Noobie in need--please take me under your wing!

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Noobie in need--please take me under your wing!

Postby Saepis » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:04 am

I'm a relatively new hunter, both generally and to waterfowl. Got a late start (around my mid-30's after I inherited my father-in-law's guns he wanted me to have to remember him). I decided to start hunting both as a way to commune with him in spirit, as well as to further my access to great food sources (I love to cook). After my cousin dragged me to a hunter safety course and we hit the field, I have definitely gotten bit!

I've been on pheasant hunts on preserves, hit the fields for rabbit, and have gone out for goose a few times (with the support of my neighbor who was gracious enough to loan me some Canada shells). Unfortunately, my neighbor (who is great) leases land with some friends and the group limits who can tag along to avoid overcrowding, etc. (which I can totally respect). That leaves me (generally together with my cousin) to fend for myself.

I live in Brunswick/Medina County and have spent most of my time either near Spencer Lake or out toward La Due and Grand River, but want to diversify.

Curious if anyone:

A) has any advice for the noobie waterfowler in NE Ohio?
B) would be willing to let a couple of noobs tag along on duck/goose hunts?

Any help or offers are greatly appreciated!
--saepis--
Saepis
Newb

Re: Noobie in need--please take me under your wing!

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:09 am

I sent you a PM
quacknstack6 wrote:It's Shaun douchenozzle.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Re: Noobie in need--please take me under your wing!

Postby ChocDawg » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:54 am

When you have open water you can try Killbuck Marsh (~1hr south of Medina), Willow Point Wildlife Area on Sandusky Bay has easy access. Enter the ODNR lotteries for Magee & Ottowa hunts next year. If you have a boat hunting Magee during the 2nd split is good with open water. Field hunting is a option, but requires lots of scouting. Enter drawings for blinds at local wildlife areas (see ODNR pages, next year though).
ChocDawg
Newb

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting