cheaper for me than buying one of the shakers.
t_baker
hunter

Next

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting