Any Plans Now that the season is over

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, jsa, cartervj, andrew_kirby

Re: Any Plans Now that the season is over

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:22 am

I would definetly be in for a spring/summer yote hunt im about an 1 1/2 N of Cbus right on 71 in Wayne Co
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby huntsem » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:31 pm

Coyotes kill and eat free roaming cats, racoons, weasels, fox, rodents, weakened and dead deer and yes rabbits too.
Not many critters control the nest robbers in Ohio and folks don't trap like they used to. If an outdoorsman can't see that coyotes do play a beneficial role in the balance of nature then they aren't seeing the big picture. If there's an overpopulation of them sure they should be hunted but they aren't the total villain that allot of folks make them out to be. If I had dogs tied out where coyotes could get at them and knew that coyotes are around it'd be a much better plan to put up a kennel rather than to expect to permanently kill all of the coyotes in the county.
huntsem
hunter

Postby t_baker » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:53 pm

huntsem wrote:Coyotes kill and eat free roaming cats, racoons, weasels, fox, rodents, weakened and dead deer and yes rabbits too.
Not many critters control the nest robbers in Ohio and folks don't trap like they used to. If an outdoorsman can't see that coyotes do play a beneficial role in the balance of nature then they aren't seeing the big picture. If there's an overpopulation of them sure they should be hunted but they aren't the total villain that allot of folks make them out to be. If I had dogs tied out where coyotes could get at them and knew that coyotes are around it'd be a much better plan to put up a kennel rather than to expect to permanently kill all of the coyotes in the county.

Buddy your barking up the wrong tree talking this jiberish to me. Think what you want and I will do the same. At the end of the day, I am going to shoot every coyote that walks withing shooting distance of what ever I have on my person at that given time. Dont come crying to me next time you let Fido out and a pack of these nasty critters snatches him up before you know what happened.

The OP asked what do we do after the season is over, and I answered it. If I said I got filthy drunk and beat my wife I would expect you to question my end of the season plans. But I am not. I am doing something I enjoy and spending time with my friends and family while doing it. The same thing I do during duck season.
t_baker
hunter

Postby huntsem » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:33 am

Buddy your barking up the wrong tree talking this jiberish to me. Think what you want and I will do the same. At the end of the day, I am going to shoot every coyote that walks withing shooting distance of what ever I have on my person at that given time....

I have no problem with coyote hunting but I've noticed that many hunters view and hunt coyotes with disdain and disrespect. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems this same notion is being repeated in allot of posts in this thread. Coyotes are a magnificent native species and play an important and respectful role in nature.

“The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant, "What good is it?" If the land mechanism as a whole is good, then every part is good, whether we understand it or not. If the biota, in the course of aeons, has built something we like but do not understand, then who but a fool would discard seemingly useless parts? To keep every cog and wheel is the first precaution of intelligent tinkering.”
― Aldo Leopold, Round River: From the Journals of Aldo Leopold

...“We reached the old wolf in time to watch a fierce green fire dying in her eyes. I realized then, and have known ever since, that there was something new to me in those eyes – something known only to her and to the mountain. I was young then, and full of trigger-itch; I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters’ paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view.”
― Aldo Leopold

It would do the hunting community, wildlife and the welfare of the planet allot of good if more folks paid more attention to the history, ideas and "jiberish" of great conservationists like Aldo Leopold. If not for folks like him we'd have very few, if any, animals or places to hunt at all. The planet needs more folks to understand this now more than ever. To encounter nature with a purposefully chosen narrow vision is to do so with an impoverished outcome and spirit .

http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/ ... do_Leopold

huntsem
hunter

Postby t_baker » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:22 pm

huntsem wrote:
I have no problem with coyote hunting but I've noticed that many hunters view and hunt coyotes with disdain and disrespect. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems this same notion is being repeated in allot of posts in this thread. Coyotes are a magnificent native species and play an important and respectful role in nature.

You must have missed my second statement. Since you did, I will add it again for you below.

The OP asked what do we do after the season is over, and I answered it. If I said I got filthy drunk and beat my wife I would expect you to question my end of the season plans. But I am not. I am doing something I enjoy and spending time with my friends and family while doing it. The same thing I do during duck season

If you dont agree with my hunting morals, I dont care. I obey every law, restriction, LST, limit, ect with everything I hunt. And I hunt ALOT. I grew up in a family full of hunters with the respect of other hunters and land owners. I enjoy hunting coyotes, nearly as much as I do waterfowl. And I hunt them because they are over populated in my area. I will be the first to tell you that one of the most amazing things you will ever hear/see is calling a pack of coyotes over a full moon and a field full of snow. They are amazing creatures. I seriously doubt that the amount of coyotes I kill in a year is going to be the result of an extinction.

So...What are your plans now that the season is over?
t_baker
hunter

Postby t_baker » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:22 pm

huntsem wrote:

You must have missed my second statement. Since you did, I will add it again for you below.

The OP asked what do we do after the season is over, and I answered it. If I said I got filthy drunk and beat my wife I would expect you to question my end of the season plans. But I am not. I am doing something I enjoy and spending time with my friends and family while doing it. The same thing I do during duck season

If you dont agree with my hunting morals, I dont care. I obey every law, restriction, LST, limit, ect with everything I hunt. And I hunt ALOT. I grew up in a family full of hunters with the respect of other hunters and land owners. I enjoy hunting coyotes, nearly as much as I do waterfowl. And I hunt them because they are over populated in my area. I will be the first to tell you that one of the most amazing things you will ever hear/see is calling a pack of coyotes over a full moon and a field full of snow. They are amazing creatures. I seriously doubt that the amount of coyotes I kill in a year is going to be the result of an extinction.

So...What are your plans now that the season is over?
t_baker
hunter

Postby huntsem » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:46 pm

Are coyotes a duck’s best friend?

Wildlife studies show that the presence of coyote populations in an area of the prairie pot hole region nearly doubled duck nest production due to coyotes preying on lower level predators and nest robbing mammals.

http://retrieverman.net/2012/08/07/are-coyotes-a-ducks-best-friend/
huntsem
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:49 am

Probably the last time we'll get out this year in PA. Scouted some the day before, nothing showed up the day we hunted. Such is life...

I'm gonna try to wrangle up a small boat for floating rivers and pot holes this summer, and expand the decoy spreads. Other than that just hurry up and wait.
Attachments
20130209_103850.jpg
I just pooped my pants.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Previous

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting