Question from my daughter

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, jsa, cartervj, andrew_kirby

Question from my daughter

Postby dale&missmollie » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:28 am

My daughter asked me a question tonight that I couldn't really answer.

She asked me if she went waterfowl hunting with me, but didn't want to carry a gun or shoot...and only work the dog....does she need a hunting license and/or stamps. (she is 12)

I have just signed her up for a hunter safety course but I still don't have the correct answer to give. I told her that I figured if she was touching ducks or geese or engaged in the retrieving part of hunting, that she would most likely be considered hunting.

Is that the correct answer?

Thanks
dale&missmollie
hunter

Re: Question from my daughter

Postby ohio mike » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:30 pm

I don't think so because she wouldn't be involved in the pursuit part. Take a camera along you don't need a license to film. :wink:
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:00 pm

Dale,

My understanding is that as long as someone does not participate or aid in the hunt at all they do not need a license. That means no calling, handling a gun, retrieving birds, etc.

If I were you I would call the DNR and ask them, that way you'll know for sure.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:43 pm

I take my 13 year old with me. As long as she doesnt have a gun she is fine
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:16 pm

Truthfully to maker her legal all she would need is a youth hunting license. No stamps until they are 15 or 16 if memory serves me correctly.

But with that being said, I would just take her. Make sure there isnt a spare gun laying around that they could nail you on. I personally think the green jeans should leave the kids be. Nothing rubs me more wrong then being checked during youth season.
t_baker
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:25 am

dale&missmollie wrote:My daughter asked me a question tonight that I couldn't really answer.

She asked me if she went waterfowl hunting with me, but didn't want to carry a gun or shoot...and only work the dog....does she need a hunting license and/or stamps. (she is 12)

I have just signed her up for a hunter safety course but I still don't have the correct answer to give. I told her that I figured if she was touching ducks or geese or engaged in the retrieving part of hunting, that she would most likely be considered hunting.

Is that the correct answer?

Thanks

I have a question for you.

What is the new hunter safety course like? The guy that did all of ours for years quit doing them about a year ago because he said they were all going to computers and changing a bunch. Since then I haven't seen any of the big orange course signs posted any where. Just been curious of the changes.
t_baker
hunter

Postby dale&missmollie » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:21 pm

[quote][/quote]The guy that teaches our is wonderful - He stresses ethics alot - does a great job.

my daughter is 12 and scored 100% on the test - I was very proud of her.

I thought the class was good - a very good mix of everything but different than what I did many years ago
dale&missmollie
hunter

Postby Lcso61 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:30 am

I work in law enforcement but am not a warden. I will tell you right now, no warden will even question a juvenile accompanying you on a hunt unless they are actively hunting. Their training is very different from mine, they are conservation officers first and law enforcement second. As long as you are polite and respectful upon encounting a warden you will have no problems. In the rare case you encounter a warden who is a rookie or lacks commons sense, just present your case to the judge. This sport is dependant upon the next generation and as long as they are non-hunting participants 99.9% of wardens will be very helpful to you. My experience in working with them is that they only "nit pick" when they believe more serious violations are occurring but are unable to prove it. The same is true with my job. If in doubt feel free to contact your local warden or district headquarters.
Lcso61
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting