Mosquito Creek Wildlife Area

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Mosquito Creek Wildlife Area

Postby Craxty » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:31 am

I've got a permit for a field hunt tomorrow at Mosquito from the controlled hunt drawing. It's about 3 hours away from me. I'm willing to make the drive if the area isn't locked down due to ice and snow. I was up there at Thanksgiving and the late was already freezing over. Can someone give me an update on the conditions there and whether it is justified to drive 3 hours to use the permit or if the place is totally locked up due to ice and weather.

I left a message at the refuge station but I have not gotten a return call yet.

Thanks in advance

Re: Mosquito Creek Wildlife Area

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:36 pm

I would think that there is ice. but it looks like a pretty good creek/river flowing thru it. If that is open/ running I think the shooting would be good. Hell give it a shot whats a 3 hr dive
And a Desert Eagle that's one great big ol' pistol
I mean .50 caliber made by badazz Hebrews
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby CamoDan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:06 pm

I hunted mosquito lake Wednesday w my brother and we did well, 5 mallards and 2 black ducks. Ice in bays and creeping out into lake. Went back Thursday and it was locked up, there were a bunch of geese somewhere bc we heard them and saw groups flying. It's safe to say the lake is still frozen, but there are birds around. A field hunt is by far best option, Good luck if you decide to hunt it.
CamoDan
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:15 pm

How did you do craxty?

Application pending for Duck Commander Pro-Staff
And a Desert Eagle that's one great big ol' pistol
I mean .50 caliber made by badazz Hebrews
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby Craxty » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:49 pm

Hey sorry for the long delay!

I gave it a shot. It was a hell of a snowy cold day. I was given my corn plot to setup by and did so relatively easy. I sat out there freezing my *** off in my layout blind for hours. By 11 am I was about to pack up as I didn't see a single bird. Just as I said I feared that it was so harsh that all the birds moved on. The lake was totally frozen over and it was nasty outside. By 11:15 though, to my surprise, wave after wave of honkers came in. Out of a ton of birds I only had 2 commit to my spread. My damn gun got caught up in my white sheet that I had over my layout blind. After that it was very apparent that those birds new exactly where everyone was setup. I'm sure they are wise from week-after-week of getting shot at. They would fly overhead but they knew they should be high. What I needed was a punt gun!

http://static4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... nt_gun.jpg

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting