Draw Hunts

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Draw Hunts

Postby vtcupped'n'locked » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:02 am

Well results are up for those that have been waiting. Second year in a row that I only got drawn for Mercer, and my draw date is so late this year that it will either be really good or locked solid. Who out there did get drawn?
vtcupped'n'locked
hunter

Re: Draw Hunts

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:35 am

I didn't for Metzger or Magee. 2 years in a row i've been skunked
And a Desert Eagle that's one great big ol' pistol
I mean .50 caliber made by badazz Hebrews
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby vtcupped'n'locked » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:37 am

Metzger isnt draw, only Ottawa, Mercer, Pickerel, and Magee along with several others that I am missing.
vtcupped'n'locked
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:40 am

Oh i thought you ment the send in lottery my bad
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby vtcupped'n'locked » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:50 am

No the online drawing for days to hunt on those areas.
vtcupped'n'locked
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:07 am

vtcupped'n'locked wrote:No the online drawing for days to hunt on those areas.

They changed the rules for killbuck here. Now they are only drawing for the first week, not the whole first split like last year
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby sc83 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:03 pm

I got picked for Ottawa on 11/16, an the Ravenna deer hunt on 11/9.
sc83
hunter

Postby OrangeMilk » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:04 pm

I only entered for Magee, and did not hit.

My dad did a couple of others and got nothing.
OrangeMilk
hunter

Postby andrew_kirby » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:16 pm

put in for magee and a few deer hunt draws and didnt get a thing like usual.
andrew_kirby
State Moderator

Postby Craxty » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:47 am

Mosquito 12/17 for adult waterfowl.

I'm not sure why Mosquito is in the lottery for waterfowl like that. They usually do the M/W/F/S 5:15 daily draw. Are they not doing that this year?

The lottery is usually just for deer.

Postby sc83 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:13 am

the mosquito hunts are for the field hunts on the refuge. The daily draws are for the marsh units.
sc83
hunter

Postby Craxty » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:09 pm

Interesting. I've done a lot of the marsh hunts. Have you ever done one of the field hunts? What is it like? Would I bring my own layout blind or do they have blinds available?

Any info you have is appreciated.

Thanks

Postby Craxty » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:20 pm

Ah. Just found this tidbit.

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/2010/10/0 ... h_1109_02/

MOSQUITO CREEK WILDLIFE AREA
At the top of Kramer’s list for public honker hunting in his district is 9,500-acre Mosquito Creek Wildlife Area. He cites the area’s considerable acreage that is planted primarily with corn, which is heavily utilized by resident and migratory Canadas.

Mosquito Creek Wildlife Area is known for its annual lottery goose hunts, where the names of fortunate hunters who enter a drawing each August are drawn and awarded a day in a pre-built blind. But there are walk-in hunting opportunities at the Trumbull County wildlife area as well.

Four days each week during the waterfowl-hunting season (Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday), there are two drawings for half-day waterfowl hunts in 18 locations on the area.

The early drawing, which takes place about 5:15 a.m., offers hunters a chance to get in on the action from one-half hour before sunrise until noon. An 11 a.m. drawing awards winners the option of hunting the same spots from 1 p.m. until sunset.

In addition, if any of the advance lottery winners cancel their participation or are late in getting to their assigned blinds, those prime, pre-built hunting locations are awarded to lucky walk-in hunters via a lottery format.

Unlike the spots awarded to hunters who participate in the advance drawings, the walk-in waterfowl hunting locations at Mosquito Creek Wildlife Area do not include blinds, so hunters must use naturally occurring vegetation for concealment or bring a portable blind to fool geese into flying within shooting range.

Most of the blind sites are adjacent to 7,850-acre Mosquito Creek Reservoir and feature pass-shooting over habitat that is a mix of marsh land and crop fields where the geese trade between safe roosting waters and adjacent feeding grounds.

In addition to the public hunting opportunities organized by the ODOW, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers maintains an easement around much of the lake that is open to hunting, and private property owners in the area (who must possess a special permit and record harvest figures) usually allow access for hunting, especially late in the season when fewer hunters come knocking.

Goose hunters at Mosquito Reservoir typically set up on points, but care must be taken to set up at least 200 yards from shore blinds that have been erected by hunters who won the spots in a pre-season lottery organized by the state park. Goose hunting from boats is popular at Mosquito Lake as well. A launch ramp off state Route 88, and another north of Pikie Bay, is used by goose hunters who hunt off the points or along the buoys marking the refuge line, hoping to get a shot at geese flying to and from the restricted area.

Mosquito Creek Wildlife Area is along state Route 88 at Mecca and state Route 46, five miles northeast of Warren.

Maps and more information are available by calling the ODOW’s District Three office at (330) 644-2293, or visit www.wildohio.com.

Read more: http://www.gameandfishmag.com/2010/10/0 ... z2dr51rk8O

Postby sc83 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:32 pm

I think they did away with the blinds this yr. Just bring a layout if ya got it. Or just stand in the corn.
sc83
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting