Pigeon and other Game Bird hunting

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Pigeon and other Game Bird hunting

Postby Boomn4x4 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:40 am

Are Pigeons legal to shoot in Ohio? Also I see in the regulations that game birds are defined as ringneck pheasants, bobwhite quail, ruffed grouse, sharp-tailed grouse, pinnated grouse, wild turkey, Hungarian partridge, Chukar partridge, woodcocks, crows, black-breasted plover, golden plover, Wilson’s snipe or jacksnipe, greater and lesser yellowlegs, rail, coots, gallinules, duck, geese, mourning doves, and brant.

Some of those birds such as the partridge, jacksnipe, and yellowlegs are not defined as having a season or bag limit in the regulations. Should it be assumed that even though they are considered "game birds" they don't have a season or bag limit?
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby gone winchester » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:59 am

We shoot them with pellet guns in our barn. They poop all over everything in there. Im not sure if it is legal but I still shoot them anyways to keep them out of are barn.
"Please be 18"-Ricky Bobby
gone winchester
Banned

Postby Boomn4x4 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:38 am

Found it! Ohio Revised Code Section 1533.07 Protection afforded nongame birds.

1533.07. Protection afforded nongame birds.

No person shall catch, kill, injure, pursue, or have in the person's possession, either dead or alive, or purchase, expose for sale, transport, or ship to a point within or without the state, or receive or deliver for transportation any bird other than a game bird, or have in the person's possession any part of the plumage, skin, or body of any bird other than a game bird, except as permitted in Chapter 1531. and this chapter of the Revised Code, or disturb or destroy the eggs, nest, or young of such a bird.

This section does not prohibit the lawful taking, killing, pursuing, or possession of any game bird during the open season for the bird. Hawks or owls causing damage to domestic animals or fowl may be killed by the owner of the domestic animal or fowl while the damage is occurring. Bald or golden eagles and ospreys shall not be killed or possessed at any time, except that eagles or ospreys may be possessed for educational purposes by governmental or municipal zoological parks, museums, and scientific or educational institutions. European starlings, English sparrows, and common pigeons, other than homing pigeons, may be killed at any time and their nests or eggs may be destroyed, at any time. Blackbirds may be killed at any time when doing damage to grain or other property or when they become a nuisance.
Boomn4x4

Postby gone winchester » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:57 am

Well atleast it was about 5yrs ago, the last time I shot one...ooopps
"Please be 18"-Ricky Bobby
gone winchester
Banned

Postby Boomn4x4 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:58 am

I think you miss read that..... You are allowed to shoot them
Boomn4x4

Postby big-fields » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:04 pm

Totally legal. Find a barn that has a good flock circling and ask the farmer for permission. Most times they'll look at you like your strange, but 9 times out of 10 its a go. Plus it can lead you into other chances of hunting his land. Good luck

Aaron
big-fields
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting