OH firearm licensure

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, cartervj, jsa

OH firearm licensure

Postby Atlantic Junkie » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:23 pm

Hello all,

As I posted recently, we might be coming to Cleveland for the next 5 or so years (maybe longer - will find out mid-March). I'm in MA now and have passed through the fairly tight/many hoops to get a class A/large capacity/all lawful purpose/conceal and carry permit. I only own a shotgun, but out here the fewer restrictions the better (kind of a tight climate wrt firearms), so I went for the permit.

Anyone know what's involved in OH? Are there different classes of permit? :help: In PA (our most recent stint before MA), all you needed was a pulse and you could keep a shotgun.....

Internet search indicates that there are no real permits required but that a handgun owners ID card (?) is required in Cleveland jurisdiction - any effect on shotguns? Just hard to sort out. If someone could even point me to a site with actual rather than sumamrized state/local regs, that'd be great (probably going to be in Shaker Heights, as my wife likes it). If I were better at Google, it probably wouldn't be an issue. :yes:

Thanks much!

Matt
Like I need a reason to get on the water
Atlantic Junkie
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:38 pm

Hey Matt,

Was just in Burlington and Bedford on business this week.

Anyway...I can't point you to a Reg's section mainly because the law in Ohio is darn simple. You don't need any permit to own or transport a shotgun. You will need a permit in certain municipalities to buy a shot gun but not in others.

The Ohio Concelaed Carry permit is for Concealed Carry. Boil it down and you can't really take one anywhere concealed so I didn't bother.

But for hunting...you are free and easy in Ohio for owning and transporting a shotgun for hunting.

Does that help?
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Atlantic Junkie » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:44 am

THanks HNTFSH,

Does indeed help. Pretty simple and VERY different than MA.

As I said, I'm not really looking to conceal and carry, just to make it easier getting to and from hunting spots. So if it's that simple, I'm set.

As a follow up, do you know if it's the same for rifles? A buddy of mine on the West side is a deer hunter and I was thinking I'd try it (seems a little slow, but why not give it a go...).

Too bad you weren't able to get out for the last of the season on the salt while you were out here - it FINALLY got cold! Next time.

Thanks again - looking forward to downing some divers and maybe a mallard (never dropped a mallard - seems like every waterfowler should, though).

Best,
Matt
Like I need a reason to get on the water
Atlantic Junkie
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:03 am

great...the saltwater hunt is on the list of things to do!

I fuigured as much on carry...I think the 'law' says you transport the shotgun breach open or enclosed in a case. Pretty standard stuff.

On rifles it would be the same but Ohio doems not allow deer hunting with Rifles. Squirrels, groundhogs, etc - yes.

If you want to hunt deer in Ohio (and you should) my recommendation is Blackpowder. More like a rifle than a slug (for sure) and there are more hunting days available for blackpowder than shotgun (although you can use your BP gun during the shotgun period.

Lemme know if I didn't answer the question or mistook it!
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting