What to expect

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

What to expect

Postby Swamp Thang » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:42 pm

I live in NC have a sister that lives in Piqua,OH I have permission to hunt private land in that area for the 2007/2008 season was wondering what to expect as far as types of birds and numbers in that area the land we will be hunting from my understanding borders the miami river have never hunted OH but can't wait until next season to give it a try any info. would be appretiated which season is the best etc. thanks and good luck the rest of this season :thumbsup:
Swamp Thang
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:44 pm

Swamp,

Piqua is farm country and you can hunt the river and/or any surrounding ponds that draw from being near the river. Field hunting would be good after crops are taken in especially after a heavy rain when the food floats.

Ealry and late season all depends on weather. Typivcally early season is all resident mallards and geese but the Teal are coming trhough and the Woodies are active. Late season gets thin on the locals unless it gets cold up north and we get migration. That didn't happen this year.

If you can get up here and spend a few days looking it over you'll get a better idea. Overall there's some good hunting but we aren't in a flyway.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Swamp Thang » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:59 pm

appretiate the info. hope to be able to take a week and check it out didn't realize you boys were not in a fly zone still good to hear there are plenty of resident birds thanks for the info. no matter the outcome it will still be an enjoyable trip haven't been to the buckeye state since i was a kid and never went any farther west than the burbank area hope to be able to see a little more of the state while i'm there thanks again for the info. and good luck to ya
Swamp Thang
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting