Now that NZ Season is over...

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Now that NZ Season is over...

Postby Craxty » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:00 pm

I have one private spot to hunt at. This is the last year I will have this place. This season it was dry as a bone because of the drought. We FINALLY got some rain and it filled in. Birds came right into it. 2 days later we get a snow front. It freezes over and the birds move to big water. Locked up solid until today.

I even took a week long trip to hunt way up in pot hole country in late nov. Despite duck hunting EVERY morning we ended up going to hunt pheasants and shoot clays at preserves every evening because there weren't any birds there either!

Oh yeah, I forgot about my trip to Magee Marsh on the lottery. 1 bird out of 12 hunters.

So today I sit in my home office and hundreds of geese are flying over my house, now that it was thawed, adding insult to a very disappointing year. Completely maddening... :mad:

Sorry I just had to vent.

Re: Now that NZ Season is over...

Postby BuckeyeZac » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:40 pm

I hear that Craxty... I will get back out there though. I'm close enough to SZ and we still have a goose split in NZ. My flooded corn fields may work out this weekend.
BuckeyeZac
hunter

Postby Craxty » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:52 pm

I totally forgot about the 3rd split for Goose. Maybe I'll swat some yet! Thanks for the reminder. :yes:

Postby t_baker » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Hmmm...mine wasnt to bad

I will say I had to work alot harder the last couple weeks with the ice and such. I got one of them waterproof sony cybershot cameras and have all those pictures on it. I will post them up when in the next day or so.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:32 pm

Nice teal birds, baker :thumbsup:
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby t_baker » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:46 pm

Botiz630 wrote:Nice teal birds, baker :thumbsup:

I wish there wasnt a limit on GWT. I could shoot them all day. They remind me of little crack heads. Always hauling ass back and forth all jittery and paranoid. When they finally do set in the decoys they plop down, sit a couple seconds and off they go again. They are for sure my favorite duck to shoot.
t_baker
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:59 am

They are good eating too. nice job baker I need to shoot some geese before the season is out I want to make Kabobs
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:45 pm

There are geese everywhere around here right now. I stopped and jump shot a pond on my way home from rabbit hunting and killed a pair. Could have killed a limit but had to shoot one twice and only had three steel shells with me. Nitro Steel 4's at 35 to40 yards.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:53 pm

ohio mike wrote:There are geese everywhere around here right now. I stopped and jump shot a pond on my way home from rabbit hunting and killed a pair. Could have killed a limit but had to shoot one twice and only had three steel shells with me. Nitro Steel 4's at 35 to40 yards.

The cold front came and they all went. Now its over.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby t_baker » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:47 pm

Thats no kidding Mike, I was killed my limit from last Thursday-Sunday. Was hunting the evening in the corn field next to my house. Took longer to drag the layout and set the decoys than it did to get them over and kill them. Everything froze up Sunday night-Monday morning and I haven't seen or heard them since. They normally sit just down the road from me in the fields next to The Little Auglaize.
t_baker
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:41 pm

I actually really hit the bunnies hard after Christmas. I've got a couple of beagles and rabbit is one of my favorite foods of all time. I could live on bunnies and bluegill. Don't deer hunt anymore cause I don't care for the taste. You wanna try something good make some Phillie Cheese Steak sandwichs with some of those geese.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:34 pm

ohio mike wrote:I actually really hit the bunnies hard after Christmas. I've got a couple of beagles and rabbit is one of my favorite foods of all time. I could live on bunnies and bluegill. Don't deer hunt anymore cause I don't care for the taste. You wanna try something good make some Phillie Cheese Steak sandwichs with some of those geese.

Thanks Mike. You reminded me I need to shoot a limit and fry 'em up. Haven't ate a rabbit in 10 years.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby BuckeyeZac » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:00 pm

ohio mike wrote:I actually really hit the bunnies hard after Christmas. I've got a couple of beagles and rabbit is one of my favorite foods of all time. I could live on bunnies and bluegill. Don't deer hunt anymore cause I don't care for the taste. You wanna try something good make some Phillie Cheese Steak sandwichs with some of those geese.

How about sharing the trick to the phillie cheese steak sandwiches!! I have 3 geese in the freezer and my past attempts at cooking tasty goose recipes have failed. I don't want to waste th emeat on another stinker meal.
BuckeyeZac
hunter

Postby t_baker » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:46 pm

If your looking for some fish, we have our fish fry at the game club February 9th, and one at the Fire Dept sometime in march. My wife usually takes the goose and cooks it all day in the crock pot, shreds it, adds BBQ sauce and puts biscuits in a muffin pan and makes a cup like shape. Fills them with the goose. Covers it in cheese and bakes it. Its pretty amazing. But I will definitely try the Steak and cheese, sounds good.
t_baker
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:50 pm

You guys are making me hungry! :hammer:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby t_baker » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:27 pm

We had a pretty good weekend with that little bit of snow we got. Killed 7 over all. Few got away from us but we will be back for them.

364 Steps out to this lady. She popped out of the woods and stopped. I was on a ridge shooting down to her, Held 3 inches over the top of her. Jerked when I shot, was a little far back, but it got my point across. She was dead by the time I got to her.

Truck load at the end of today.
t_baker
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:14 am

Very cool :thumbsup:
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:18 am

That's a pile of Yotes! Makes you realize how thick they really are in a lot of areas.

And FWIW - because Ohio Mike DID make me hungry with his Rabbit and Bluegill speak, I had to fry a couple pounds of Catfish last night to consume with potatoes and buttered bread. Not a Bluegill feast but close as I could come.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:17 pm

Nice work baker! I was up in MI this weekend trying to test my AR on a coyote. We followed tracks to a clearing, and set up thinking we might get a look. No dice.

I'm learning. :lol3:
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby t_baker » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:27 pm

HNTFSH wrote:That's a pile of Yotes! Makes you realize how thick they really are in a lot of areas.

And FWIW - because Ohio Mike DID make me hungry with his Rabbit and Bluegill speak, I had to fry a couple pounds of Catfish last night to consume with potatoes and buttered bread. Not a Bluegill feast but close as I could come.

They really are thick. These were all killed within a 5 square mile of each other. We never left the area we started at.

We were just talking down at the fire dept today that we were ready for our fish fry. I have a bunch of frog legs left from last summer that we are all excited to eat with our fish. We actually bought a extra fryer a couple years ago for all the random things we fry. We do shrimp, pickles, Snicker Bars, Oreos, and Hot dogs. Just for all of us guys out in the bays doing the cookin.
t_baker
hunter

Postby huntsem » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:44 pm

Are coyotes a duck’s best friend?

Wildlife studies show that the presence of coyote populations in an area of the prairie pot hole region nearly doubled duck nest production due to coyotes preying on lower level predators and nest robbing mammals.

http://retrieverman.net/2012/08/07/are-coyotes-a-ducks-best-friend/
huntsem
hunter

Postby t_baker » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:00 pm

Botiz630 wrote:Nice work baker! I was up in MI this weekend trying to test my AR on a coyote. We followed tracks to a clearing, and set up thinking we might get a look. No dice.

I'm learning. :lol3:

Sorry titz, I must have over looked your post. If your tracking you will have a good chance at taking a crack at one. Best advice I can give you is to learn the tracks. Age, running, walking, ect. If you have a good idea of the way he is going, cut him off. The chance of finding him that way is very good! Keep at it!
t_baker
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting