Molting

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, cartervj, jsa

Molting

Postby BuckeyeZac » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:15 pm

I have noticed the disappearance of drakes the last few days in my area. I suspect they are molting but I do not know the exact time frame that occurs. Anybody have any thoughts?
Last edited by BuckeyeZac on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuckeyeZac
hunter

Re: Molting

Postby t_baker » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:14 am

Spent a lot of time on the lake last week. They are molting. All the ducks looked like hell that I seen.
t_baker
hunter

Postby OrangeMilk » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:57 pm

I was at Schiller park yesterday and saw just 3 or 4 drakes and about 40 hens. The young drakes that were there did like hell.

There was a Male Canvasback though, I've never seen one of those at Schiller park
OrangeMilk
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:26 pm

t_baker wrote:Spent a lot of time on the lake last week. They are molting. All the ducks looked like hell that I seen.

Fishing? Pan or Saugeye?
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby t_baker » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:27 am

ohio mike wrote:
t_baker wrote:Spent a lot of time on the lake last week. They are molting. All the ducks looked like hell that I seen.

Fishing? Pan or Saugeye?

Yes sir. Monday we went after the Saugeye. Caught 8, only 3 were keepers. Wednesday my wife wanted to lay out so I just bass fished. Caught a few nice ones, and 1 nice Saugeye on a Rapala shad rap over by Taco Bell. (pure luck). Finished out the day over by North Fork and the Chanel that takes you to Long View Cove, caught a nice mess of blue gill we cleaned and ate that night.

I got my new motor done and on the boat so my whole goal for the week was to run it around and make sure I wasnt going to find any more issues. So I never really sat in one place to long.
t_baker
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:09 am

OrangeMilk wrote:I was at Schiller park yesterday and saw just 3 or 4 drakes and about 40 hens. The young drakes that were there did like hell.

There was a Male Canvasback though, I've never seen one of those at Schiller park

Wooster?
“The Blue Book says we've got to go out and it doesn't say a damn thing about having to come back.” -
Captain Patrick Etheridge, USLSS
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting