question for u ohio boys

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

question for u ohio boys

Postby keith96 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:57 pm

Ok so im from ny and nxt year I'm applying for collage and i want to attend unoh in lima ohio i was wondering if yall knew if there was any places to duck hunt and where is it legal to hunt around that area I'm not lookin for anyone to give exsact locations or give up there honey hole but a generel location like whatt lakes and resevors any info bout this will be greatly appreceated u can pm me or jus post to this
(-true waterfowling-)
keith96
hunter

Re: question for u ohio boys

Postby ohio mike » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:19 pm

Lima has three huntable resevoirs the last I knew, and it sits between Indian and Grand Lakes. That's your first homework assignment.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:04 pm

Let me guess, Your going to UNOH so you can be a bad ass mechanic?? I donated over 20K to that stupid place before I told them to kick rocks. 90 % of the instructors are grads from the college and have never worked in a shop in their life. They are teaching you on outdated equipment. 99% of the students are idiots. Couldn't find you a crescent wrench if they had to. The whole school is a joke. Then once they get you there they will say OH you have student loans?!? Why don't you take out a extra 3 grand every session so you can get a refund check back that you can blow on useless college kid crap. (I was smart enough not to do this). They are all con artist. If you want to learn something, stay home and find a good shop willing to show you the ropes, you will learn leaps and bounds more from a good tech in a real life shop than you will at that chit hole.

If your going for something totally differnt, I have no advice. Just want to warn you before you come up here. Not trying to slam you by any means either. Assuming you start in August when the entire town gets molested by rusted out junk loud vehicles?

As far as duck hunting, check out the reservoirs in Lima, like Mike said. I have hunted them a couple times, usually can kill a few ducks. No gas motors though, all electric.

Bring some goose decoys and a layout, go haggle some farmers.
t_baker
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:38 pm

I'm gonna guess your not a fan of old diesel trucks with stacks made of old plumbing supplies. You aren't the one who hit Meirs? :hammer: :lol:
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:54 am

ohio mike wrote:I'm gonna guess your not a fan of old diesel trucks with stacks made of old plumbing supplies. You aren't the one who hit Meirs? :hammer: :lol:

I drive a dodge cummins, yes it blows smoke, and yes its loud. But I don't drive around town making sure everyone knows. No I don't have a stack, and no I don't drive with my tow mirrors out. Only members of the I.T.P.A. do such things. (Invisible Trailer Pulling Association)

I truly despise that school and the majority of its inhabitants.
t_baker
hunter

Postby keith96 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:57 pm

I already have one year of auto tech trainin start a secand year nxt year I'm ase sertified till 2015 and iv worked in shops befor and jus wana get my degree in it and unoh seemed like a fun place to do it
(-true waterfowling-)
keith96
hunter

Postby t_baker » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:40 am

keith96 wrote:I already have one year of auto tech trainin start a secand year nxt year I'm ase sertified till 2015 and iv worked in shops befor and jus wana get my degree in it and unoh seemed like a fun place to do it

There is nothing fun in Lima. What all do you have your ASE certs in? No point in the degree if you can pass the ASE tests. Dealers and shops don't need the degree, they want those certs. And ASE certs are NOT something you will get at UNOH. No classes or time goes towards a single ASE test.

What are you planning on taking?
Auto, Hi-Po, Diesel, Ag?
t_baker
hunter

Postby keith96 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:01 pm

My ase are only natef certs which is a jr ase I'm cert in brakes ,eletricl ,ans stearing n suspention
(-true waterfowling-)
keith96
hunter

Postby ItsADisease2120 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:34 pm

Your best bet is to start getting permission for corn fields around the area. Once the weather cools there is a HUGE influx of birds out by the prison. Figure out what fields they feed in that are outside city limits and enjoy. There is also a river close to the prison you could float for some wood ducks. Other than that there is Indian Lake and Grand Lake St. Mary's. Grand Lake sees heavy pressure and Indian Lake is heavy early and tapers off, both require boat or canoe. Find a local that will take ya out a few times and maybe let ya set up with them over the season. Goodluck
ItsADisease2120
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting